Nolan appointed club captain

AlanSkÃrare

Why do some seem to genuinely believe Barton is a viable option? I hope he gets back to his city performances but if we are honest with ourselves the number of months he spent in prison is bigger than the number of good performances he has given us. That's not to mention his injuries and suspensions.

Nolan was the obvious choice and as last season showed, under hughton being captain guarantees nothing. The only reason I Nolan will start games will be if he is the best option which sadly he was last season.

Makes sense I suppose, he's obviously a popular figure in the dressing room.

I do think that he could become a problem for us though, unfortunately. Play him in CM and he's a passenger in terms of attempting to play any sort of passing game, play him in the hole just off Carroll and we've got the least mobile strikeforce of all time.

I'd be happy with him being used as an impact sub type, throw him on late when you're chasing a goal or when you want an extra man in midfield while protecting a lead. But long term I'd want rid of him sooner rather than later. Fully expect the goals to dry up this year now that we're back in the Premiership, and once you take those away he's pretty much rubbish. Hopefully I'm wrong and he keep getting the goals for us, but I just can't see it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Best choice available, surely? Just hope he can score half as many as he did last season.

Let's hope he scores twice as many. Can't see anyone else doing it TBH.

You're doing it wrong, its HBA!

the more i see him the more i think hes turning into a striker, sure he hasn't got much pace and mobility is questionable but he just seems to know when and where to be to stick it away and hes a good finisher

Like a chubby scouse Sheringham