3-4-3 For me

Harps

Will        Sol          Col

Jonas     Nolan\Guth       Enrique

Barton\Gosling 

Rout                               Arfa

Carroll

Be pretty happy with that

I cannot believe for one minute that Hughton would set us up either at 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 and then go with a totally alien system once the season starts tbh.

3-4-3 For me

Harps

Barton\Gosling 

Carroll

you are now me.. congratulations

:lol:

Guest neesy111

3-4-3 For me

Harps

Barton\Gosling 

Carroll

does any professional team play 3 at the back any more?

Guest MrBrown

heres what i don't get, i can understand not wanting to go to russia or to a lesser extent hoffenheim but not benfica? champions league football and possibility of winning trophies or a relegation battle and if he does well in portugal big sides will see it and he'll be able to earn a big move

Aye, can't quite fathom that one myself.

Simple, after one year with us, he can go wherever he wants at a low price as he thinks he'll be good enough.

Sign a permanent deal with Benfica and he'll find it harder to leave.

on the other hand proving himself on the champions league stage would attract a lot of interest and portugese sides do have a tendency to sell players to big clubs

For £15m, which managers are unlikely to risk on a temperamental lightweight player with no PL experience.

What happened to you? You used to be so wacky. It's like you've gone from a happy friendly children's birthday clown to one of the pretentious French existential dread ones.

Ben Arfa will expect to be first name on the teamsheet

He would be the best player in our squad by an absolute chasm.

If he was that good, he wouldn't be signing for Newcastle. To be honest I'm suprised the likes of Wigan and Sunderland haven't gone for him. Birmingham as well it would seem would rather sign N'Zogbia. Perhaps the fact that they haven't speaks volumes.

This could be a player who thinks he is entitled to be at a much higher standard than he is, put in a series of complacent ineffective performances, and subsequently wreck the entire team.

This is a massive gamble, we could get survival from this, but we could get yet another massive car crash.

Bore off.

I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this one, but its a case of seeing what happens in 12 months rather than everyone telling me now that I'm wrong!

3-4-3 For me

Harps

Barton\Gosling 

Carroll

does any professional team play 3 at the back any more?

Chile in the World Cup

La Liga dross would destroy Prem dross tbh. Same goes for Serie A.

There's a reason Diamanti went from Serie B to West Ham's second best player last season. Lower teams in the other leagues are streets ahead ability wise.

I just disagree. I could give you countless examples of foreign players failing in this country. We play different football but it's certainly not worse IMO.

Of course it's f**king worse. The British blueprint is why we got mullered at the World Cup and played off the park by the first decent team we come across.

Take a player out of a team in Spain and hoy them in a team in England and they'll struggle to adapt (for example Borja Valero), but put a lower English team against a lower Spanish team and they'd get played off the park. They're technically and tactically streets ahead of us.

There's a reason why we've only won 1 out of the last 25 Uefa Cups (or equivalents), our middle to lower teams are so far behind the top echelons.

I think you have confused English footballers with the English premiership. Spain's national team (Barcelona) is excellent but that proves nothing.

We need to nuture our youngsters better yes, but that has nothing to with the standard of our league.

Taylor27 you're taking the fucking piss with this transfer like. Honestly, what the fuck do you want?

I want us to sign the best players we can afford that can keep us in this division. I'm just not sure he is one of those.

Guest neesy111

The Premiership is so drastically overrated. Beyond Newcastle this season i genuinely couldn't be fucked with the rest of it. It's turgid for the most part.

This

I will probably watch la liga, and the bundesligue more than the EPL

Guest neesy111

Taylor27 you're taking the fucking piss with this transfer like. Honestly, what the fuck do you want?

I want us to sign the best players we can afford that can keep us in this division. I'm just not sure he is one of those.

what for 800k, are you seriously taking the piss?

tbf, i wouldn't be disappointed if he was to replace jonas in the team, jonas simply will not create anything in the premiership

His pace, willingness to run at people and most importantly partnership with Enrique makes him our best option on the wing regardless of whether HBA signs or not. There's no point in signing someone to solve the problem of creativity in the centre of the park and deciding to play him on the wing.

QFT!

The effort he puts in put most of the rest of our squad to shame.. never known a player track back with such determination, and his ability to track back win the ball then carry it away from danger is massive for us.

He is still a better player going forward at home though.. no idea why, maybe it is how he is being asked to play.

again going back to quality v grafters, grafters only get you so far, quality is what you need when it counts, Jonas has no quality in his passing, crossing or shooting.  Yes he will pull players apart, but the amount of times his passes go missing, or his final ball is shite is far too much

I don't think it's a question of graft versus quality, it's a question of where we need quality and where we can get away with grafters. We're in dire need of some quality in the centre of the park and have been for years now whereas Jonas and Jose will cause teams enough trouble despite the fact Gutierrez isn't the most productive of wingers.

If we were having this conversation about Ryan Taylor rather than Jonas then I'd agree entirely.

3-4-3 For me

Harps

Barton\Gosling 

Carroll

We are practically twins minus the hyphens  :pow:

So what should the transfer policy be if anyone who would play for Newcastle must be shit?

"Hi, we're interested in signing your young striker."

"I've spoken to him and he's said he'd be interested in the transfer"

"You've just talked yourself out of a deal, good day sir!" *click* brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Guest neesy111

tbf, i wouldn't be disappointed if he was to replace jonas in the team, jonas simply will not create anything in the premiership

His pace, willingness to run at people and most importantly partnership with Enrique makes him our best option on the wing regardless of whether HBA signs or not. There's no point in signing someone to solve the problem of creativity in the centre of the park and deciding to play him on the wing.

QFT!

The effort he puts in put most of the rest of our squad to shame.. never known a player track back with such determination, and his ability to track back win the ball then carry it away from danger is massive for us.

He is still a better player going forward at home though.. no idea why, maybe it is how he is being asked to play.

again going back to quality v grafters, grafters only get you so far, quality is what you need when it counts, Jonas has no quality in his passing, crossing or shooting.  Yes he will pull players apart, but the amount of times his passes go missing, or his final ball is shite is far too much

I don't think it's a question of graft versus quality, it's a question of where we need quality and where we can get away with grafters. We're in dire need of some quality in the centre of the park and have been for years now whereas Jonas and Jose will cause teams enough trouble despite the fact Gutierrez isn't the most productive of wingers.

If we were having this conversation about Ryan Taylor rather than Jonas then I'd agree entirely.

but will hughton drop his favourite nolan then, because sadly i can't see it

If he was that good, he wouldn't be signing for Newcastle. To be honest I'm suprised the likes of Wigan and Sunderland haven't gone for him. Birmingham as well it would seem would rather sign N'Zogbia. Perhaps the fact that they haven't speaks volumes.

This could be a player who thinks he is entitled to be at a much higher standard than he is, put in a series of complacent ineffective performances, and subsequently wreck the entire team.

This is a massive gamble, we could get survival from this, but we could get yet another massive car crash.

Bore off.

I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this one, but its a case of seeing what happens in 12 months rather than everyone telling me now that I'm wrong!

Whatever, I reckon you just like to create arguments and be overly negative or have the an opposite opinion for the sake of it. The fact that a highly rated player that can play in the middle of the park and is the exact creative outlet we've been crying out for since the 06-07 season or earlier doesn't appear to compute with you. Oh yeah, the fact that he's on loan as well means that there's no long-term commitment in case he does fail.. in fact the loan could in theory be cancelled if he is a disruption to the survival campaign, so there isn't really much of a risk at all.

Like I said, you're whinging for the sake of it. Bore off.

La Liga dross would destroy Prem dross tbh. Same goes for Serie A.

There's a reason Diamanti went from Serie B to West Ham's second best player last season. Lower teams in the other leagues are streets ahead ability wise.

I just disagree. I could give you countless examples of foreign players failing in this country. We play different football but it's certainly not worse IMO.

Of course it's f**king worse. The British blueprint is why we got mullered at the World Cup and played off the park by the first decent team we come across.

Take a player out of a team in Spain and hoy them in a team in England and they'll struggle to adapt (for example Borja Valero), but put a lower English team against a lower Spanish team and they'd get played off the park. They're technically and tactically streets ahead of us.

There's a reason why we've only won 1 out of the last 25 Uefa Cups (or equivalents), our middle to lower teams are so far behind the top echelons.

I think you have confused English footballers with the English premiership. Spain's national team (Barcelona) is excellent but that proves nothing.

We need to nuture our youngsters better yes, but that has nothing to with the standard of our league.

No. It's a footballing culture that manifests at every level in England. Have you watched some of the crap in the Premiership recently? It's technically inept players playing hoofball for turgid, tactically backward managers sticking with simplistic 4-4-2s for two-bit nothing football clubs. The bottom of the Premiership is a clap of horseshit, and because of that I remain some modual of confidence that we can survive.

I can comfortably watch any game in Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Eredivise and comfortably say the enjoyment levels are streets ahead of what I'd get from watching some drivel fom the Premier League.

QFT!

I agree BUT we are looking to survive and not looking to be wining games with big score lines.. clean sheets is what Hughton wants and Jonas is a big part of that.

I think Hughton is not looking at Afra as a 1st team starter every game but as a march changer if need be, or as a LW  player if Jonas gets injured.

I hope I'm wrong I really do but he will show more faith and loyalty in our contracted players

Guest neesy111

Bore off.

Whatever, I reckon you just like to create arguments and be overly negative or have the an opposite opinion for the sake of it. The fact that a highly rated player that can play in the middle of the park and is the exact creative outlet we've been crying out for since the 06-07 season or earlier doesn't appear to compute with you. Oh yeah, the fact that he's on loan as well means that there's no long-term commitment in case he does fail.. in fact the loan could in theory be cancelled if he is a disruption to the survival campaign, so there isn't really much of a risk at all.

Like I said, you're whinging for the sake of it. Bore off.

this

what for 800k, are you seriously taking the piss?

That is a fairly expensive loan fee to be honest. at that price there could be alternatives, maybe not with the ability or track record, but with some talent and no tendency of going missing...