Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

His importance was emphasised yesterday when we were constantly under pressure in the second half and he was our only midfield outlet who wanted the ball and was able to retain possession.

Without him we would have lost yesterday by a hatful.

Why did Twente let him go for such a low fee? Are they struggling for money?

His importance was emphasised yesterday when we were constantly under pressure in the second half and he was our only midfield outlet who wanted the ball and was able to retain possession.

Without him we would have lost yesterday by a hatful.

Why did Twente let him go for such a low fee? Are they struggling for money?

He wasn't really a starter for them, just came on and shored up the defence late in a game. Don't think he was as suited to the Dutch game to be truly appreciated from the sounds of it.

He wasn't really a starter for them, just came on and shored up the defence late in a game. Don't think he was as suited to the Dutch game to be truly appreciated from the sounds of it.

Strange. It's a bit like saying an Essien wouldn't suit the dutch league. I would've thought that the style of player both are, would suit most leagues regardless of league style.

Both are strong, great tacklers, excellent for retaining possession and keeping play ticking over when in possession whilst breaking things up/giving you an option when out of possession.

Weird one.

Pound for pound (at this stage) I can't think of many players who have looked better value for money in many a long year. Des Hamilton aside.

Like I say Minhosa, can't be sure. That's just the way it seemed to sound to me from interviews etc. McClaren said he'd suit the English game perfectly and is a fantastic player, but he only ever used him off the bench. Considering they were the Champions, maybe they just didn't need to use a space for a defence-minded player when they controlled games so easily? Complete guess, I know nothing of the Dutch leagues :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He's shown with that daft mistake and a couple of dodgy moments at home, that he's not as good as I thought he was, but quite frankly it hardly matters, he's still fucking excellent for us, and away from home he's exactly what we need. A calm beast.

Like I say Minhosa, can't be sure. That's just the way it seemed to sound to me from interviews etc. McClaren said he'd suit the English game perfectly and is a fantastic player, but he only ever used him off the bench. Considering they were the Champions, maybe they just didn't need to use a space for a defence-minded player when they controlled games so easily? Complete guess, I know nothing of the Dutch leagues :lol:

Yeah - likewise, just seems a strange move letting him go on the (relative) cheap.

Still waiting to find out he has some Dyer-esque disease giving him one great season and then complete bone erosion by the end of his contract.  :lol:

He's shown with that daft mistake and a couple of dodgy moments at home, that he's not as good as I thought he was, but quite frankly it hardly matters, he's still f***ing excellent for us, and away from home he's exactly what we need. A calm beast.

:lol:

This quote is funny. Is the guy not allowed to make a single mistake? How good did you think he was exactly? Did you think he was a perfect footballing cyborg or something? The man is a brilliant player. Simples.

He's shown with that daft mistake and a couple of dodgy moments at home, that he's not as good as I thought he was, but quite frankly it hardly matters, he's still f***ing excellent for us, and away from home he's exactly what we need. A calm beast.

This quote is funny. Is the guy not allowed to make a single mistake? How good did you think he was exactly? Did you think he was a perfect footballing cyborg or something? The man is a brilliant player. Simples.

Even Robocop had glitches.  :nods:

Guest firetotheworks

You're looking for a debate where there isn't one. I just said that it hardly matters, and prior to his big mistake against Blackburn he was near-on flawless, especially away from home. Since then he's been caught in possession a lot more than he was in his first handful of matches. Therefore he's not as good as I thought he was, but like I said, it hardly matters.

Guest ykmkmdd

Since then he's been caught in possession a lot more than he was in his first handful of matches. Therefore he's not as good as I thought he was, but like I said, it hardly matters.

At least part of that will be due to the fact the midfielders he's up against have had a chance to get a look at him, figure out his favoured moves etc. Looks good enough to adapt and keep developing though - amazing one player can make such a difference to our midfield, we would never have shipped 5 at Bolton with him in for Smith.

KI sums up why I can't see him moving along to another club very quickly. He's fucking immense, more than quality enough for a team in our situation. But if he's going to step up much further, a little improvement is needed. And in that time, hopefully we've built the club back up to a respectable level to keep talent like him. Don't get me wrong, love the guy to bits and hope he stays for the rest of his career at this rate. But he's not top 4 quality. At the same time I think he's the sort of player capable of improving, and he's got the raw attributes. Looking forward to see him in our team for years to come.

I think he's top 6 quality easily, probably top 4 in that I think he would get into Spurs' team.

He's obviously going to make mistakes, partly due to his own fault, partly due to some not so good teammates.  He's probably in our best 2-3 players and this is in a team which is 9th in the league (we'd maybe be even higher if Tiote had played every game) so I think he could easily step up to top 6.

I don't know what else he could do within our team to prove he was a top 6 player, he's been MOTM in almost every game he's played and has put in some amazing performances (including having Fabregas in his pocket, fit or not that's a hell of an achievement).  Put some of the players from the top 6 teams in in our team and people would probably say they aren't top 6 standard players.

He's not better than Huddlestone, man.

Redknapp mixes and matches doesn't he?  Palacios played the other day or was Huddlestone injured? I'd have Tiote over Palacios anyway.  Either way, he's easily top 6, if not top 4.

He could step up a bit, to a Europa League challenging team, but I think in the time we'd get a bid (highly doubt he'll leave after 1 season), we've hopefully built ourselves up to be able to keep him anyway. That's not even factoring in the possibility of Ashley rejecting said overtures (:o really could happen guys!), or Cheick even rejecting the move.