Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

They have to accept it yes, the only way we wouldn't sign him is if he refused the move.  IF he refused, he'd end up going for a lot more then £5.5m IMO as that would mean there'd be some pretty big clubs interested and Marseille have no reason to accept that kind of fee from anyone but us.

They have to accept it yes, the only way we wouldn't sign him is if he refused the move.  IF he refused, he'd end up going for a lot more then £5.5m IMO as that would mean there'd be some pretty big clubs interested and Marseille have no reason to accept that kind of fee from anyone but us.

except he'll have one less year on his contract and the same desire to get away from marseilles. hope he ends up here but could quite easily see him elsewhere after showing up well in the window and him dictating the price and destination.

I still can't see Marseille selling him to anyone else for that kind of fee without a fight (assuming that if he's not willing to sign here he must have had an excellent season and attracted some very big clubs).

We'll see though, everything we've heard about him suggests that he thrives on adulation, which is quite encouraging for our chances of keeping him IMO.

I still can't see Marseille selling him to anyone else for that kind of fee without a fight.

We'll see though, everything we've heard about him suggests that he thrives on adulation, which is quite encouraging for our chances of signing him IMO.

we know he's up for a fight and he'll go where he wants, all marseilles can do is accept the best offer from the club HBA chooses.......and naturally i hope its us.

there was a great paragraph in the independent on sundays match report........"newcastle crowds demand several things as the price of their love. they expect hard work but they relish the sort of skill displayed by hatem ben arfa, a wayward child of french football, whose record of on field brilliance and off field indiscipline make him a footballer born to play for newcastle"

i probably shouldn't but i love that our club is viewed this way.

Ben Arfa will love it here, I don't think he'll go anywhere else.

You know there wasn't a flicker of a smile following his goal. Considering all the comments regarding wanting to show what he could do you'd think he'd be a bit happy about a goal like that. I reckon he's having second thoughts already.

You know there wasn't a flicker of a smile following his goal. Considering all the comments regarding wanting to show what he could do you'd think he'd be a bit happy about a goal like that. I reckon he's having second thoughts already.

he didn't play that way, i think the reaction was more of a steeliness. seen it many times before, quite often from kevin nolan away from home and duncan ferguson done it all the time.

I think it was more, "I just scored a fucking screamer on my full debut, and guess what? I didn't expect anything fucking le different."

The alternative been his mind shouting this at him post goal, "Don't look bothered but....OU LA LA..OU LA LAAAAAAAA."

Apropos of nothing...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/ben-arfa-rewards-exotic-enterprise-by-bringing-his-goal-to-newcastle-2083891.html

In the tunnel at Goodison Park, the 23-year-old with his wispy beard looked the model of a young footballer, wonderfully happy to have scored on his full debut, let alone with something so special.

"It was a very important win because, after losing to Blackpool, the pressure on us was enormous," Ben Arfa said. "It was building up inside our heads, so we are very relieved and happy to have won. Losing to Blackpool was something we didn't expect; we knew Everton would be very hard and to have won here tells you something about what we can achieve."

Thus far Ben Arfa's only problems have been that he does not speak English and, apart from Cheik Tiote, Newcastle's Ivory Coast midfielder, nobody at St James' Park understands French, although the Tunisian's family have accompanied him to Tyneside to make settling in easier.

His first impressions of Newcastle were of "a big, big club with some really astonishing supporters" and, as Ben Arfa acknowledged, you could say the same of Marseilles, the club he had just left. And yet, to have exchanged the French champions for something as uncertain as Newcastle, when the likes of Werder Bremen were offering Champions League football, was something of a risk.

"No, sometimes in football you have to take a risk," he said. "When I came to Newcastle for the first time you could see how big it was. It may have been newly promoted, but it didn't feel like it. There are so many good players at the club. You could see that on the pitch. And it is a great thing when you play in front of passionate fans. You want to give them something back."

Sounds miserable.

In the warm up, Enrique and Routledge were explaining things to him and he seemed to be speaking back to them.  Would have been interesting to listen in on that conversation.

A bit later when they were doing their shooting practice, Nolan was trying to get him to join in but he obviously didn't have a clue what he was being asked to do and when the ball came to him, he just hit it to the other side of the pitch instead of passing it for one of the strikers to shoot.

In the warm up, Enrique and Routledge were explaining things to him and he seemed to be speaking back to them.  Would have been interesting to listen in on that conversation.

A bit later when they were doing their shooting practice, Nolan was trying to get him to join in but he obviously didn't have a clue what he was being asked to do and when the ball came to him, he just hit it to the other side of the pitch instead of passing it for one of the strikers to shoot.

Kill him imo.

probably understands english perfectly well just thought that would be more fun.

come on. wouldn't you ?

i still worry he sees us as the perfect opportunity to put himself in the window......................hope he falls in love with the place mind, many do.

This has always been likely - if he has a good season with no dramas it will be interesting to see if he stays at NUFC. Not many French players have stayed long at the club...