Nolan appointed club captain

AlanSkÃrare

He's a good finisher and is usually in exactly the right place. Apart from that, he's abysmal.

He's a striker, basically.

Yep. If we do sign Ben Arfa, i'm happy having him as third or fourth choice striker/forward. He's definitely a striker though - none of this CM/in-the-hole silliness.

He's a good finisher and is usually in exactly the right place. Apart from that, he's abysmal.

He's a striker, basically.

Like a chubby scouse Michael Owen?

Better comparison than Sheringham. But Owen cannot finish anymore, such a shame for the lad, and English football.

Nah it wasn't a like for like comparison.  More he has similar speed getting around the pitch, when they aren't scoring they are both kind of anonymous, and are both better in the final third of the pitch then anywhere else.

I would say he is more like Lampard personally, give him 10 penalties this season, I'm sure he will reach about 16 league goals.

Lampard can get up and down the pitch reasonably quickly so can be part of a pass and move midfield. Nolan trundles back and trundles forwards too slowly but he's effective in dead ball situations or goalmouth scrambles. We won't play good passing football with Nolan in the side, but we can be effective like Stoke.

I would say he is more like Lampard personally, give him 10 penalties this season, I'm sure he will reach about 16 league goals.

Lampard can get up and down the pitch reasonably quickly so can be part of a pass and move midfield. Nolan trundles back and trundles forwards too slowly but he's effective in dead ball situations or goalmouth scrambles. We won't play good passing football with Nolan in the side, but we can be effective like Stoke.

I see the point your getting at, but wasn't his second goal yesterday a goalmouth scramble ???

I see the point your getting at, but wasn't his second goal yesterday a goalmouth scramble ???

Well I said he's effective in golamouth scrambles so yeah.

Well I said he's effective in golamouth scrambles so yeah.

:lol:

I don't get all the Nolan hate around here. He scores goals and he's clearly been a central figure in uniting the dressing room and bringing the lads together. Based on last year, he deserves his chance in the side and his role as captain, and yesterday he showed that he can be effective at this level as well. Obviously there will be games when he doesn't play well or where his lack of pace will get the best of him, but for the most part, he doesn't deserve the grief that some people would direct at him.

I dont understand how people want him dropped and slag him off when he is scoring goals. All this "i know he scored twice, but..." stuff is nonsense, he scored 2 goals give him a break. I know he isn't great outside of scoring, but until the goals dry up and we really have a problem on our hands people should just lay off him.

I dont understand how people want him dropped and slag him off when he is scoring goals. All this "i know he scored twice, but..." stuff is nonsense, he scored 2 goals give him a break. I know he isn't great outside of scoring, but until the goals dry up and we really have a problem on our hands people should just lay off him.

this

I would like to see us progress to a more passing game this season and that's not going to happen with Nolan in the side. It's not about slagging him off for no reason, you have to give him credit for the goals if we are getting results. But those teams that don't have Nolan's goals and are playing good football..that's where we want to be.

I would like to see us progress to a more passing game this season and that's not going to happen with Nolan in the side. It's not about slagging him off for no reason, you have to give him credit for the goals if we are getting results. But those teams that don't have Nolan's goals and are playing good football..that's where we want to be.

I thought we passed Villa off the park yesterday imo.

Guest optimistic nit

I thought we passed Villa off the park yesterday imo.

i cant remember ever seeing a newcastle side play a passing game as good as that (in terms of keeping posession), or have finishing as clinical as ours was. however badly villa played, i was really impressed with our passing, finishing and winning back of possession once villa had it. true villa played poorly, but they had won their 2 games before they played us, imo one of the main reasons for villas bad performance was the likes of carroll, barton, smith and jonas closing people down and winning the ball in the midfield. we gave them no room to breathe yesterday.