Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest firetotheworks

Forget all of the off-field stuff. On the field is beyond excuses. He's at the very least not at the level we need him to be and a liability. His passing is shocking, his tackling reckless and his shooting pointless.

Weirdly it reminds me in a way of how Palacios and De Jong were seen as brilliant players for a little bit at Spurs and Man City and then the players around them got better and they looked out of place. Anita suits the rest of this team now, not Tiote.

His passing was a noticeable improvement on Perch IMO, and all but one tackle were fine too. He's still miles from his best but I think the criticism is OTT.

:thup:

Was really pissed off with his yellow and was a bit too committed in a couple of his challenges but he done more good than bad tonight imo. I have been massively down on him this season too.

Guest firetotheworks

His passing was a noticeable improvement on Perch IMO, and all but one tackle were fine too. He's still miles from his best but I think the criticism is OTT.

I really don't. I'd hold my hands up if someone sat me down and showed me Tiote's passing and Perch's passing side by side, but I notice Tiote losing the ball a lot more than Perch, especially in circumstances where it's needless.

I don't by any means think that Perch is the answer and he's a limited player, but he plays within his means and knows his limits. Tiote plays like he can play balls through the organs of the opposition and it's fucking mindless. Perch isn't exactly intelligent, but Tiote is fucking stupid.

Guest neesy111

I thought he was OK which was better than usual BUT again a fucking idiot getting booked like that, the bloke at times doesn't think.

I really don't. I'd hold my hands up if someone sat me down and showed me Tiote's passing and Perch's passing side by side, but I notice Tiote losing the ball a lot more than Perch, especially in circumstances where it's needless.

I don't by any means think that Perch is the answer and he's a limited player, but he plays within his means and knows his limits. Tiote plays like he can play balls through the organs of the opposition and it's f***ing mindless. Perch isn't exactly intelligent, but Tiote is f***ing stupid.

Would agree 100% with this post.

As I said in the other thread, I think Tiote can get back to a point where his general play is acceptable again pretty sharpish now that he's surrounded by better players and we're in better form, however I'm not sure that him playing like an idiot will be so quickly reversible.  So that's the daft fouls, the needless booking every game, the dawdling on the ball, basically doing anything other than passing the ball quickly and simply when he has it and (calmly) pressuring for it when he hasn't.  That's his only role and if he's not doing it adequately then we can do better, whether within the squad or by replacing him in the summer.

Guest firetotheworks

Tiote's passing is fucking woeful this season man. If it's not simple and it's not backwards or to the side, he'll find a way to fuck it up.

Did alright. Think I may have been overly harsh on that tackle, looked a sending off to me, apparently he touched the ball, I didn't see it. Anyway it's a risky tackle to make, on a yellow that's dangerous and the way the ref was paid off I'm surprised he didn't go for it.

General all round play was average, in a more aggressive and fast paced game I doubt he'd have stayed on the pitch, I've no confidence in him in that respect, can't believe Pardew has either.

Did alright. Think I may have been overly harsh on that tackle, looked a sending off to me, apparently he touched the ball, I didn't see it. Anyway it's a risky tackle to make, on a yellow that's dangerous and the way the ref was paid off I'm surprised he didn't go for it.

General all round play was average, in a more aggressive and fast paced game I doubt he'd have stayed on the pitch, I've no confidence in him in that respect, can't believe Pardew has either.

The tackle he got booked for was right beneath me and I didn't think he touched the ball, was a cynical foul to stop them breaking clear and was a definite card.

I don't like to keep bringing up stats, but I feel it's necessary here. Perch certainly keeps hold of the ball a lot better than Tioté.

Perch:

Pass completion this season - 88.8%

Dispossessed per game - 0.3

Turnovers per game - 0.4

Key passes per game - 0.5

Tioté:

Pass completion - 83.6%

Dispossessed per game - 1.6

Turnovers per game - 1

Key Passes per game - 0.6

I'm not saying Perch is a better/more effective player here, but he keeps the ball a lot better than Tioté does. Perch has played a few games at centre half, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Tiote is lost when has possession. He holds it, panics and if it doesn't go backwards to Krul then he losses by either a weak pass or by being challenged off it.

He goes in like a bulldog when he doesn't have the ball, I'm sorry but it's not acceptable, I'd rather have Perch in his place though I think Anita is more deserving.

I don't like to keep bringing up stats, but I feel it's necessary here. Perch certainly keeps hold of the ball a lot better than Tioté.

Perch:

Turnovers per game - 0.4

Tioté:

Pass completion - 83.6%

Turnovers per game - 1

I'm not saying Perch is a better/more effective player here, but he keeps the ball a lot better than Tioté does. Perch has played a few games at centre half, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

How many passes does Tiote make per game? People say his passes are simple, backwards and square. I'd like to see the distance compared to Perch.

I'm certain Tiote makes more passes than  Perch and they're more ambitious.

The tackle he got booked for was right beneath me and I didn't think he touched the ball, was a cynical foul to stop them breaking clear and was a definite card.

He did touch the ball though, that's actually a fact :lol:

Great tackle.

Perch:

Turnovers per game - 0.4

Tioté:

Pass completion - 83.6%

Turnovers per game - 1

How many passes does Tiote make per game? People say his passes are simple, backwards and square. I'd like to see the distance compared to Perch.

I'm certain Tiote makes more passes than  Perch and they're more ambitious.

That in itself is probably a weakness for him.

Tiote plays Hollywood balls and it's all "I wish he would keep it simple and do what he's good at", he keeps it simple and does what he's good at and "he's playing it too simple and he's been booked, he shouldn't be tackling any more".

I agree that in games like that at home Anita should be ahead of him like.

Tiote plays Hollywood balls and it's all "I wish he would keep it simple and do what he's good at", he keeps it simple and does what he's good at and "he's playing it too simple and he's been booked, he shouldn't be tackling any more".

I agree that in games like that at home Anita should be ahead of him like.

Same here. I'm just not convinced Pardew could get it to work.

Just had a look a Stats Zone. Perch rarely makes more than 30-45 passes. Tiote is 50-65 game-in-game-out. Always has more successful passes than Perch to go with his higher pass failure rate.Nearly all of Perch's passes are backwards and very short.

I've always said Tiote gets criticised for not hiding and trying to make things happen.

I do agree Anita would've been better y'day but Tiote had a decent game.