Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

Quite laughable that the Sheff Utd goal is being mentioned, it was a penalty, man.

The vast majority of his goals came against poor teams. He managed 13 league goals from open play and people seem to think he's a PL player, it's daft.

Quite laughable that the Sheff Utd goal is being mentioned, it was a penalty, man.

The vast majority of his goals came against poor teams. He managed 13 league goals from open play and people seem to think he's a PL player, it's daft.

You say that as though we have a credible alternative.

So it was. Those 13 goals came with only 19 starts though.

The vast majority of Carroll's goals came against poor teams. The vast majority of Nolan's came against poor teams. The vast majority of Xisco's (actually all of them) came against poor teams. Again, what point are you making? Why is Lovenkrands being criticised for only playing against poorer opposition when we spent the season in the Championship? :lol:

It's like asking why Darren Bent doesn't score many in Europe these days.

Basically. Our strikers are shit because they didn't score enough Premier League goals last season.

I'd like us to start with two up front, regardless of who partners Carroll, it's a signal of intent from Hughton and should see a positive start to the game from our point of view.

Our options are limited though. I suspect Ameobi might start.

The Lovenkrands debate is redundant as far as this game is concerned, he's not available. So it should really be about who will partner Carroll, and for me it should be Xisco or Vukic. Nolan should partner the bench.

The Lovenkrands debate is redundant as far as this game is concerned, he's not available. So it should really be about who will partner Carroll, and for me it should be Xisco or Vukic. Nolan should partner the bench.

Xisco?  By all accounts he was rubbish when he returned to Spain last year.  So what exactly has he done to deserve a start? 

Even Nile Ranger has done more to warrant one.

The vast majority of Carroll's goals came against poor teams. The vast majority of Nolan's came against poor teams. The vast majority of Xisco's (actually all of them) came against poor teams. Again, what point are you making? Why is Lovenkrands being criticised for only playing against poorer opposition when we spent the season in the Championship? :lol:

People want Lovenkrands in the team on the strength of him being able to get goals. He just wont get them in this league. And he certainly contributes nowt else, similar to Nolan in that respect.

Xisco?  By all accounts he was rubbish when he returned to Spain last year.  So what exactly has he done to deserve a start? 

Even Nile Ranger has done more to warrant one.

He has two legs and can run. I don't think Nolan has those qualities yet he will be considered.

People want Lovenkrands in the team on the strength of him being able to get goals. He just wont get them in this league. And he certainly contributes nowt else, similar to Nolan in that respect.

So who is going to get goals and contribute that's on our books at the moment?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Is he confirmed as not available?

If not we'll probably go 4-4-1-1 again, unchanged from Man Utd

Newcastle v Aston Villa

Having to travel to Old Trafford first up is always tough for a newly-promoted side but you have to take positives out of football matches and Newcastle can look back at that match and just accept that the hosts were outstanding and would have beaten virtually any other team in the world playing like that. Besides, they've now got one of the toughest fixtures in football out of the way and can focus on getting something from a far more winnable one.

This is a decent Newcastle squad, or at least it's better than that of the other two newly-promoted teams, but they'll need their experienced men like Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton to lead by example. You can't expect the likes of Andy Carroll, who is relatively new to this league, to start winning matches by himself, or at least not this early on in the season, so the guys who know what this league is all about are the ones who need to stand up and be counted.

It's been a lively couple of weeks at Villa Park. The departure of Martin O'Neill was followed by a 3-0 win over West Ham, which was followed by the sale of James Milner, and arrival of Stephen Ireland. As things stand Kevin MacDonald is the man in charge and it was nice to see midweek that he has the full support of senior players such as club captain Stiliyan Petrov.

This match is a good example of both teams seeing a share of the points as a decent return for their afternoon's work and my instinct is that's what they'll get.

Newcastle v Aston Villa

Having to travel to Old Trafford first up is always tough for a newly-promoted side but you have to take positives out of football matches and Newcastle can look back at that match and just accept that the hosts were outstanding and would have beaten virtually any other team in the world playing like that. Besides, they've now got one of the toughest fixtures in football out of the way and can focus on getting something from a far more winnable one.

This is a decent Newcastle squad, or at least it's better than that of the other two newly-promoted teams, but they'll need their experienced men like Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton to lead by example. You can't expect the likes of Andy Carroll, who is relatively new to this league, to start winning matches by himself, or at least not this early on in the season, so the guys who know what this league is all about are the ones who need to stand up and be counted.

It's been a lively couple of weeks at Villa Park. The departure of Martin O'Neill was followed by a 3-0 win over West Ham, which was followed by the sale of James Milner, and arrival of Stephen Ireland. As things stand Kevin MacDonald is the man in charge and it was nice to see midweek that he has the full support of senior players such as club captain Stiliyan Petrov.

This match is a good example of both teams seeing a share of the points as a decent return for their afternoon's work and my instinct is that's what they'll get.

Yes please.

Is he confirmed as not available?

If not we'll probably go 4-4-1-1 again, unchanged from Man Utd

Don't think it's confirmed but more than likely he's out from the news being leaked.

Good defenders will eat Lovenkrands for breakfast. We cannot afford players who can't really assert themselves.

The Good defenders will, yes. However, the teams that we'll be competing with dont tend to have 2 good central defenders. Is it certain the likes of Jody Craddock, Zat Knight, Robert Huth, Emmerson Boyce, Winston Reid etc etc will "eat him for breakfast"? The chances are these players will be starting against us in crucial games, I'd fancy his pace and movement to cause a few problems against the bottom half teams if I'm honest, more so than Xisco.

This is the Villa thread, mate. Villa have good defenders.

However, if you look at the teams Loven scored against last season, a pattern appears.

Villa will have Ciaran Clark at centre half making only his 4th appearance. Hardly can be considered a good premier league defender. I'd fancy Lovenkrands to cause more problems than Xisco like.

Wait till you have seen Clark. Tremendous prospect.

Good defenders will eat Lovenkrands for breakfast. We cannot afford players who can't really assert themselves.

The Good defenders will, yes. However, the teams that we'll be competing with dont tend to have 2 good central defenders. Is it certain the likes of Jody Craddock, Zat Knight, Robert Huth, Emmerson Boyce, Winston Reid etc etc will "eat him for breakfast"? The chances are these players will be starting against us in crucial games, I'd fancy his pace and movement to cause a few problems against the bottom half teams if I'm honest, more so than Xisco.

However, if you look at the teams Loven scored against last season, a pattern appears.

Villa will have Ciaran Clark at centre half making only his 4th appearance. Hardly can be considered a good premier league defender. I'd fancy Lovenkrands to cause more problems than Xisco like.

Doesn't matter if he had the talent of Nesta, 4 premier league matches means he lacks experience

Andy Gray is such a tit. Man Utd were far from outstanding, they would've gotten beaten easily by many top teams playing the way they did against us.

Sky are just biased towards Villa, always have been.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd take a draw tomorrow just to get off the mark, as long as we get 4-6 points from Wolves & Blackpool.

A draw would be a good result. And 4 points from Wolves & Blackpool

Wait til he meets Xisco. He'll soon lose his prospect.