Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

It's not over until its over, but the fat lady is warming up. It was a long shot to begin with so I'm unsure why people got their hopes raised so highly.

Before I start bashing Ashley before we fail to sign him I'd consider Marseille's role in the saga. Reading into the speculation you could conclude it is them who have moved the goal posts, if that's the case then Ashley and Co may be justified in taking the stance they have. Of course that could of been avoided but then we knew there was never going to be such an amount spent on one player.

Of course if we do fail to sign him I'll be disappointed but we have to move on. Perhaps people shouldn't put so much energy into speculating over a player who was always unlikely to join from the off.

But we were told that a fee had been agreed and that he was on his way! That s*** aint fair. I can live with ITK bollocks and paper talk, but when it's something as tangible as a quote from their chairman saying that it was pretty much a done deal it just stings that little bit more.

Perhaps that boils down to Marseille's change of plans as a pose to our incompetence.

and ruin a good ashley bashing session?

I'll wait until he actually signs before I get excited tbh. :)

Very encouraging though but a lot can happen in 3 or 4 days when signing a player. Fingers crossed he comes though. 

:hmm:

Guest Heneage

I'll wait until he actually signs before I get excited tbh. :)

Very encouraging though but a lot can happen in 3 or 4 days when signing a player. Fingers crossed he comes though. 

:hmm:

Still applicable surely?

If we don't sign him, it'll go down as yet another monumental NUFC f*** up imo. Young French international star with five French league titles to his name, desperate to come here and going for peanuts and we're trying to scrabble around for pennies to loan the f***er. More ridiculous penny pinching from the despicable fat c***.

:lol:

Hilarious. In a world where James Milner costs £30m, this kid's going for about £6-8m and we're trying to LOAN him??? Ashley's even dumber than I gave him credit for.

I just think you've got a really big chip on your shoulder, and because of that it makes discussing Newcastle difficult .

This approach has seen us relegated once and will probably see us relegated again. If I've a chip on my shoulder, it's well earned.

Guest michaelfoster

It sounds as though the Marseille chairman is moving the goalposts, not Ashley, some people will bash Ashley regardless though.

Saying we have had a 700k loan bid accepted then changing his mind several days later saying nothing has been agreed makes it sound as though the Marseille president knows he can probably sell him for £8m+ rather than get less than £1m loan fee due to the fact he is a french international, young & has lots of potential so is now using us to try and drum up more interest. If we did have a bid accepted & Marseille have moved the goalposts then Ashley has done nothing wrong.

Some people are getting far too excited, tbh ive always said he will end up going elsewhere. Why would he go to a club thats just got promoted from the Coca Cola Championship (which he probably hasn't even heard of) when he could hold on and possibly end up at somewhere like Villa, Everton, Fulham or one of the sides which are less likely to be relegated again as im sure if he did come here on loan and we got relegated this season he will be on the first plane back to france and tell us where to shove our contract offer.

It sounds as though the Marseille chairman is moving the goalposts, not Ashley, some people will bash Ashley regardless though.

Saying we have had a 700k loan bid accepted then changing his mind several days later saying nothing has been agreed makes it sound as though the Marseille president knows he can probably sell him for £8m+ due to the fact he is a french international, young & has lots of potential so is now using us to try and drum up more interest.

If we did have a bid accepted & Marseille have moved the goalposts then Ashley has done nothing wrong.

Some people are getting far too excited, tbh ive always said he will end up going elsewhere. Why would he go to a club thats just got promoted from the Coca Cola Championship (which he probably hasn't even heard of) when he could hold on and possibly end up at somewhere like Villa, Everton, Fulham or one of the sides which are less likely to be relegated again as im sure if he did come here on loan and we got relegated this season he will be on the first plane back to france and tell us where to shove our contract offer.

:facepalm:

Guest Heneage

If we don't sign him, it'll go down as yet another monumental NUFC f*** up imo. Young French international star with five French league titles to his name, desperate to come here and going for peanuts and we're trying to scrabble around for pennies to loan the f***er. More ridiculous penny pinching from the despicable fat c***.

Hilarious. In a world where James Milner costs £30m, this kid's going for about £6-8m and we're trying to LOAN him??? Ashley's even dumber than I gave him credit for.

I just think you've got a really big chip on your shoulder, and because of that it makes discussing Newcastle difficult .

This approach has seen us relegated once and will probably see us relegated again. If I've a chip on my shoulder, it's well earned.

What approach? We know nothing of this deal, have the club said we bid for him? No Marseille have done all the talking.

Just out of exeprience with the recent signings of Emre, Luque, Colo and the Ben Arfa speculation it seems a theme is emergining in terms of the way buisness is done on the continent. Is it common for a side to alter the agreement or to initiate a bidding war at the last moment to try and raise the price? Of course it happens over here it just seems more common and very blantent when dealing with European clubs.

FWIW, a little snippet from an article in Wednesday morning's La Provence, the local newspaper with regards to the possibility of him staying:

On Monday night, in any case, the player's entourage had shown adamant there was no question of staying one more week to l'OM.

Guest michaelfoster

Saying we have had a 700k loan bid accepted then changing his mind several days later saying nothing has been agreed makes it sound as though the Marseille president knows he can probably sell him for £8m+ due to the fact he is a french international, young & has lots of potential so is now using us to try and drum up more interest.

If we did have a bid accepted & Marseille have moved the goalposts then Ashley has done nothing wrong.

Was it not you who updated the thread title to this Dave?

Reports: €800k loan fee agreed with Marseille for Ben Arfa, talks ongoing

;)

Saying we have had a 700k loan bid accepted then changing his mind several days later saying nothing has been agreed makes it sound as though the Marseille president knows he can probably sell him for £8m+ rather than get less than £1m loan fee due to the fact he is a french international, young & has lots of potential so is now using us to try and drum up more interest. If we did have a bid accepted & Marseille have moved the goalposts then Ashley has done nothing wrong.

I seriously doubt he hasn't heard of us, man. :lol:

You're right about Marseille moving the goalpost. With Niang gone and Ben Arfa playing so well in the last week, we have no reason to sell the boy on the cheap. It seems like the club would prefer to keep him at this point, and will only sell him for a big money offer. If anything, you should blame Niang for being so keen on Turkey.

Guest michaelfoster

Just out of exeprience with the recent signings of Emre, Luque, Colo and the Ben Arfa speculation it seems a theme is emergining in terms of the way buisness is done on the continent. Is it common for a side to alter the agreement or to initiate a bidding war at the last moment to try and raise the price? Of course it happens over here it just seems more common and very blantent when dealing with European clubs.

Thats what i was trying to get at above, continental clubs have a habit of altering the price at the last minute or to initiate a bidding war, so all this Ashley bashing is harsh imo

Was it not you who updated the thread title to this Dave?

Reports: €800k loan fee agreed with Marseille for Ben Arfa, talks ongoing

;)

Yeah, reports. You know, what papers say and stuff. Not 'Chairman says'.

Guest michaelfoster

I seriously doubt he hasn't heard of us, man. :lol:

You're right about Marseille moving the goalpost. With Niang gone and Ben Arfa playing so well in the last week, we have no reason to sell the boy on the cheap. It seems like the club would prefer to keep him at this point, and will only sell him for a big money offer. If anything, you should blame Niang for being so keen on Turkey.

I meant he probably hasnt heard of the Coca Cola Championship, apologies as it doesnt read like that now ive re-read it

What approach? We know nothing of this deal, have the club said we bid for him? No Marseille have done all the talking.

Exactly, we know what Marseille have said. Newcastle have said there's been nothing happening, when there clearly has, NUFC under Ashley have 'lie' as their default setting.

Exactly, we know what Marseille have said. Newcastle have said there's been nothing happening, when there clearly has, NUFC under Ashley have 'lie' as their default setting.

This is just a ridiculous statement. :lol: Castigate Ashley as much as you want, I suppose, but not many clubs have 'inform the world of our behind the scene transfers dealings'as their default setting. It is a hardly a lie.

FWIW, a little snippet from an article in Wednesday morning's La Provence, the local newspaper with regards to the possibility of him staying:

On Monday night, in any case, the player's entourage had shown adamant there was no question of staying one more week to l'OM.

This 'entourage' business is quite strange. I keep hearing it mentioned, more so than any other player.