£25m in Jan?

Yorkie

Our defence needs a major overhaul any money we have got to spend must be on defenders first and foremost. I'd rather us be tight that exciting at the moment. We need to build a strong base and then think about entertainment.

Full backs we need 1st of all. Bit of a gutter about Wayne Bridge. I think if we had two solid good full backs it would make a big improvement on all our defence. Is it worth a cheeky bid for Heinze, seeing as Man Utd have Evra and Silvestre both ahead of him and he is being linked with PSG?

Our defence needs a major overhaul any money we have got to spend must be on defenders first and foremost. I'd rather us be tight that exciting at the moment. We need to build a strong base and then think about entertainment.

Full backs we need 1st of all. Bit of a gutter about Wayne Bridge. I think if we had two solid good full backs it would make a big improvement on all our defence. Is it worth a cheeky bid for Heinze, seeing as Man Utd have Evra and Silvestre both ahead of him and he is being linked with PSG?

Silvestre surely can't be ahead of him in the pecking order, he is a joke at that club!

Silvestre surely can't be ahead of him in the pecking order, he is a joke at that club!

A joke?? You must REALLY hate our defenders then, if you think a player like him is a joke.

A joke?? You must REALLY hate our defenders then, if you think a player like him is a joke.

Being better than our defenders isn't a compliment though.

Being better than our defenders isn't a compliment though.

True, its a standard fact of life - i actually don't think there are more than half a dozen defenders (first team) worse than some of our lot in the Prem. I mean, our second best defender, Moore, isn't even good enough for the bench in 3/4 of EPL times.

I meant he is to their fans (he was part some piss take poster in one of their mags) and I couldnt see how he would be ahead of Heinze who is a hell of a lot better (imho)

I meant he is to their fans (he was part some piss take poster in one of their mags) and I couldnt see how he would be ahead of Heinze who is a hell of a lot better (imho)

Heinze never really got his place back (which he was starting to own, i think) after his big injury, i reckon.

He's better than Silvestre, until he loses his head, but Silvestre is still a very good defender.

Silvestre is shite, but he's still better than basically all the defenders at our club. Heinze is class. Has all the attributes needed to succeed and was the best left-back in the league before he was injured (and that's counting Cashley Cole as well - Heinze just has much more aggression and his power and strength, especially in the air, gives him the edge even though attacking-wise, Cole is better). Has yet to regain his form from before but undoubtedly will.

Silvestre is shite, but he's still better than basically all the defenders at our club. Heinze is class. Has all the attributes needed to succeed and was the best left-back in the league before he was injured (and that's counting Cashley Cole as well - Heinze just has much more aggression and his power and strength, especially in the air, gives him the edge even though attacking-wise, Cole is better). Has yet to regain his form from before but undoubtedly will.

I don't think anyone with much sense thinks Cashley is a great defender anyway. Bridge is a better defender. Althoguh Cole is better going forwards.

I don't think anyone with much sense thinks Cashley is a great defender anyway. Bridge is a better defender. Althoguh Cole is better going forwards.

His performance in Euro '04 against Portugal is still one of the best defensive displays by a left-back I've ever seen, so don't disregard him as a defender because that is his job description. However, saying that, Cole's main strength has always been his ability to support the attack and that's why he was so successful at Arsenal and why, imo, he won't be at Chelsea. Thinking about it, Bridge is arguably a better defender (more consistent imo) and at last at the start of this season, he showed his attacking prowess is not something to underrate as well. But at the same time, Mourinho will never drop Cole because of all the trouble he's gone through to get him.

With Owen, Martins, Ameobi, Sibiersky and Dyer if needed as strikers i wouldnt spent money on our attack, but instead focuse on making the defense look good, which it hasnt done for many years....

Buy some quality defenders and not just some OK players like Upson.

Either Or imo.

We should either

- build a top class defence, and make do with the attacking players we have for now, with the theory being that we'll win more games by conceeding nothing and scoring the odd goal. This should take up our entire bulk of our transfer budget, meaning wed be looking at another stop-gap or loan deal to solve the shortage in numbers up front.

or

- get both decent defenders and a good forward. The bulk of the budget will go on the striker, and the rest on adequate defenders, with the aim being to improve the defence marginally and get someone in to  help us score more than we will leak.

I would prefer us going down the first route, ie investing in a quality defence and building on that until reinforcements for other positions can be purchased in subsequent seasons, but I dont see that ever happening. The current board have been happy with defenders like OBrien, Bramble, Dabizas, Carr etc, and itll stay that way no doubt, whilst theyve always wanted to splash big on centreforwards, so thats what theyll do in the next window - go for cheap defenders, buy a big name forward.

I think Ashley Cole is a top top class defender personally! Fantastic all round ability and pissing on Bridge from a great height!

Dislike Cole. Weird and often dodgey defender who can be class at times defensively in some games, but other times he can be taken apart because of his defending style and strange balance.

What annoys me the most is that he gets out of so many bad situations purely by diving. Beckham does the same - for example, playing himself into a bad area, then backs into the man and falls over, getting a free kick. Cole is a master at that, getting himself out of trouble by winning easy free kicks. I think the refs pity him beause he always makes a massive meal out of things, with his skinny/small frame and painful facial expressions.

• 9 years later...

I think Ashley Cole is a top top class defender personally! Fantastic all round ability and pissing on Bridge from a great height!

He's EPL class, certainly, and a good player but imho Bridge is a better defender.

:lol:

Lucas Neill - £4m

Sylvain Distin - £2.5m

Matthew Upson - £4m

Wayne Bridge - £3.5m

(Sell Bramble)

(Release Bernard)

Darren Bent - £9m

Mark Viduka - £2m

(Sell Luque... might aswell)

(Send Rossi back)

Given

Neill --- Distin --- Moore* --- Bridge

Milner --- Parker --- Dyer --- Duff

Martins --- Bent

*For this season.

:megusta:

Unless we can get some good quality players - i.e. mid table Premier League, then I don't really see the point unless it's a low risk deal on a promising youngster.

Are you posting from 2006?  If so, buckle up because you've got some serious shit to go through following us for the next ten years.  O0

Guest firetotheworks

This thread reads as a who's who of has-beens, never weres and purple patchers. Sums us up at the time.

The stuff about Bale is interesting reading it back though.

We won't get that much for Emre. And yeah defence is way more of an issue then wingers atm, invest that 10m into 2 or 3 decent defenders and we will be well on our way.

Who is this Bale? Everyone is going on about him.

Garath Bale, 17 year old fullback from Southampton... Scores a couple of goals aswell

Another Southampton prodigy eh? I've always thought the south-coast teams should be higher than where they are at the minute. Considering they have about a quarter of the country to pick from relatively unchallenged.