The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

45' Benfica 3-0 Aston Villa

4-1 now, Carew just pulled one back.  They're probably shagged from playing 2 days in a row, although I have no idea how many players have played both games.

First goal is classic Raúl.

Was Raul a poacher then ? I have never really paid any attention to him but I was always under the impression that he is similar to Del Piero :-/

Raúl has never been a trequartista. He used to cover more pitch in his early days though. Would drop to the flank and be involved in the build up before coming in the box. He suffered a tremendous slump when he was 27-28, which I guess it's understandable when he'd been playing 30+ games a season since he was 17, and reinvented himself as a poacher kinda player with great success. Not dissimilar to what happened to Shearer I guess.

I wouldn't say he's "just a poacher" though, he's just an extremely intelligent forward and has a great football brain. Reads the game very well and positions himself to make the most of it.

Now I have to go wash my mouth after praising Raúl.

Gotta say I despise Raúl but in a good way. He pretty knowingly built himself into a hate figure for us and football wouldn't just be the same without stuff like that.

His most iconic moment, which he did after scoring against us at Camp Nou http://www.corazonblanco.com/media/galeria/44/6/5/9/4/o_real_madrid_raul_gonzalez-54956.jpg

cunt :thup: