The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

DJ Campbell is fucking awful at coming across honest when talking about liking blackpool, repeated the same cliches every question asked :lol: "erm yeah, great fans, manager, staff, place to be" "erm yeah, great fans, manager...

Is tonight's match the most hyped league match in the past few years? I think so.

Barca's obviously one of the best football teams in the world. Their recent run has been utterly dominant, something that hasn't been seen before in football in terms of their results and their performances. They also have Messi, who's on a similarly outstanding three-year run that, imo, is unparalleled in the history of football. I know Pele scored like 8000 goals but he did it only playing in Brazil and didn't have to face the extreme competition that footballers nowadays face (simply because more people play football nowadays so it's much harder to be that much better than everyone else - basic statistics), so I rate Messi's three-year run as being one of the best goalscoring runs in history.

On the other side of the fence, you've got Mourinho who's arguably the best manager on the planet right now and he has playing for him a team of superstars, basically lined up like a dream FM team, with Cristiano being the pick of the punch. Now, I rate Messi as the best in the world but Ronaldo's not far away from him because he has similarly been on an outstanding goalscoring run in the past 3-4 years, and has proved himself at all levels.

Of course, this match won't make or break either side's season with it being so early in the season but it should be a great match, full of goals, hopefully.

That's the concern, Apisith. Will the game live up to naturally high expectations?

You can just see Mourinho making sure Messi is double marked immediately, hell, even have a few swipes at him to try and unsettle him. As I think VI said recently though, sure, do that to Messi but what about Xavi, Iniesta, Villa? If Barca can keep their patience which a) I think they'll need tonight and b) I think they will, then they will win. I can't see Real, under JM, looking to go to Camp Nou for anything other than, realistically, a 1-0 win. Yes they have superb quality too but I'd be shocked if they set up to just attack Barca.

If however they do, we are in for one hell of a game.

I slightly disagree with your last bit however. No it won't completely decide a season but if Real win, that's, what, 4 points ahead? And with how utterly dominant they (and Barca) are in the league, that's actually a bit of a gap, even at this early stage.

I don't know, 3 out of 4 Clásicos are usually not up to the hype. Not that I won't be biting my nails every fucking minute of it. But usually both teams approach those games rather cautiously. I suppose Madrid will set up for hitting in the counter and knowing this we will try to shore up at the back more than we usually do (Real Madrid is the only team I have seen Guardiola line up rather conservatively against)