Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Think I posted this before, but I heard a rumour off two different people at the sunderland match about his weight.  The jist of both convoluted stories, was that he had come back to pre season training about a stone and a half overweight and took ages to even shift a few pounds, one even said the Ghana story was made up and he was away doing intense training to lose it  :mike:

Surely he played in pre season a bit though and didn't look like a porker?  He looked pretty ripped at the end of the game at the SoS TBH, no beer gut or owt.

He doesn't look as fit as last season and that's part of the reason for his poor form. I'm hoping once we get a better shape and system we'll see him getting better game by game. It's difficult to judge individuals when the team is playing such terrible long ball stuff.

Let's face it, being stuck in 3rd world countries is difficult for an athlete because the food over there doesn't have its caloric intake information on them. How the fuck are you meant to know how many calories are there in their breads?!! :dave:

Let's face it, being stuck in 3rd world countries is difficult for an athlete because the food over there doesn't have its caloric intake information on them. How the fuck are you meant to know how many calories are there in their breads?!! :dave:

Good point. I doubt you can get weightwatchers multi-seed wholegrain in Ghana. All is forgiven.

Tiote has been very poor by his standards of last season but I definitely think teams have started to wise up against him. Pressure him quicker and his passing is frankly shite. On the ball he looks very limited.

Tiote has been very poor by his standards of last season but I definitely think teams have started to wise up against him. Pressure him quicker and his passing is frankly shite. On the ball he looks very limited.

I think that's partly true, in that most teams have sussed his check and turn so opposition players are catching him in that now. But he definitely was still a decent passer last season in tight spaces. I think he'll get better within the next few games.

Tiote has been very poor by his standards of last season but I definitely think teams have started to wise up against him. Pressure him quicker and his passing is frankly s****. On the ball he looks very limited.

All players are poor under pressure, Tiote is no different.  He just seems off the pace at the moment, even passes under no pressure are going astray.  Having said that, in the last 15-20 minutes he showed some glimpses of last season's form.

Good point. I doubt you can get weightwatchers multi-seed wholegrain in Ghana. All is forgiven.

Wasn't even being serious...

I reckon he'll be back to his best once we start fielding our best players playing in a system that suits the likes of him, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, etc.

Wasn't even being serious...

I reckon he'll be back to his best once we start fielding our best players playing in a system that suits the likes of him, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, etc.

I know you weren't being serious, neither was I  :laugh:

Agree about him looking better once Pardew puts him in a better system. Same goes for Cabaye as well.

:huff:

There's no way Tiote was limited on the ball last season like, he was more than capable of turning into space and away from pressure last season, it's not like he's been surounded by 6-7 players this year or anything, he's just playing shite.

I expect he'll sort himself out, but if he doesn't soon then he needs dropping for a game or 2.

There's no way Tiote was limited on the ball last season like, he was more than capable of turning into space and away from pressure last season, it's not like he's been surounded by 6-7 players this year or anything, he's just playing s****.

I expect he'll sort himself out, but if he doesn't soon then he needs dropping for a game or 2.

i agree, he should be drop if he can't play well

There's absolute zero chemistry or understanding between him and Cabaye.

Probably understandable given the shambolic pre season.

Indeed, but there are really only one way that can be better, and that is for them to play together.

Preferably in a midfield threesome with another man!

Just need to gently steer people's Tiote frustrations towards the Sports Direct American Tour...

Oh, aye. Lot of branding was there?

/no, no there wasn't.

I think someone's forgetting here the purpose of this club.