Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He's always played on edge but he pushes it too far nowadays. When he first arrived at the club he was a more conservative player and wouldn't try to dribble as much - he always played very simple passes and was getting pass completion stats in the high 90s. Now he attempts too many hollywood passes.

He's always been a bit of a bull in a china shop off the ball but i honestly don't mind that - it's his weaknesses on the ball that make him look poor. Needs a strong manager to tell him to play it simple, and to be placed in a team where he has options and is comfortable playing one-touch football.

He's always played on edge but he pushes it too far nowadays. When he first arrived at the club he was a more conservative player and wouldn't try to dribble as much - he always played very simple passes and was getting pass completion stats in the high 90s. Now he attempts too many hollywood passes.

He's always been a bit of a bull in a china shop off the ball but i honestly don't mind that - it's his weaknesses on the ball that make him look poor. Needs a strong manager to tell him to play it simple, and to be placed in a team where he has options and is comfortable playing one-touch football.

After we smashed West Ham 5-0, I remember being baffled by Pardew saying something like "we want to see more of Cheik going forward."

Not something else we can blame Pards for surely!? :lol:

He's not playing a style of game that suits him at the moment IMO.

Obviously he deserves some criticism for his performances and I'm not trying to absolve him completely but I think he'd look much better if (like so many of our players) he was being used better.

He seems to be getting used as an all action, box-to-box midfielder and personally I don't think it's his game at all. For me he should be told to sit in front of the CB's pretty much from the start of the game until the end as a pure defensive midfielder. When the ball comes his way he should look for a quick, simple pass. He's an absolutely fantastic defensive presence in the center of the field, but at times he's a liability when we have the ball. Gets caught in possession far too much, and his passing is very poor.

It reminds me of Scott Parker under Roeder. Was a very good defensive midfielder for us, but once we started trying to get more out of him his performances regressed. Same thing happening is happening with Tiote IMO.

What's even more frustrating is that having a player like Tiote in the holding role should have allowed Cabaye to play a much more advanced position when we did go 4-4-2. Give Cabaye freedom to get around the park knowing that Tiote is protecting the defense, it'd have made both of them look a lot better.

Think he and Anita could be a good pairing in a 4-2-3-1, Tiote doing the defensive work and Anita starting attacks from deep. Real pity Cabaye is out and that the 4-4-2 formation was ever invented.

He's not playing a style of game that suits him at the moment IMO.

Obviously he deserves some criticism for his performances and I'm not trying to absolve him completely but I think he'd look much better if (like so many of our players) he was being used better.

He seems to be getting used as an all action, box-to-box midfielder and personally I don't think it's his game at all. For me he should be told to sit in front of the CB's pretty much from the start of the game until the end as a pure defensive midfielder. When the ball comes his way he should look for a quick, simple pass. He's an absolutely fantastic defensive presence in the center of the field, but at times he's a liability when we have the ball. Gets caught in possession far too much, and his passing is very poor.

It reminds me of Scott Parker under Roeder. Was a very good defensive midfielder for us, but once we started trying to get more out of him his performances regressed. Same thing happening is happening with Tiote IMO.

What's even more frustrating is that having a player like Tiote in the holding role should have allowed Cabaye to play a much more advanced position when we did go 4-4-2. Give Cabaye freedom to get around the park knowing that Tiote is protecting the defense, it'd have made both of them look a lot better.

Think he and Anita could be a good pairing in a 4-2-3-1, Tiote doing the defensive work and Anita starting attacks from deep. Real pity Cabaye is out and that the 4-4-2 formation was ever invented.

There's literally no reason at all that we can't play Marveaux in the Cabaye role, though.

Thats the real problem at the moment. A few players get injured and Pardew panicks and changes the whole system. It should be as seamless as possible with Marveaux slotting into that position and the shape staying the same.

don't care if Giggs, but thought this was a rare good read from fourfourtwo. Needs to be sorted asap.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/statszone/archive/2012/11/26/newcastle-failing-because-tiote-s-passing-statistics-don-t-cheik-out.aspx

This is largely not his personal fault. He's basically our playmaker at this point. We all saw it coming, Tiote would receive the ball more and he would be forced to attempt hollywood balls because the strikers are so far away and he'll be the only one to try and make something happen.

He's not being told to keep it simple and his long passes is him trying to push the game.

I don't mind the box-to-box aspect. He's a powerhouse and always shows for the ball but he should be told and have the option to keep it simple. You want him to flex on the opposition but keep it simple when he's on the ball.

Agree with the Parker comparison. Roeder thought he was our Stevie G and Parker was never that. Furthermore, Parker like Tiote doesn't hide in football matches therefore he's very visible for criticism. If Tiote is the destroyer, creator and engine what does Jonas do?

from the youtube videos of Anita he's the most pure DM we have. Anita the Dm, Tiote box to box, Cabaye with more attacking intent. imo.

Thing is Tiote doesn't give the ball away due to hollywood passes he gives the ball away through simple 2 yard sideways passes.

It's the simple shit he's struggling with.

I also don't believe he would be successful as a box to box. ( i would actually have more faith in Jonas in that role)

If we want to use Anita as DM, Cabaye with more attacking intent then i think we need to buy a box to box midfielder as we don't really have any.

I don't think you need a box-to-box midfielder TBH. If you have a good DM platform and a good playmaker (Cabaye), along with HBA, you're OK.

Most people want 3 in midfield no? then surely we would need a link between the DM and Cabaye.... whether that's a box to box midfielder linking through his runs or a playmaker linking through with his passes.

I do feel the midfield needs a complete overhaul, also not convinced Tiote and Anita can work long term.

Thing is Tiote doesn't give the ball away due to hollywood passes

don't agree with this like. Have a read of that fourfourtwo article. It highlights how he's playing loads more long passes than he used to and his accuracy is shocking.

Honestly i was basing that on recent weeks not on the season as a whole.... recent game's i have seen him give the ball away with simple 2 yard passes more often than hollywood passes.

I won't deny he has done overall this season though, he use to play it simple and was very accurate in past seasons but this season he can't even do that.

To think we supposedly turned down 15m+ offers for him :yao:

Thing is Tiote doesn't give the ball away due to hollywood passes he gives the ball away through simple 2 yard sideways passes.

It's the simple shit he's struggling with.

I also don't believe he would be successful as a box to box. ( i would actually have more faith in Jonas in that role)

If we want to use Anita as DM, Cabaye with more attacking intent then i think we need to buy a box to box midfielder as we don't really have any.

Sissoko, Sissoko, Sissoko!

It's the simple s*** he's struggling with.

Sissoko, Sissoko, Sissoko!

Indeed lol but at the moment i don't even trust the board to get that over the line :lol:

If they want to play a decent game on the ground, I don't think a team has room for a defensive midfielder as such in a 4-4-2 unless the other three are really outstanding attackers.

That's the thing. We're essentially playing 2 defensive midfielders if Jonas and Tiote are in there. One of which can't really defend much.

If they want to play a decent game on the ground, I don't think a team has room for a defensive midfielder as such in a 4-4-2 unless the other three are really outstanding attackers.

That's the thing. We're essentially playing 2 defensive midfielders if Jonas and Tiote are in there. One of which can't really defend much.

more annoyingly neither can attack much. It's like stoke's central midfielders, really not there to do much.

:thup: