Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

Daily Mail tallied it up as something like £128m net spent over the course of his Villa stint

He was asked to do something about the wages bill, and refused to. That's what has happened.

If he is going to refuse to do that, then he needs to be on solid ground in saying that it doesn't need to be tackled.

Beye 40k

Shorey 35k

Sidwell 40k

NRC 50k

Davies 35k

L. Young 40k

That's 240k *a week* sat doing absolutely nothing.

That's shocking, but it's the Owner/CEO or whoever that negoiated those salaries in the first place surely, balming everything on the manager is just not right IYAM.

Oh and however bad that looks, it's chicken feed compared to where we were two years ago.

It's the manager who completely ignores the fact that he's bought those players though then asks for more money.

Daily Mail tallied it up as something like £128m net spent over the course of his Villa stint

He was asked to do something about the wages bill, and refused to. That's what has happened.

If he is going to refuse to do that, then he needs to be on solid ground in saying that it doesn't need to be tackled.

Beye 40k

Shorey 35k

Sidwell 40k

NRC 50k

Davies 35k

L. Young 40k

That's 240k *a week* sat doing absolutely nothing.

That's shocking, but it's the Owner/CEO or whoever that negoiated those salaries in the first place surely, balming everything on the manager is just not right IYAM.

Oh and however bad that looks, it's chicken feed compared to where we were two years ago.

If I was given the choice of having either Lerner or MON at our club I'd pick Lerner every time.

i study in birmingham and have sat in the holte end a couple of times for villa games. the fans are absolutely unbelievable! the amount of abuse they gave their team when they drew 1-1 against sunderland was in my opinion, embaressing. not tarring all their fans with the same brush because that would be unfair but the overwhelming effect from the holte end was to boo, shout and generally get on the back of  their manager and team. the abuse heskey got just for being subbed on was unbelievable

Not surprised, I've always said they never deserved a manager as good as O'Neill. Southgate is more fitting form them or even Souness.

True, they can't even manage to fill their stadium with glory hunters from England's second biggest city when things are going pretty well for them. They got a few more in when Lerner started splashing all that cash, but it seems that regular 6th spot is getting dull for them and they're starting to drift away again. Not as interesting as a relegation season or a year in the Championship it seems. Will probably start moaning about him now that he's stopped putting money in and fall back closer to pre-Lerner attendances this season I reckon.

Could be something in that, the players not being too fond of him I mean. Read an interview with Carew in the paper on sat where he ranked the best managers he'd played under in his opinion, with O'Neill getting last place on his "list".

I had to google that just to see his list, and O'Neill seems to be number 4, after Eggen, Capello and Benitez, and before del Bosque, Cuper and Houllier. Seems reasonable enough.

I stand corrected, memory must've been shoddy at 8 in the morning. :lol:

Went back to check the paper and here's the list:

1. Nils Arne Eggen, Rosenborg

2. Fabio Capello, Roma

3. Rafa Benitez, Valencia

4. Martin O'Neill, Aston Villa

5. Vicente Del Bosque, Besiktas

6. Hector Cuper, Valencia

7. Gerard Houllier, Lyon

I also like how he says the Rosenborg team he played for in 99/00 was better than the current Villa team. I mean, why the fuck is he sucking up to a team he only played for for one season by basically saying bad shit about his current club? :lol:

Curtis Davies came across as a bit of a c*** in his interview. Smug and pleased.

MON apparently hasn't said a word to a number of the fringe players for yonks. He's one of them.

I can't understand the likes of MON and Rafa shooting themselves in the foot treating players like outcasts, especially ones they signed.

Makes me glad the way Hughton conducts himself on this matter.

That's the thing.

Curtis Davies 9.5m, NRC 8.5m, Shorey 5m, Luke Young 4m.

All ceased to exist, all signed by the manager, then he says "give me some more money, or I'm off".

It doesn't add up, really.

Really is quite incredible. His treatment of Beye last season was quite shoddy as well really. It was amazing how quickly he gave up on the guy, especially when you consider the alternative was to play Cuellar (a centre back!) there.

Never really liked O'Neill a smuch as others seem too tbh. He's a weird guy. Thinking about the likes of Curtis Davies and Reo-Coker he didn't even use them as part of a rotation. It seems once he turns on you then you never see the pitch. All the more bizarre because Villa typically seem to burn out quite dramatically towards the end of the season. Let's not forget the year he completely threw away their UEFA campaign by fielding teens. Just some really bizarre stuff.

I'm with you Brummie. Thin you'll ultimately be better off.

Never really liked O'Neill a smuch as others seem too tbh. He's a weird guy. Thinking about the likes of Curtis Davies and Reo-Coker he didn't even use them as part of a rotation. It seems once he turns on you then you never see the pitch. All the more bizarre because Villa typically seem to burn out quite dramatically towards the end of the season. Let's not forget the year he completely threw away their UEFA campaign by fielding teens. Just some really bizarre stuff.

The non usage of the squad players that he bought in favour of running the same team into the ground whilst yet again burning out at the end of the season was bizarre.

It was so depressing hearing the exact same starting XI read out, with the exact same tactics which don't work at home, week after week.

The non usage of the squad players that he bought in favour of running the same team into the ground whilst yet again burning out at the end of the season was bizarre.

It was so depressing hearing the exact same starting XI read out, with the exact same tactics which don't work at home, week after week.

Particularly as every once in a while - usually through injury - the team would line up 4-5-1 and play really well. NRC in particular must have been unbelievably frustrated.

I'd been told that he modelled himself on Clough...and it all fits. My wife (Villa) is chuffed he's left. I'd be gutted if you got Jol, mind.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Please let it be Steve Staunton who gets it.

Holy crap, didn't even think about that, probably for a good reason though.  :lol: Dean Saunders could be his Assistant Manager.

Would love it if they got Kinnear.  :lol:

Not that I would wish Kinnear to any team - but it would be very funny to see him in his press conferences, getting touchline bans, telling lies to the fans and so on... Just at any other club than here.

This issue of wages seems to have hit a number of clubs at the same time.

Overpaying players on the reasoning that they're going to get you into Europe or whatever can only work if you're the only club that's doing it. If everyone plays the same game, then they cancel each other out.

The Portsmouth crisis has really sobered everyone up. There's the dilemma of do you stay solvent and risk getting relegated, or do you splash the cash and risk going bust. A lot of owners are now going for option 1.