Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He does go looking for the ball more than any of our other CM's to be fair to HTT, so I can see what he means.

Never likely to be a huge factor in the final third, but it's great to have a CM who goes looking for the short pass out of defense like he does. We've had too many in the last few years who just hide.

Behold The Enforcer.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6320/tiotem.jpg

41 passes, missed on only 4, against PLs team no. 1 .  As you can see, Tiote is everywhere on the pitch and he kicked ass. He's so good that it's frightening :fwap: 

:tiote:

:notworthy:

Did you not see him stick his leg out as Rooney went past him?

If he had made contact and Rooney had gone down, he would have been sent off imo.

He was praised for not sticking his leg out and giving Rooney the chance to go over

He did stick his leg out.

He didn't make contact with Rooney, so it wasn't a foul, but he was lucky not to be sent off? ???

Did you not see him stick his leg out as Rooney went past him?

If he had made contact and Rooney had gone down, he would have been sent off imo.

He was praised for not sticking his leg out and giving Rooney the chance to go over

He did stick his leg out.

He didn't make contact with Rooney, so it wasn't a foul, but he was lucky not to be sent off? ???

He stuck his leg out, if he had made contact and Rooney had gone down he would have probably been sent off.

A lot of ifs a buts there, but the point remains. As a key player (arguably our best) he has to sort out his discipline.

11 yellows in 23 league appearances is unacceptable imo.

I agree with Colocho on this one, Tiote does need to learn how to hassle a player without fouling him a bit more. Hopefully with a season of experience he will get better.

That said, players go down far too fucking easily and a lot of his yellow cards have been very soft.

He has already said he is trying to learn more about the PL and not to get booked so often BUT to be fair some of his bookings have been unfair AND we do NOT want to take away from his game.

He has already said he is trying to learn more about the PL and not to get booked so often BUT to be fair some of his bookings have been unfair AND we do NOT want to take away from his game.

Yep, plu his bookings are not like Cattermoles, Cattermole flies in hard and nails people...Tiotes doesn;t do his work like that.

I wouldn't call it a discipline issue really, its more an issue of learning his role more and trying to hold players up not having to win the ball back instantly by going to ground or sticking a foot in.

Sometimes he has to take a yellow for the team. He can't help it sometimes since if he doesnt break up play it might end up in a dangerous attempt for the opposition.

Tiote is god, and he was all over the pitch against Man U.

I wouldn't call it a discipline issue really, its more an issue of learning his role more and trying to hold players up not having to win the ball back instantly by going to ground or sticking a foot in.

Didn't Fellaini have the same problem for Everton when he joined.  Like you say, its just a case of learning his role and adjusting to the English game a bit more.

Didn't Fellaini have the same problem for Everton when he joined.  Like you say, its just a case of learning his role and adjusting to the English game a bit more.

Fellaini is a dirty bastard. Tiote isn't.

His discipline is probably the only criticism anyone can have towards him. He's had a brilliant eight months and pound for pound is probably the signing of the season.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his discipline personally. If you take that aggression away from his game, then he won't be the same player.

Plus as Gimp mentioned - at the moment he seems to get booked a lot for trivial things, it's not like he's intentionally going out there to injure opponents.

His discipline is probably the only criticism anyone can have towards him. He's had a brilliant eight months and pound for pound is probably the signing of the season.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his discipline personally. If you take that aggression away from his game, then he won't be the same player.

Plus as Gimp mentioned - at the moment he seems to get booked a lot for trivial things, it's not like he's intentionally going out there to injure opponents.

Not the point really. He's picking up a yellow card in every two games, whether they are 'trivial' fouls or not is irrelevant.

He just needs to be a bit clever sometimes I think, not tackle someone when he could just block their path and protect the space. We miss him a lot when he's out, would be great if he could learn to get suspended less.

I wouldn't want to change his fundamental nature though obviously, you're right there.

A couple of my mates have picked up on him now. They usually just mock me because I hype every good NUFC player, but they're all in agreement here - signing of the season. He's been immense and I think there will definitely be bids for him in the summer but we'll hold on to him for one more season. Really a player to build your team around this.

A couple of my mates have picked up on him now. They usually just mock me because I hype every good NUFC player, but they're all in agreement here - signing of the season. He's been immense and I think there will definitely be bids for him in the summer but we'll hold on to him for one more season. Really a player to build your team around this.

Not if he only plays in 2/3rds of your matches due to suspension he isn't. :shifty: