Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest ShearerWHC

I can't believe this is the real Tiotè. I hope it's just a tactical issue, you can see that when he has the ball he can't find a man nearby and loses it.

Did he use Enrique much last year? Is it because fewer players are showing for him?

Just trying to piece this fucking mess together....................

I think that's a part of it, there's only one player in the backline I'd pass the ball back to right now.

Guest CheickMansour

I still have complete faith in Tiote. When he gets match fit again, when he gets his sharpness back, he'll dominate. I honestly think it's his shitty pre-season (and possibly ramadan) that accounts for his poor performances. And let's not forget the loss of good 'outlets' in Enrique and Barton - when he gets the ball, he doesn't have the same quality of player to pass to. Raylor and Obertan don't match up, I'm afraid. Hopefully Marveux and Santon will.

Did he use Enrique much last year? Is it because fewer players are showing for him?

I think that's a part of it, there's only one player in the backline I'd pass the ball back to right now.

Was just thinking about it and seem to remember Enrique would occupy that middle of our own half position on the left side far more than Raylor, i.e; he was confident enough in his ability to move forward, push on and manage his winger.

Thinking back, I think his departure may have left a significant 'out' for Tiote.

Not excusing his shit form in other areas but this could be part of the problem.

Guest WashyGeordie

He didn't really have a good pre-season though did he? Aswell as us fucking his visa up to delay him even more, so he might just not be fit compared to the others.

There were moments when he looked like the player he did last year, and tonight there didn't seem to be any options on the left hand side at all until Marveaux came on (coincidentally that's when Tiote started to turn into a battering ram), so i just think he'll come into his own the more games he plays.

He didn't really have a good pre-season though did he? Aswell as us fucking his visa up to delay him even more, so he might just not be fit compared to the others.

There were moments when he looked like the player he did last year, and tonight there didn't seem to be any options on the left hand side at all until Marveaux came on (coincidentally that's when Tiote started to turn into a battering ram), so i just think he'll come into his own the more games he plays.

I think the fitness/ramadan arguments are exhausted now after a two week break.

Was just thinking about it and seem to remember Enrique would occupy that middle of our own half position on the left side far more than Raylor, i.e; he was confident enough in his ability to move forward, push on and manage his winger.

Thinking back, I think his departure may have left a significant 'out' for Tiote.

Not excusing his shit form in other areas but this could be part of the problem.

IIRC, Enrique made a huge number of completed passes when I checked him on the Guardian chalkboard last year. Losing a ball player like him was bound to hurt the players around him.

I still think it's just down to lack of game time preseason/new personnel/QPR not allowing any of our players time on the ball. He was much improved against Fulham compared to his previous performances, another game or two at that pace would've allowed him to get his eye back in. I fancy him to be much better against Villa and Blackburn.

His passing is a worry mind. He barely misplaced any last season but this year he's played the ball into thin air quite a few times.

It could be a poor pre-season. It could also be a touch of arrogance on Tiote's part, where he thinks he's too good to be playing a water-carrier role like last season.

Or it could be something to do with Pardew's coaching. He's been saying all along that he wants Tiote to do more with the ball, and if we wind the clock back a bit, Glenn Roeder did the same thing to Scott Parker after he initially had an excellent debut season for us...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He needs to stop trying to pirouette around a player twice before releasing the ball. Just fucking release it.

He used to be able to do it, and do it well. Opened up all new space for us. :(

He needs to stop trying to pirouette around a player twice before releasing the ball. Just f***ing release it.

He used to be able to do it, and do it well. Opened up all new space for us. :(

Yeah, and when he was on form doing it he looks the most assured player on the pitch, but this season I'm shitting it every time he picks it up on the edge of the box.