Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

I think we can be relatively pleased with our performance last night. To me however, the biggest issue was the completely one-dimensional, hopeless 4-5-1 we were playing. Nolan is going to do nothing this season, playing in that position.

I think we can be relatively pleased with our performance last night. To me however, the biggest issue was the completely one-dimensional, hopeless 4-5-1 we were playing. Nolan is going to do nothing this season, playing in that position.

What did you expect? We saw it numerous times last season against far, far worse opposition.

I honestly think people have forgotten just how bang average we were for long spells of games last season, especially away from home. Long ball, no invention, little drive and a lack of anybody willing to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. All that's changed since then personnel-wise is Barton, who in fairness has looked capable of picking a pass and who definitely doesn't hide away from the ball. If we're going to put Guthrie in for Smith then things should look better again.

Despite that though, this season is going to be eye-gougingly bad in terms of footballing quality if we don't add some pace and trickery to the midfield, which thankfully it looks like the people who matter have realised. That was Manchester United in third gear, at best, last night. They strolled it.

A note on the fans too, the "Geordie Vuvuzela" sounded mint on the TV. Thought they were great, as usual.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/08/17/kevin-nolan-in-battle-to-be-fit-for-aston-villa-72703-27077398/

For what it's worth, a possible excuse for Nolan's performance. Article doesn't say whether he's been concussed for the past 18 months, but still, I suppose we should bear it in mind for last night.

That's probably from when he bumped heads with Fletcher (?) when they both jumped for the ball. That was 30 or so minutes in, but he was shit from the start so I'd say no, that's not an excuse for his performance.

Actually yeah, remember him getting a dunt earlier on.

Aye, they put a bit of ''wax'' on him according to Alan Smith. I completely agree Rich, we were anonymous going forward at times last season and relied on our usually solid back line to get us through games. The thing is, we can't afford to do that this season. We simply have to score goals to stay up - and with the tactics we played last night, we won't be.

We can take more positives than expected from the game, such as our defending (not including Perch). Once again though our problem is our midfield sits so far back and is so static we invite pressure. 3-0 was a fair result but it was far from a disaster.

Did you go last night btw? Sure I saw you on the tele.

Barton better in possession?! Didn't realise he even had any possession. Was too busy giving it to Man United.

Yep. Woeful.

SSN had some nimrod going through the OPTA stats from last night to demonstrate how good Scholes was, and he was class btw, and our best passer (completed passes) was Barton with about 57 iirc. Man Utd had 4 or 5 players who completed more passes but Barton was our top performer.

Found it difficult to believe but it was the official stats they used.

Barton better in possession?! Didn't realise he even had any possession. Was too busy giving it to Man United.

Yep. Woeful.

SSN had some nimrod going through the OPTA stats from last night to demonstrate how good Scholes was, and he was class btw, and our best passer (completed passes) was Barton with about 57 iirc. Man Utd had 4 or 5 players who completed more passes but Barton was our top performer.

Thought Barton did alreet myself. Kept it ticking over in the middle when we had the ball. Lacked urgency though at times although that could've been due to lack of options.

Yep. Woeful.

Thought Barton did alreet myself. Kept it ticking over in the middle when we had the ball. Lacked urgency though at times although that could've been due to lack of options.

Seemed to give the ball away loads whilst watching the game but he was always involved and didn't hide. He was comfortably better than Nolan and more mobile and involved than Smith. Would love to see how many passes Gutierrez completed...  :undecided:

Guest jeffers09

What a crazy night i had got pulled out at half time by a few stewards telling me to come with them next thing i know im being accused of throwing coins on the pitch(which i didnt ) ended up getting arrested and being in a cell untill about 4am then getting released great policing that didnt have a clue were i was untill i found a travelodge near the ground ending up chatting to a few lads who said i could crash in there bathroom for the night.Plus there was no bar staff at the the place so ended up raidng the fridge and getting smashed.

well thats the short version of my story anyway could probably write a book on it if i was to go in to detail  :facepalm:

What a crazy night i had got pulled out at half time by a few stewards telling me to come with them next thing i know im being accused of throwing coins on the pitch(which i didnt ) ended up getting arrested and being in a cell untill about 4am then getting released great policing that didnt have a clue were i was untill i found a travelodge near the ground ending up chatting to a few lads who said i could crash in there bathroom for the night.Plus there was no bar staff at the the place so ended up raidng the fridge and getting smashed.

well thats the short version of my story anyway could probably right a book on it if i was to go in to detail  :facepalm:

unorthodox match report, i'll give you that

Just watched the game again and imo:

Harper-6 didnt have much to do but was sloppy for the 3rd goal looked sluggish whole game

Perch-5-weakest player on the pitch didnt look comfortable and positioning was bad

Colo-6- played well but seemed berbatov and fletcher got past him with ease

Williamson- 7- had rooney in his back pocket good solid game joint MOM imo

Jose-6.5- looked solid until the first goal got better in second half

Routledge-6- started well but dissapeared quite quickly

Barton-6.5- was probably our best cm, i felt sorry for him because for alot of the match he was waiting for jonas to run so he could put a through ball in and didnt get the run of jonas

Smith-6-Played much better than i was expecting good blocks but still jumps in for no reason what so ever

Nolan-5.5- dissapeared after first ten mins might of been of getting clattered by vidic

Jonas-6- showed moments of promise very good at holding balls but should of been giving cms more options

Carroll- 7- joint MOM imo was excellent for a 21 yr old against a cb of vidics quality very good on deck, much faster than i thought but should of scored that header

Xisco-6- showed promise when he came on good cut in for shot aswell not a LW though

Ameobi-6- not good at all would rather xisco came on before him

Van Der Sar- 7- Played well didnt really have much to do but stopped everything that came to him

O'Shea-6- didnt nothing noticeable

Vidic- 7- seemed troubled by carroll but still played well

Evans-6- see oshea

Evra-7- Great LB good going forward and good defender totally took out by perch though :lol:

Valencia- 6- average at best enrique seemed to deal with him well

Fletcher-7- decent good on ball easy goal for him

Scholes-9- easily MOM was brilliant i thought we were going to shut him up at start when we closed him down well but all promise faded and he played excellent

Nani- 6- didnt really notice him tbh other than when he overreacted to bartons tackle and got him a yellow

Rooney- 6- i wasnt impressed at all williamson handled him well

Berbatov-7.5- great touch good goal

Rafael-5-didnt have much to do by time he came on we had totally given up

Giggs-7- came on was lively and took goal well even though i think harper could of got it

Hernandez-6- seems lively

Overall i think we were always going to lose and i think we played well. We desperately need a striker to work of carroll though and one of PL standard because i dont think lovenkrands is going to be able to cut it in this league.

A bit late, but here it goes. Thought there was plenty of promise from our lot and its just a shame we kept doing stupid errors. 3-0 was probably about fair, but we weren't shown up at all, so chin is most definitely up!!!

Barton had a poor game tbh but he's one of only two CM's at the club who do one very important thing.

He actually goes looking for the ball from his teammates. Maybe he doesn't always make best use of it but we need more of that in our team if we're ever going to play anything other than horrible, agricultural football.

Nolan thrives on that horrible football so he never goes looking for the ball, Smith to be fair to him knows that he's shite so he doesn't look for it either. Guthrie does it, but not enough for my liking sometimes.

Need to start Barton and Guthrie in CM as soon as Guthrie's back.

Guest Mighty Toon Army

Was good to hear Geordie Vuvuzela come out a few times :)

That Vuvuzlea shite is quite frankly awful!!! 

Guest Mighty Toon Army

It's a toss between sounding like Millwall or trying to imitate that horrendous sound that played a big factor in ruining the World Cup

Guest Mighty Toon Army

Was good to hear Geordie Vuvuzela come out a few times :)

That Vuvuzlea s**** is quite frankly awful!!! 

Yep. Funny the first time you hear it, after that it's painful.

It shows how bad our support is getting if we're relying on that shite to attempt to create an atmosphere.