Newcastle United 2 - 2 PSV Eindhoven - 31/07/10

ponsaelius

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

You can rarely determine how a season is going to pan out by pre-season friendly results, but 2 things stand out.

Firstly, PSV are no mugs - they are usually amongst the title chasers in Holland and that fact that they appear to have given us a chasing in the first half is no surprise ; Dutch teams are very good at passing and movement and against what is a pedestrian midfield they would look even better than they are.

It is to be hoped that SAF DOES allow Cleverly to join NUFC on loan because he will give us a bit more craft, movement and goal-threat from midfield which is patently lacking now - the likes of Lua Lua are NOT going to make it in the Prem, so the sooner people get that one fixed in their minds the better.

We don't even know if Vuckic will either, because he is still only 17 and not ready.

Hard to tell how much better the side might have been with Jonas to work the flanks - nobody else really up to it apart from Routledge. As I have said ad nauseam, Lovenkrands will be lost for long periods in PL games and is NOT up to scratch now, if he ever was...

The only striker with any threat remains Carroll - Ameobi will turn it on now and again(but not again and again..!), but Carroll is the only one PL defences will worry about so unless there is a new striker signed(which looks highly unlikely), we are going to struggle for goals...

All of these things we knew before playing PSV and the result against them matters not a jot.

The only time I felt that a pre-season result was a decent indicator of what might happen in the following season was when KKs newly-promoted 1993 side went up to Glasgow and beat a decent Rangers team in the last build-up game....lets see what happens this time...!

Very good points, I agree-

Hate the atmosphere at friendly matches. Xisco was at left mid fwiw Pilko

what was the crowd?

Better than the crowd that turned up last time we played them under Keegan when things were good. Good sign, especially considering the expensive ticket prices.

Not happy with taking the clocks away either, a bit pointless that is.

Guest Heneage

I hope Hughton asked the prices of Ola Toivonen and Balazs Dzsudzsak after the game

Doubt it. I'd imagine both would run close to €10m each.

Having seen the highlight (I know), I think :

1. James Perch is not at fault for 1st goal but his general play especially defending is a bit worrying

2. Good results

3. Alan Smith is not good enough

4. Coloccini is quite decent

5. Harper is beaten easily by long rage shots

This is only a preseason however. Players are still warming up

1. James Perch is not at fault for 1st goal but his general play especially defending is a bit worrying

How is he not at fault for the first goal? It looked like a slide tackle that he was going to make, easily, and being the last man, he had to make it. He missed the ball somehow and they scored as a result.

How is he not at fault for the first goal? It looked like a slide tackle that he was going to make, easily, and being the last man, he had to make it. He missed the ball somehow and they scored as a result.

1. The midfield was bypassed too easily (Alan Smith)

2. The keeper is beaten easily (Steve Harper)

Yes he conceded the freekick but 1 & 2

Probably been mentioned but there's some really good quality (and free) highlights here from the PSV website:

http://www.psv.tv/index.php?item=if&content=player&ProductID=7311

Ah didn't know about that! Cheers, :)

For some reason my favorite feature of SJP has always been the "Newcastle United" letters in the upper stand. Something simple, but actually not very common.

What a depressing front six that is. Just shows with a couple of injuries we'll be utterly f***ed.

Every club is that. Even the big clubs like are s*** as soon as they get some injuries.

I reckon that the majority of the top 4's reserves could all make an impact on our first XI

Probably true. But they can't make the same impact in their respectively first XI. Which is why I said that every club will have problems as soon as some injuries to some key players come around.

Even our first XI is going to struggle to keep our necks above water. We need a full strength team for basically the whole season to have even half a chance of survival. It's a bit different to the difference between 3rd and 4th.

I really think (and hope) we aren't that bad tbh.

We are if we don't strengthen further, no doubt about it..

Bet you said something similar about the possibility of promotion last year.

1. The midfield was bypassed too easily (Alan Smith)

2. The keeper is beaten easily (Steve Harper)

Yes he conceded the freekick but 1 & 2

The goal was from a freekick, Perch conceeded the freekick with a red card offence as it happened. You could go as far to say that it was the strikers' fault for losing possession before it bypassed Smith in midfield, but you can't. It was Perch who was at fault because he was reckless when he didn't need to be. Now cut out these stupid comments you nutty tart.