The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Still can't see this 'improvement' in Lennon's game Spur's fans go on about. Is it the type of improvement that has improved him from s*** to average?

Huddlestones ability is ridiculous. There's just something missing.

Ability?  :pow:

His technique, passing, vision is all pretty damn good.

Consistency. For every class moment he'll have they'll be 20 s*** ones.

Lennon has improved ten-fold. He's my idea of a perfect winger.

And yeah, you're right about Huddlestone. If he could sort that out he'd be insane.

If I make it as a coach, I'll have to remember not to ask you to become my scout if I need a winger! I don't know, he could be good, but I just can't see it. Perhaps its my dislike of Spurs in general (which has no basis at all other than they're over rated).

:lol:

Nah, I just like wingers with heaps of pace/acceleration, good dribbling ability and a good delivery. 'Perfect' was maybe a bit ott!

Holy shit, the FSC guy that looks exactly like Steven Taylor works for ESPN now?

He started at the beginning of summer, does ESPNews and hosts soccer shit.

Fake Steven Taylor is moving up in the world.

He can only go so far with lines like his, still want him to commentate an ESPN game and use his trademark "YEEEESSSSSS!"

Sidenote: Stuck in a Starbucks in Ann Arbor, MI because our normal pub isn't open when they said they would, dammit.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Main improvement for Lennon has been his tracking back, really, though his crossing and decision-making HAVE improved (honestly). Teams generally have to double-up on him, which leaves the RB exposed to Bale. I'm happy with that.

That's mainly due to poor Full Backs though. I think I'd be comfortable asking my Full Back to show him down the channel, possibly even risk asking him to attack so Lennon is on the backfoot - though could be risky. I don't think he mixes it up enough to really test a Full Back, if he could really sort his crosses out and have some deep ones now and again he'd be harder to defend as you wouldn't know if you should go tight (stop early deep crosses) or drop off to stop him making his runs. At the moment you pretty much know he's going to run at you and cross from the byline, occasionally he'll cut inside, but he'll run at you.

That's right, and he's not super-tricky, but with his pace all he needs is a sniff and he's away. That's why he'll keep players nervous, and with Modric and the Hudd so good at passing the full-back and covering RM/CB can't lose concentration for a second. He's great in a team that uses pace and clever passing - and a clever RB - which is why he hasn't really worked for England yet.

But a good FB will pick his game up after 10 minutes and know that he'll just run at him, drop off a little wait for that run, track it, show him down the wing and try to block the cross. Take Bale as an example of the opposite type of winger, in the same game, he's running at his full back, going down the channel then he mixes it up with cutting inside, pulling the FB in (leaving the overlap open). On top of that he'll look up now and again and put in a deep swinging cross to the back post. Richards (who admittedly isn't the best) is having a nightmare trying to mark him, as he can't tell if Bale will sit deep and cross, or run at him.

Still can't see this 'improvement' in Lennon's game Spur's fans go on about. Is it the type of improvement that has improved him from s*** to average?

And yeah, you're right about Huddlestone. If he could sort that out he'd be insane.

If I make it as a coach, I'll have to remember not to ask you to become my scout if I need a winger! I don't know, he could be good, but I just can't see it. Perhaps its my dislike of Spurs in general (which has no basis at all other than they're over rated).

You think we're over-rated after that first half? You're a tough man to please!

Since Redknapp took over, though I think thats more to do with Redknapp, people have been talking as if Spurs have been contenders since the Premier League have started, with a bit of a blip under Ramos!  :lol: 1st half has been decent, but if you were really a good team you'd have put one of those chances away, despite how good Joe Hart had been. I think City's disorganised s**** has flattered you too. They can't hold onto the ball, which means they can't get settled, which means the defence hasn't had a chance to regroup, so its on a cycle at the moment.

I get what you're saying, but the reason they can't hold onto the ball is because we're constantly harrying them, and when we get the ball we have plenty of options. I don't think we've been flattered at all because we've played really well and I don't think City have been particularly bad. We're the reason they can't get settled. The only chance we "should" have put away was probably the Defoe one over the top, on every other one the Spurs guy did pretty much exactly what he should have done.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You think we're over-rated after that first half? You're a tough man to please!

Since Redknapp took over, though I think thats more to do with Redknapp, people have been talking as if Spurs have been contenders since the Premier League have started, with a bit of a blip under Ramos!  :lol: 1st half has been decent, but if you were really a good team you'd have put one of those chances away, despite how good Joe Hart had been. I think City's disorganised s**** has flattered you too. They can't hold onto the ball, which means they can't get settled, which means the defence hasn't had a chance to regroup, so its on a cycle at the moment.

I get what you're saying, but the reason they can't hold onto the ball is because we're constantly harrying them, and when we get the ball we have plenty of options. I don't think we've been flattered at all because we've played really well and I don't think City have been particularly bad. We're the reason they can't get settled. The only chance we "should" have put away was probably the Defoe one over the top, on every other one the Spurs guy did pretty much exactly what he should have done.

Its not 100% Tottenham's pressure that's contributing to City's really poor 1st half. They have very little movement, which means its harder to find a free man, so players are getting caught on the ball. When they do get space (such as SWP) poor player performance has let them down. I'm not saying Spurs are playing poorly, just not fantastically, and I think its more to do with City playing really badly.

City will come out and try to pass the ball for 10 minutes, just set a tempo and try to actually get into the game.