Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest hatem garrincha

He's an absolute fraud like. Everything positive he does is completely negated by his lack of discipline and inability to keep possession. Waste of a shirt, waste of a 'purple'. We can definitely find better for his position from the cheapo French bargain bin. There'll still be sides willing to pay around £8m for Tiote IMO and we could probably get an upgrade for half of that.

He's far from a fraud. He never hides at all so you're letting your hatred of him get in your way when saying that

Seriously I really don't understand the Tiote scapegoating after that game. He wasn't great ok, but he was better that many on the pitch.

Would love to see what a new manager does with him. He was so effective in his first season.

This, I put it down to Pardew not playing him right. His best games (apart for Man Utd at home last season) were under Hughton really. Pardew has slowly eroded his ability away.

He's an absolute fraud like. Everything positive he does is completely negated by his lack of discipline and inability to keep possession. Waste of a shirt, waste of a 'purple'. We can definitely find better for his position from the cheapo French bargain bin. There'll still be sides willing to pay around £8m for Tiote IMO and we could probably get an upgrade for half of that.

He's far from a fraud. He never hides at all so you're letting your hatred of him get in your way when saying that

I never accused him of hiding; he is a fraud though because he's not the player he's deployed to be, in the slightest. He's supposed to relieve pressure, win physical battles without conceding too many fouls (obviously there will be some extent of those) and keep possession by giving the ball to the creative players. He certainly doesn't do the first, he overkills on the second and as for the third, he can't fucking pass the ball five yards.

Add in his complete lack of discipline, the stupid bookings and occasional sendings off and he's an absolute liability. He's shit, and I really hope someone else is stupid enough to buy him.

Guest reefatoon

I never accused him of hiding; he is a fraud though because he's not the player he's deployed to be, in the slightest. He's supposed to relieve pressure, win physical battles without conceding too many fouls (obviously there will be some extent of those) and keep possession by giving the ball to the creative players. He certainly doesn't do the first, he overkills on the second and as for the third, he can't f***ing pass the ball five yards.

Add in his complete lack of discipline, the stupid bookings and occasional sendings off and he's an absolute liability. He's s***, and I really hope someone else is stupid enough to buy him.

There isn't much he can do regarding the third point when his midfield partner (the more creative one) is sitting inbetween our centrebacks.  We need to push Cabaye further forward, he sits far too deep and this ends up pushing Tiote further forward.

Given his disciplinary record and resulting missed games he's likely  been warned "no bookings" or you're dropped, and as a result he's been sh*te scared to do anything. He's shown teeny glimpses of quality when under pressure, but screwed up far more often. Playing him and Cabaye so deep against the Scum was bordering on criminal.

He's being asked to do too much, Pardews comments about him becoming an Essien type player point towards this. Technically, he isn't bad, he just needs to keep it simple much more, stick to the basics and be a water carrier for the more gifted in the team.

He's being asked to do too much, Pardews comments about him becoming an Essien type player point towards this. Technically, he isn't bad, he just needs to keep it simple much more, stick to the basics and be a water carrier for the more gifted in the team.

thing is if people want cabaye to play further forward then tiote (if he plays) will get more of the ball and to keep it simple drags everyone towards him. i don't think tiote's got worse as much as he's been sussed.

thing is if people want cabaye to play further forward then tiote (if he plays) will get more of the ball and to keep it simple drags everyone towards him. i don't think tiote's got worse as much as he's been sussed.

If we have a 3 man midfield then surely it will involve either Cabaye or Sissoko playing closer to Tiote. With one of those beside him, 2 good ball playing FBs and decent/good ball playing CB behind him (Colo/MYM) he has options to lay it off quickly.

For what he is, and what he can be used for, he's gone backwards somewhat. So have a quite a few other players this season. He shouldn't be an automatic choice. It's horses for courses. He's decent enough, just needs to get his mind right and have clearer instructions as to what to do.

I think Tiote is struggling for the same reason Anita has been lately - lack of options when he's on the ball. He'll always try hold on to it rather than just hoof it so the chances of him being caught in possession increase.

The lack of off-the-ball movement is probably the most glaring deficiency in our team at the moment, which is why it's a little worrying to hear Pardew say he was going to spend the extra time in training this work working on the team's shape. I would have them playing Keegan-style one touch 5-a-sides several days every week, get to know each other properly as players again.

I think Tiote is struggling for the same reason Anita has been lately - lack of options when he's on the ball. He'll always try hold on to it rather than just hoof it so the chances of him being caught in possession increase.

The lack of off-the-ball movement is probably the most glaring deficiency in our team at the moment, which is why it's a little worrying to hear Pardew say he was going to spend the extra time in training this work working on the team's shape. I would have them playing Keegan-style one touch 5-a-sides several days every week, get to know each other properly as players again.

This. We are becoming a rarity in our static appearance. I watch quite a bit of football from all over Europe. There are teams in Sweden moving about better than us. It's as if we have forgotten about the basics of attacking. Sissoko, Marveaux and Ben Arfa are moving when they're on the ball. Debuchy ploughs is channel. Nothing else.

We have seen time and time again that Tiote coming back from injuy/suspension is a bit shakey in his first few appearances. On form he's a much better player than Perch could ever hope to be. For that reason I'd persist with Cheick for the run in personally. As for his role in the formation; we've been saying he needs to keep it stupid simple for months now. I'm not a Pardew hater, but I do think he's criminally misusing Tiote if he thinks he should playing in some playmaker capacity. He's brilliant if he just keeps to the basics of shielding the back four, winning the ball and pass it on to the likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Sissoko.

If he acts primarily as a shield for the defence, he's awesome. Seeing him fling a wild boot for an attempt at a shot is downright depressing, shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to their area for that.

If he acts primarily as a shield for the defence, he's awesome. Seeing him fling a wild boot for an attempt at a shot is downright depressing, shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to their area for that.

Exactly this. Moving left to right, snubbing things out, breaking things up and then giving it with short, simple passes. Through the formation, tactics and coaching he seems to have been coached out of what made him good in the first place to the extent that my heart now sinks when I see him on the team sheet.

Should never start a game for us again. Hopefully some clubs still think he's good and may actually pay a fee for him.