Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I doubt Guthrie's going. People are just thinking we need to offload someone to make room for Tiote, which is probably completely untrue.

I think every nation should be known Internationally by what the nation calls itself tbh.

Do you mean we have to call Japan Nippon, or the real shit 日本国?

Or Saudi Arabia? Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah, ¨المملكة العربيّة السّعوديّة

If you mean the last one i can no longer go outside Europe, as i don`t know where the fuck i am going ;D

You'd call it Nippon as that would be how its pronounced. Countries would offer their name of country as they want it in all alphabets so it would be pronounced the same way no matter which alphabet it was in.

As Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah then?

Or call China Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó?

Lets go to Dawlat al-Imārāt al-‘Arabīyah al-Muttaḥidah, its United arab Emirated. :coolsmiley:

Pretty stupid tbf.

They call themselves a short version as well, Al Emarat, which isn't that hard for anyone to say.

Do you call China "The People's Republic of China" or Saudi Arabia "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" as well? No? Most nations have shortened names as well as the long official one, I for one don't call Norway "The Kingdom of Norway", but that's our official name. Still, most Norwegians call our country "Norge", no? Not "Kongeriket Norge"?

Now, it's not something that could be enforced given just how nudged into our minds the country names are in the languages we know. But not knowing we called China for China, I'd be more than happy to have called them Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó if that's what they were known as. Also, I'd imagine that if any such thing were actually enforced, which sadly it won't be, most nations would have a short version of whatever long name they might have that they would be happy with foreigners calling their nation.

All that said, I never said it should be enforced, because that would be impossible and obviously stupid. I'm just saying I'd prefer it if that were the way things had been done rather than "translating" names in the first place.

Most of this is not relevant.

What we discussed was if we should call it the original name or the international name.

Ok, Dawlat al-Imārāt al-‘Arabīyah al-Muttaḥidah call themselfs Al Emarat, but the rest of us call them United Arab Emirates,or more spesificly Dubay, Abu Dhabi etc.

When UAE people are doing business they call it United Arab Emirates. Its the common name for it.

My point is that these names are well reknown in the english speaking world.

No one call it The People's Republic of China, where do you get the idea i do that?

I dont know what the fuck Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó mean, if its their name for The People's Republic of China, how should i know?

Whats the short name for that ?

Everyone calls it China, everyone know where it is.

Are you annoyed that people here say Norway instead of Norge?

I dont give a shit, its the same country, it changes nothing.

Im not sure, but this seems like a waste of time, why change something that work, and have done for centuries.

Mods, please move this where ever you want, its nothing to do with our new best friend Cheick Tioté =)

I dont think anyone will go.

Gosling is out 'till November at least. I think Hughton see's Nolan as an attacking midfielder or second striker these days rather than a centre midfielder. Leaves us with 4 centre midfielders, one of which can cover out wide if worst comes to worst.

Guthrie is our only creative outlet in centre midfield, I really can't see Hughton letting him go. If anyone it'll be Smith, and I cant see him wanting to take a wage cut or anyone matching his wages.

What did Mcclaren say? The ginger barsteward...

FORMER England boss Steve McClaren has backed Cheick Ismael Tiote to be a big hit at Newcastle United.

The Ivory Coast international is set to complete a £3m switch to the club later this week, having agreed terms and passed a medical at St James's Park.

McClaren – Tiote's manager at Dutch title-winners FC Twente last season – is convinced the 24-year-old will be a success in the Premier League.

Tiote, a defensive midfielder, will compete with Alan Smith for a place in Chris Hughton's side.

And ex-Middlesbrough boss McClaren is confident his game will be suited to English football, having played a big part in his development at Twente.

"He was a very valuable member of my squad," McClaren told the Gazette.

"However, in the Dutch system of football, he didn't get as many games as he deserved, and he'll be more suited to Premier League football.

"He's a very strong and athletic player. He's a natural ball winner, and he'll acclimatise very well to the English game.

"He'll be a big favourite at Newcastle. He's a physical player, but also very fair.

"He's got a very good engine, and could prove to be a real hit at Newcastle.

"He'll be ideal for them, especially in away games when he can sit in front of the back four.

"He's technically very good, and can maybe make more of a contribution going forward than people would expect.

"I wish him all the best, and look forward to watching his progress at Newcastle, where I'm sure he'll do very well."

Tiote will become United's fourth summer signing when he gets a work permit on Thursday.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/McClaren-backs-Tiote-to-be.6491286.jp