La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The vile, antifootball scum tallied 102 goals in the end. How dull.

:clap:  :thup:

Surprise nobody has mentioned Ronaldo beating the La Liga 1989/90 goalscoring record with an insane total of 40 La Liga goals in one season and 53 overall for Madrid this season. If it was Messi, people would be jizzing all over the forum. The boy dives but in terms of quality and getting you points, the boy is right at the top. Take a bow son. Barcelona the better team, Ronaldo the better player.

Surprise nobody has mentioned Ronaldo beating the La Liga 1989/90 goalscoring record with an insane total of 40 La Liga goals in one season and 53 overall for Madrid this season. If it was Messi, people would be jizzing all over the forum. The boy dives but in terms of quality and getting you points, the boy is right at the top. Take a bow son. Barcelona the better team, Ronaldo the better player.

Not a chance. Better goalscorer arguably.

Not a chance. Better goalscorer arguably.

Ya I guess depends on how you measure "better". For me it is goals coz that's what get the team points. Grated Messi probably play the more beautiful football.

It's probably because I'd say Messi isn't a forward in the way Ronaldo is now. He spends half his time in midfield, dictates play along with Xavi and Iniesta, assists and creates aswell as scoring a lot of goals. You cannot quantify his influence purely with goals.

People say Ronaldo is the more 'complete' player but I'd say that's a fallacy. Ronaldo doesn't have Messi's footballing brain and could never influence a game the same way. Awesome player mind and miles better than anything else in the world, but he's far more of a flat track bully than Messi is.

It's probably because I'd say Messi isn't a forward in the way Ronaldo is now. He spends half his time in midfield, dictates play along with Xavi and Iniesta, assists and creates aswell as scoring a lot of goals. You cannot quantify his influence purely with goals.

People say Ronaldo is the more 'complete' player but I'd say that's a fallacy. Ronaldo doesn't have Messi's footballing brain and could never influence a game the same way. Awesome player mind and miles better than anything else in the world, but he's far more of a flat track bully than Messi is.

Say what you like, Ronaldo as an individual poses more of a threat in terms of goalscoring, he's also quite good with headers which Messi is piss poor at, so in that sense I would argue that Ronaldo is more complete. Not sure how you can measure Messi's intelligence especially when he plays with Xavi and Iniesta. Ronaldo as a goal scoring threat has done it with two teams (scored insane number of goals with Man Utd too) and his attributes are hence more quantifiable.

He doesn't really pose more of a threat in terms of goalscoring though does he, he's scored 1 more goal this season in more games. Messi offers the same goalthreat but assists more, creates more and is a more influential player from deep aswell as further up the field. He's also not a piss poor headerer of the ball.

Ronaldo's a brilliant player but a large part of his success is accountable to his physique, power and practiced technique. He obliterates teams on his day but can be strangled in the big games easier and more frequently than Messi is. The allround natural game is usually what separates the true greats apart.

He doesn't really pose more of a threat in terms of goalscoring though does he, he's scored 1 more goal this season in more games. Messi offers the same goalthreat but assists more, creates more and is a more influential player from deep aswell as further up the field. He's also not a p*ss poor headerer of the ball.

Ronaldo's a brilliant player but a large part of his success is accountable to his physique, power and practiced technique. He obliterates teams on his day but can be strangled in the big games easier and more frequently than Messi is. The allround natural game is usually what separates the true greats apart.

What do you mean 1 more goal? Before yesterday's brace, he's ahead by 7 goals in La Liga (38 vs 31).How may headers have Messi scored and compare that with Ronaldo, the numbers speak for themselves man.

Put it this way, if money was no objection and I could get either Messi or Ronaldo. If I was Guardiola managing Barcelona, I'd take Messi hands down, he fits into Barcelona like hands to glove. But if I was any other manager and I was looking for a player to individually improve my team immediately  (with say other midfielders being above average), then I'd go with Ronaldo hands down. Messi relies on the team playing in a certain way to excel (and of course when that happens, he is the best), whereas Ronaldo will be more influential in an average team due to his "physique, power and practiced technique"

He doesn't really pose more of a threat in terms of goalscoring though does he, he's scored 1 more goal this season in more games. Messi offers the same goalthreat but assists more, creates more and is a more influential player from deep aswell as further up the field. He's also not a p*ss poor headerer of the ball.

What do you mean 1 more goal? Before yesterday's brace, he's ahead by 7 goals in La Liga (38 vs 31).How may headers have Messi scored and compare that with Ronaldo, the numbers speak for themselves man.

Put it this way, if money was no objection and I could get either Messi or Ronaldo. If I was Guardiola managing Barcelona, I'd take Messi hands down, he fits into Barcelona like hands to glove. But if I was any other manager and I was looking for a player to individually improve my team immediately  (with say other midfielders being above average), then I'd go with Ronaldo hands down. Messi relies on the team playing in a certain way to excel (and of course when that happens, he is the best), whereas Ronaldo will be more influential in an average team due to his "physique, power and practiced technique"

Clearly not as shown in the matches between the 2 sides when Ronaldo did fuck all because his team was more concerned with sitting back and kicking the shit out of the Barca players

As for 1 more goal, he was talking about overall - and you want to talk about headers (not really sure why) what about assists?

Messi relies on the team playing in a certain way to excel

what are you basing this on?

in the fact that he has only excelled playing for Barcelona which really only plays in a certain way

Messi relies on the team playing in a certain way to excel

what are you basing this on?

in the fact that he has only excelled playing for Barcelona which really only plays in a certain way

the other option being totally insane and chaotic Argentina, so yeah that's a fair judgement i guess

EDIT: oh yeah, and are you trying to suggest that C. Ronaldo has been in teams playing badly week in week out?  fair enough they can't overhaul Barca or play the same football but he's hardly feeding on scraps from an Alan Smith/Danny Guthrie midfield is he?

:thup: Not taking away anything from Ronaldo's fantastic achievement, but you're spot on.

I'm talking overall where Messi has 52 and Ronaldo has 53. Messi has scored more than double him in the CL.

Messi has racked up more assists because he's a midfielder, forward, winger and playmaker all in one. Ronaldo is devastating but he's a forward pure and simple these days. He's a phenomonl player no doubt but I can never fathom how anybody who watches the two on a regular basis could think Ronaldo is the better footballer.

It's not a done deal yet according to our press, since we are waiting until after the CL final before doing any business. Would be a great signing, we actually have 3 LBs in our books (Abidal, Adriano, Maxwell), but he's young and very promising. And Maxwell's been quite s*** when facing a good winger.

Apparently the discount price involves one of our defence prospects (Fontàs, Bartra, Muniesa) going to Sporting with a buyback clause, which is good business for everybody involved.

We are apparently recalling Botía from Sporting too. CB with good La Liga experience, so can add depth.

I see that Callejon bloke has finally signed for Real as well.

Him and Altintop seem baffling to me.  Real already have the upper hand against Barcelona in terms of squad depth, they need some better players in their first team.