The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Inter put on a footballing masterclass across those two legs.  Beautiful.

In terms of defending at Camp Nou, it was a lesson in tactical discipline and concentration, I agree.

@Persie_Official Robin van Persie

Thanks all AFC fans 4 tonight played vs a great team and a even better ref. He had a absolute shocker tonight think we all agree on this 1

Yes, Robin.  The ref was crap, he completely missed a blatant pen for Barcelona.

He did and he made lots of odd decisions that went against both sides.

Actually the best footballing side I've ever seen.

Inter had more luck than Terry Mac in the first leg. Barca wrongly flagged offside twice, Inter's 3rd a mile offside but not flagged..........

Can't believe some of the commentary saying the refereeing had any bearing on the game. Absolutely cringeworthy stuff and seems to be an obsession in english football at the moment.

Like I said, they've got their ready-made excuse now. It'll forever be there to justify the inadeqacies of the English side in this case. In fact, this is exactly the same thing that happened after the WC (and every England exit from a major tournament in history).

Haddaway man, an incredible example of tactical dicipline, organisation and commitment. But Beautiful and an example 'footballing' greatness? Not for me like, and this coming from an Inter sympathiser.

Arsenal defended like champs. Had the same game plan as last time and were exercising it well. One foot in the the next round before the referee changed the game.

Of course Barcelona dominated possession and shots. But that wasn't Arsenal's game tonight.

Barca may be the better side going forward, but Arsenal were still robbed.

There's no way they were robbed man, for one thing the referee missed at least two penalties they should have had.

They defending bravely, but last-ditch defending for 90 minutes is never going to get you through. It isn't a game plan either.

First leg they did the same thing. Contain Barcelona, let them have their fun, then strike in the second half when they lose interest. Definitely game plan there.

Once again we saw Barcelona score first, then in the second half Arsenal were getting back into it.

Must have missed the second penalty shout, only saw the Messi foul... which was right on the edge of the box. Even if the ref had called it a foul it would be a legitimate coin toss as to whether it was a penalty or not.

Also Bendtner broke into the box and was sandwiched by 3 Barcelona players (they can't all have won the ball)... it's all ifs and buts when it comes to penalty decisions. However, regardless of whether or not you approve of, or recognise, Arsenal's tactics the fact remains they had their noses in front and a very bad refereeing decision changed the outcome entirely.

Had RVP stayed on the pitch I would have fully expected Arsenal to go through. Just because they were playing negatively doesn't mean there's no injustice.

Arsenal's attempted to contain, yes, but they didn't do it very well. Time and time again Barca opened them up and Arsenal were incredibly lucky not to have conceded more over the course of the 2 legs.

Nah.

Think about Arsenal playing in the Premier League. It's a constant complaint that they dominate games but struggle to finish most of their moves. Do they get any sympathy? Do they shite... and quite right. The aim is to put the ball in the net.

Against Barcelona it's a role reversal. Barcelona get into the Arsenal box but get crowded out by a very well organised defence. Barcelona kept trying the same moves again and again, practically passing it into the net, and had little joy most of the time. Difference is, Barcelona get the sympathy there where Arsenal having the same trouble against Wolves simply wouldn't.

I think there's an element of "but it's Barcelona" when you're evaluating this. No different to the Sky Sports wanking over the "big 4".

Guest firetotheworks

Martin Tyler seemed to see it as it is. Alan Smith is useless, at 3-1 he said 'It's a huge mountain for Arsenal to climb now.' to which Tyler replied with silence and then '...but then of course if Arsenal score, they go through.'

Later Alan Smith said that the decisions had a huge bearing on the match, to which again Tyler kind of sat guffawed to and then laughed before saying that Barca had been undoubtedly good value for the win, and that the decisions were probably irrelevant.

Martin Tyler seemed to see it as it is. Alan Smith is useless, at 3-1 he said 'It's a huge mountain for Arsenal to climb now.' to which Tyler replied with silence and then '...but then of course if Arsenal score, they go through.'

Later Alan Smith said that the decisions had a huge bearing on the match, to which again Tyler kind of sat guffawed to and then laughed before saying that Barca had been undoubtedly good value for the win, and that the decisions were probably irrelevant.

Ah is that who the co-commentator was. I was wondering. Yeah it was when he said that I just cringed.

Got any more commentary transcripts? I enjoyed those ones...

Arsenal defended like champs. Had the same game plan as last time and were exercising it well. One foot in the the next round before the referee changed the game.

Of course Barcelona dominated possession and shots. But that wasn't Arsenal's game tonight.

There's no way they were robbed man, for one thing the referee missed at least two penalties they should have had.

They defending bravely, but last-ditch defending for 90 minutes is never going to get you through. It isn't a game plan either.

First leg they did the same thing. Contain Barcelona, let them have their fun, then strike in the second half when they lose interest. Definitely game plan there.

Once again we saw Barcelona score first, then in the second half Arsenal were getting back into it.

Must have missed the second penalty shout, only saw the Messi foul... which was right on the edge of the box. Even if the ref had called it a foul it would be a legitimate coin toss as to whether it was a penalty or not.

Also Bendtner broke into the box and was sandwiched by 3 Barcelona players (they can't all have won the ball)... it's all ifs and buts when it comes to penalty decisions. However, regardless of whether or not you approve of, or recognise, Arsenal's tactics the fact remains they had their noses in front and a very bad refereeing decision changed the outcome entirely.

Had RVP stayed on the pitch I would have fully expected Arsenal to go through. Just because they were playing negatively doesn't mean there's no injustice.

Arsenal's attempted to contain, yes, but they didn't do it very well. Time and time again Barca opened them up and Arsenal were incredibly lucky not to have conceded more over the course of the 2 legs.

Nah.

Think about Arsenal playing in the Premier League. It's a constant complaint that they dominate games but struggle to finish most of their moves. Do they get any sympathy? Do they shite... and quite right. The aim is to put the ball in the net.

Against Barcelona it's a role reversal. Barcelona get into the Arsenal box but get crowded out by a very well organised defence. Barcelona kept trying the same moves again and again, practically passing it into the net, and had little joy most of the time. Difference is, Barcelona get the sympathy there where Arsenal having the same trouble against Wolves simply wouldn't.

I think there's an element of "but it's Barcelona" when you're evaluating this. No different to the Sky Sports wanking over the "big 4".

But Barcelona get the goals eventually - surely this is the difference? Nothing to do with sympathy. Barcelona didn't draw 0-0 tonight, so I don't see where the relevance of your comparison here is.

If you mean periods within a game, then yes, Barca can overcomplicate things and try to pass it into the net, just like Arsenal, so there is a similarity there, to which the response would be the same: just have a bloody shot.

Guest firetotheworks

Got any more commentary transcripts? I enjoyed those ones...

Congratulations.

Can't believe some of the commentary saying the refereeing had any bearing on the game. Absolutely cringeworthy stuff and seems to be an obsession in english football at the moment.

Like I said, they've got their ready-made excuse now. It'll forever be there to justify the inadeqacies of the English side in this case. In fact, this is exactly the same thing that happened after the WC (and every England exit from a major tournament in history).

Spot on.

Nah.

But Barcelona get the goals eventually - surely this is the difference? Nothing to do with sympathy. Barcelona didn't draw 0-0 tonight, so I don't see where the relevance of your comparison here is.

Point being that Arsenal looked competent in the main. Barcelona had more possession and got in behind a few times but Arsenal defended well. Lost count of how many times Messi & co had the ball stolen off their toes just when they thought they were in. Some of Arsenal's defending was just as great to watch as Barcelona's attacking.

Just because Barcelona were dominant doesn't automatically mean goals were going to follow.

You mention "over the two legs" but how many chances in the first leg did Barcelona really squander? That Messi one-on-one is about the only clear cut chance they had that you'd expect them to have buried.

Negative though it was, Arsenal had a game plan for the these games and got 3/4 of the way to the next round. A piss poor sending off cost them the game.

Guest firetotheworks

Spot on.

The last time I've known anyone other than the FA/The Manager/The Players to be blamed is when England lost to Holland before the '94 WC.

Football's a strange game though. Despite being thoroughly outplayed, if it had been Van Persie rather than Bendtner on the end of that chance in the final few minutes, he'd have probably scored and Barca would have gone out.

Haddaway man, an incredible example of tactical dicipline, organisation and commitment. But Beautiful and an example 'footballing' greatness? Not for me like, and this coming from an Inter sympathiser.

Only conflict here is between our interpretations of what is 'beautiful football'.  No worries.

Football's a strange game though. Despite being thoroughly outplayed, if it had been Van Persie rather than Bendtner on the end of that chance in the final few minutes, he'd have probably scored and Barca would have gone out.

And if Messi's perfectly legal goal in the first leg would have stood it wouldn't have mattered if Arsenal scored that chance.

Indeed.  This is one of the big issues I have from a purely competitive perspective with this Barcelona side.

True. Also if Villa had a more decisive game it could of been 5 or 6 to Barca.

how are the decisions irelevant :lol:

Barca deserved the win, no doubt it was a fucking dommination, but as Luca has pointed out if Arsenak did this in the Premiership (dominated the game withought puting there chances away) and then eventualy win partly due to an awful decision, there would be uproar about how it's just the usual refs favouring the big team, and the little team was robbed.

Again not taking anything away from Barcelona's performance, but you cannot discount the sending off just because of this dominance.