Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

'I didn't need the manager to talk to me about my disciplinary record,' he said. 'I know that I have picked up too many yellow cards and that I have to be careful but it is my style and I cannot change.

'I need to be a lot more careful over some of the bookings that I pick up but I will not change my style of play. It will get better - it will get better.

'I have to forget about the sending off in the derby but that is difficult. Of course it hurt but it's over and I have to concentrate on how I can help the team moving forward. Now we have to qualify and I think we can reach the final of this competition.'

He's turned into a complete liability. Time to shift him on. Shit stupid bookings. Sent off and cost us almost certain victory v the Scum.

His distribution is also poor at best. And this is why I doubt very much that a top Club would consider buying him.

Who would, then? Can't see us selling him for less than £10m, and small clubs don't routinely pay that kind of brass. Also can't see him wanting to go to one.

Time for Pardew to make a stand on this issue though. If he's not learning, take him out of the side.

I feel some are being a bit harsh on Tiote, its how he plays and its that style of his that made us love him. Take away the fire in his game and he will be 50% the player he is now, we need him and as long as we have decent options when he is missing then I do not see the issue.. unless of course he gets more straight reds and keeps on leaving us with 10 men.

I know we often find ourselves saying it, but as I see it, that was never a yellow.

Agreed, it was never a yellow card. But like a lot of the time, he should know that refs will give them. He needs to be more careful but i can't see it changing now.

I actually thought he had a good game tonight.

I know we often find ourselves saying it, but as I see it, that was never a yellow.

Agreed, it was never a yellow card. But like a lot of the time, he should know that refs will give them. He needs to be more careful but i can't see it changing now.

He has had a lot of very harsh bookings, reputation more than anything.

It's the type you see in every other game though. Why give the referee that decision to make in the first place? Opposition was going absolutely nowhere. Dunno if it's a pride thing, where he feels he has to win every single duel. Whilst that's an admirable attitude in principle, he needs to be a lot more realistic about it.

I still love the guy as a player and actually feel the rest of his game is in danger of being underrated, but his disciplinary record is getting ridiculous now.

It's the type you see in every other game though. Why give the referee that decision to make in the first place? Opposition was going absolutely nowhere. Dunno if it's a pride thing, where he feels he has to win every single duel. Whilst that's an admirable attitude in principle, he needs to be a lot more realistic about it.

I still love the guy as a player and actually feel the rest of his game is in danger of being underrated, but his disciplinary record is getting ridiculous now.

That's spot on.

Well I'd hope that teams would only remember the good Tiote and the not the ones he's turning into. Money doesn't matter for Chelsea or Man City anyway.

Not this again. There's more chance of Taylor joining one of those clubs.

Guest GeordieAce

Really needs to address his disciplinary record. Someone on Facebook said he has received 31 bookings in 61 games. If that's true, it's absolutely abysmal.

Really needs to address his disciplinary record. Someone on Facebook said he has received 31 bookings in 61 games. If that's true, it's absolutely abysmal.

It's about 1 in 2, aye.  Starting to get seriously annoying now.  If he's not injured, he's racking up yellows for his next suspension, or is actually suspended.  You can say what you like about being a naturally aggressive player but that doesn't explain playing like a total moron.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tiote's game has regressed due to the style of football we now play and his role in that type of game. Under Hughton where we played better football he excelled and become such a top player not only for us but in general. Today he looks a shadow of that player. Mind fitness is a concern and he does need to cut out the silly fouls. Those who would be willing to see him sold though.... wouldn't know a player if they got smacked in the face off one. Fuck me, Tiote is a huge player for us and easily one of our better players. Not top 4 material quite but NUFC standard? Well... I suppose we could always try to get Smith back!!!