Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I think every nation should be known Internationally by what the nation calls itself tbh.

Do you mean we have to call Japan Nippon, or the real shit 日本国?

Or Saudi Arabia? Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah, ¨المملكة العربيّة السّعوديّة

If you mean the last one i can no longer go outside Europe, as i don`t know where the fuck i am going ;D

You'd call it Nippon as that would be how its pronounced. Countries would offer their name of country as they want it in all alphabets so it would be pronounced the same way no matter which alphabet it was in.

I think every nation should be known Internationally by what the nation calls itself tbh.

Or Saudi Arabia? Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah, ¨المملكة العربيّة السّعوديّة

If you mean the last one i can no longer go outside Europe, as i don`t know where the fuck i am going ;D

You'd call it Nippon as that would be how its pronounced. Countries would offer their name of country as they want it in all alphabets so it would be pronounced the same way no matter which alphabet it was in.

As Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah then?

Or call China Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó?

Lets go to Dawlat al-Imārāt al-‘Arabīyah al-Muttaḥidah, its United arab Emirated. :coolsmiley:

Pretty stupid tbf.

Guest firetotheworks

:clap: I had a massive pet hates rant about this. I couldn't agree more.

Don't be insane man.

Not so easy for people in Saudi Arabia to learn the Korean word for South Korea and stuff like that though.

Corea is how they prefer to spell it and then it's dae han min some shit is how they pronounce it in South Korea.

Not so easy for people in Saudi Arabia to learn the Korean word for South Korea and stuff like that though.

Corea is how they prefer to spell it and then it's dae han min some shit is how they pronounce it in South Korea.

But Corea/Korea is the international name of it, Daehan-minguk is the local original name, who some people here wants us to use.

:doh:

Cheick Tioté going to be goood  :celb:

As Al Mamlakah al Arabiyah as Suudiyah then?

Or call China Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó?

Lets go to Dawlat al-Imārāt al-‘Arabīyah al-Muttaḥidah, its United arab Emirated. :coolsmiley:

Pretty stupid tbf.

They call themselves a short version as well, Al Emarat, which isn't that hard for anyone to say.

Do you call China "The People's Republic of China" or Saudi Arabia "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" as well? No? Most nations have shortened names as well as the long official one, I for one don't call Norway "The Kingdom of Norway", but that's our official name. Still, most Norwegians call our country "Norge", no? Not "Kongeriket Norge"?

Now, it's not something that could be enforced given just how nudged into our minds the country names are in the languages we know. But not knowing we called China for China, I'd be more than happy to have called them Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó if that's what they were known as. Also, I'd imagine that if any such thing were actually enforced, which sadly it won't be, most nations would have a short version of whatever long name they might have that they would be happy with foreigners calling their nation.

All that said, I never said it should be enforced, because that would be impossible and obviously stupid. I'm just saying I'd prefer it if that were the way things had been done rather than "translating" names in the first place.