Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Against lesser teams I think we might have had a bit of success on the counter, tbh.

Once again, Nolan was a complete passenger. Although, had Barton raised his head on a couple of occasions then Nolan would have found himself in very good positions to score- I will give him credit for that. But if we're to survive this season then he's got to take a back seat. Whether that means opting for Lovenkrands alongside Carroll instead or signing someone like Ben Arfa remains to be seen but he should be used as a sub in future.

After tonight, I feel that against the teams we 'need' to beat, we have a good chance against them at home. We'll have a big crowd behind us and if we bring the game to them and keep our discipline then we'll find some joy. I won't be easy, however.

I think the final score flattered us tonight, Man U were more than 3 goals better than us.  I don't know what the final possession percentage was for them but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the high 60's.  Our defence is getting a bit of stick on here when I think they've done well to keep it to 3 considering we had nothing in midfield and for all Carroll ran a lot, we had nothing up front as far as a goal threat goes.  I've seen us play a lot worse at Old Trafford with better players so I'm not going to get too down on this result.  On tonight’s performance our whole midfield could be replaced and they wouldn’t be able to argue about it.

Guest malandro

Not a lot to be learnt about the rest of the season from that.  We made a decent stab of shutting up shop and away to lesser sides it might pay dividends, or we might struggle due to a lack of attacking options. The Villa game should be a lot more informative.  One thing that stood out was how easily we were bullied off the ball. Last season we were bigger and stronger than the opposition, yet today it was the other way round with our players frequently ending up on their arse after any kind of physical contact. It could be the MU factor but they’re far from being the most physical side in the league.

Went as expected tonight. We looked pretty solid as a unit without really offering any threat bar Carroll (who I thought did very well on his own) Can't understand as to why Hughton didn't put anyone on Scholes because he ran the game. Naive on Hughton's part perhaps? Kevin Nolan turned in another invisible man performance. He has to realize that he has to contribute more as him hiding will become more evident in this league than the Championship.

All in all, I'm not disappointed. One of the hardest away trips is out of the way now and we can look forward to getting a win against Villa on Sunday (another very tough game I might add)

Hughton wanted to play all his senior midfielders, unfortunately Barton, Smith and Nolan are all slow and despite being much older, Scholes ran rings round them because he's not a busted flush.

I'm worried. We all knew Nolan would go missing for the full 90 minutes. We all knew Perch was going to be exposed badly. And we all knew Smith was going to be chasing shadows all game.

So why doesn't our Chris.

I'm worried. We all knew Nolan would go missing for the full 90 minutes. We all knew Perch was going to be exposed badly. And we all knew Smith was going to be chasing shadows all game.

There simply wasn't much room for manoeuvre with the players we have fit.

We have a limited squad, mate. There's really not much difference (if any) between Raylor and Perch, whilst there's no other 'DM' replacement for Smith. Hands are tied.

He didn't have any world-class right backs on the bench, to be fair to him.

There was no-one near Scholes all game, which is why I believe Hughton didn't put anyone on him. If he did, whoever that was wants shot for not getting within 5 yards of him. Not good enough!

Worry is for me that if Hughton's blue eyed boys don't cut it (and quickly) will he be tough and get them out of the side? I'm not so sure.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I like everyone else expected us to get beat, which we did however this was a good exercise in knowing thy place.

We were well out of our league there and that's exactly what our championship winners needed, they need to know what the task is this season and they have to step up to the plate. We really needed Sol Campbell to steer the defence and command the back 4. In midfield we needed a Ben Arfa type of creative player (normally Jonas but not tonight) to drive forward and put them on the back foot. As for up front Carroll was good, if he had of scored that header early on it would have been a different game for sure, but he shows promise and I believe he will deliver.

Conclusion:- They need to get match fit and they need an attacking midfielder who can take the edge off, I'm sure the next game they will be on their toes.

Who else was thinking of Oba Martins tonight?

Aye, getting dicked at Old Trafford, whats new?

Not fucked about the result, it was inenvitable. We need to get a decent result against Villa though, a decent positive performance at least.

A pacy striker along side Carroll, an attacking midfielder and a decent holding midfielder, please, Chris.

Keep the faith.

Look what was on the bench man. Jesus Christ.

Barton, Smith and Nolan were all going to play, given Guthrie and Loven were both injured. If we'd had a fully fit squad and he'd still plumped for a 4-5-1, i'd have been pretty disappointed. As it was, we were on a hiding to absolutely nothing against a side like Manu - cos their players will just run the midfield and create chances all day long. We won't be the only ones they take to pieces this season. 

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think the final score flattered us tonight, Man U were more than 3 goals better than us.  I don't know what the final possession percentage was for them but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the high 60's.  Our defence is getting a bit of stick on here when I think they've done well to keep it to 3 considering we had nothing in midfield and for all Carroll ran a lot, we had nothing up front as far as a goal threat goes.  I've seen us play a lot worse at Old Trafford with better players so I'm not going to get too down on this result.  On tonight’s performance our whole midfield could be replaced and they wouldn’t be able to argue about it.

I honestly thought Man U were shit, they missed a hat full of chances from our mistakes and against better op like Chelsea we would be looking at a minimum of 6-0

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Tbf to Chris, who else has he got? Vuckic? Come on

Guest neesy111

Whats the point in playing nolan, may as well have another striker upfront, as it would not make one difference at all

I honestly thought Man U were shit, they missed a hat full of chances from our mistakes and against better op like Chelsea we would be looking at a minimum of 6-0

Equally, we should definitely have prevented the second goal and we could have scored at least one.

Guest neesy111

Tbf to Chris, who else has he got? Vuckic? Come on

he keep's saying he's got money, then bloody spend it!

I was pleasantly surprised with Carroll's performance in particular.  Cannot fault his work rate at all - constantly fighting and winning headers, tracking way back to defend, he put in a hell of a 90 minutes of work.  Shame about the missed header, though.  Agree with those who say a creative attacking midfielder or a second striker working off him would do wonders for him.

Better crossing would have netted us a goal, I feel.  Would hope we could add someone who could pick a pass - we seem quite useful in the air in the box.

Negatives - Perch was awful for the most part, Nolan and Smith offer nothing and do it slowly, still not convinced about Colo at this level. 

All in all, it was exactly what we should have expected.

Guest Matticus

Decent pre-season test.

Thought Jonas was spectacular with his pace at times but again (surprise surprise) lacked a good final touch, although he did sometimes play the ball into an area where you'd expect at least one of our players to be within 700 lightyears of. Andy Carroll again played rather well given the absolutely hopeless role he plays up front by himself. Williamson looked strong in defense, and I was quite impressed by our passing at times.

What disappointed me most is Nolan, he showed again why he cannot in anyway function in the premier league as a midfielder, be it central or attacking. Like suggested previously in this thread, he has to be used as a striker or else he's hopeless. Our lack of pace in the centre desperately needs to be addressed.

Can't say I enjoy getting beat 3-0 but it means nothing, hopefully we'll kick off our season against Villa.

Guest neesy111

the thing that did me was we defended like it was the championship again:

jonas on that first goal, wtf

jose on the 3rd, just bloody clear the ball into touch ffs

I`m sincerely worried about the Smith situation tbh

With Guthrie back there should be no doubt about who should start.

Guthrie is another windbag. 35yr old Scholes would have run rings round him too.

Look what was on the bench man. Jesus Christ.

Barton, Smith and Nolan were all going to play, given Guthrie and Loven were both injured. If we'd had a fully fit squad and he'd still plumped for a 4-5-1, i'd have been pretty disappointed. As it was, we were on a hiding to absolutely nothing against a side like Manu - cos their players will just run the midfield and create chances all day long. We won't be the only ones they take to pieces this season. 

Exactly.  :sadnod:

They put 3 past Chelsea last weekend and will score loads this season.