Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Yanga

Doesn't strike me as the smartest bloke...

Shame, though. We really need him to get his head down, have a good preseason and hit the ground running come August. On his day he's one of our most effective players - we'll need him to be at the top of his game if Cabaye goes.

Can somebody please explain this to me. Why would he need a fake ID in the first place?

So he could use his EU driving licence and not have to pass a test within 12 months on an international licence. Hence the motoring offences on the back of the forged documentation. Just my guess mind.

Plod in the UK will be streets ahead of anything his part of Africa could offer. Makes you wonder how the Club allowed this to get as far as it did.

I've said this before and I will say it again, the Premier League and PFA need to get a proper grip on driving offences.

Large fines or match suspensions. Look at the drop in players suddenly getting done for driving offences.

I've said this before and I will say it again, the Premier League and PFA need to get a proper grip on driving offences.

Large fines or match suspensions. Look at the drop in players suddenly getting done for driving offences.

Got to say its a good idea. Their fines never match up and considering how much money they get so young allowing them access to stupidly fast cars then more should be done to punish them.

Got to say its a good idea. Their fines never match up and considering how much money they get so young allowing them access to stupidly fast cars then more should be done to punish them.

Different interpretations of the law for different incomes is a rubbish idea tbh.

Different interpretations of the law for different incomes is a rubbish idea tbh.

Not when footballers can employ the best lawyers to get them off it isn't.

Ah you see you missed the part where no one said the law would change, but in fact the FA should imply their own sanctions, which are laws of the game, not las which applies to the general public. Have a think on that then get back to us.

Magpies midfielder vows to improve

Tiote can't imagine a season like the last one

By Brian Lofrumento | 26th June 2013

Newcastle midfielder Cheik Tiote is already looking forward to the new season, promising fans that the club’s players are ready to work to improve. After an impressive few seasons back in the Premier League, the Magpies struggled last year, finding themselves avoiding relegation by just five points at the end of the season.

Alan Pardew has quietly put together one of the deepest squads in the league, but will be looking to his players to step up their performances this season to avoid the relegation battle that they were sucked into last season. Tiote, a tenacious midfielder who has attracted attention from bigger clubs in the past, is certain that the players will hit preseason training hard in a bid to improve.

No European distractions

Tiote pointed towards the strains of the Europa League when remembering last season’s struggles, so fans will at least be able to take solace in the fact that Pardew and his side won’t be distracted by European competition this season.

“Last season was not the best for Newcastle,” he told Newcastle’s official website. “It was a hard season in the Europa League and the Premier League but we’ve had some time off to rest now.

“It was really difficult for all the team but when you see the season, the most important thing was just to stay in the Premer League.

“That’s what we did and now we need to prepare and be ready for the next season.

“When we look at last season, we cannot imagine to have the same season as this next year so I think it will be better.”

Newcastle open their new Premier League campaign against the new look Manchester City before playing host to West Ham United and Fulham. Supporters will be expecting at least six points from the club’s opening three fixtures, which would lay a foundation for a solid run in the top half of the table.

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2013/06/26/magpies-midfielder-vows-to-improve/

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-23241480

Newcastle United's Cheick Tiote 'to deny' fraud and driving charges

Newcastle United footballer Cheick Tiote is to deny five charges including using a false identity document and fraud, his lawyer has told a court.

The midfielder, 27, was stopped by police on 12 February near the club's training ground on suspicion of fraud in relation to driving offences.

The Ivory Coast star is accused of using a fake Belgian driving licence in a bid to obtain a UK licence.

Newcastle Crown Court heard he would contest the charges at a trial.

Mr Tiote's barrister Robert Adams told the Recorder of Newcastle James Goss QC the French-speaking player would need an interpreter when the trial took place in October.

Mark Giuliani, prosecuting, said: "I understand that the matter will be contested and that a trial date in October would be convenient to the parties."

It will take an estimated three days.

Mr Tiote, who has not entered pleas, will do so formally at a hearing on 6 September. He was granted bail in the meantime.

Mr Tiote, who lives in Jesmond, Newcastle, faces the following charges:

Fraud by false representation in that in December he had a genuine Belgian driving licence, to get a UK licence.

Possessing an ID document "that was false and that you knew or believed was false, namely a Belgian driving licence with the intention of using the document to establish personal information about you".

Making a false statement to obtain insurance in September 2011.

Driving a Chevrolet without a licence in February.

Driving the Chevrolet without third party insurance on the same date.

Born in the Ivory Coast, he moved to Belgian club Anderlecht in 2005 and then played for Dutch side FC Twente before signing for Newcastle in 2010.

Pretty unusual I'd say.

Alan Pardew has handed Cheick Tiote a major vote of confidence by insisting he will be one of the main men for Newcastle United this season.

The Ivory Coast warrior put his hands up and admitted that he’d suffered his worse form last season since joining the Magpies in 2010.

Tiote has spent his summer contesting a string of driving offences but is set to start pre-season training this week after being given extra time off following international duties.

Now Pardew has backed Tiote to come back bigger and stronger for last term’s experiences. The Newcastle boss told the Chronicle: “All players have disappointing seasons.

“Unfortunately for us, Cheick’s coincided with us having a disappointing season as well, which probably didn’t help him.”

Tiote was a revelation in his first season after signing for the Magpies from FC Twente.

Spotted by chief scout Graham Carr, Tiote quickly adapted to the cut and thrust of the Premier League world.

He helped United to a fifth place finish in 2012. However, his form tumbled last season and a red card in the Tyne-Wear derby was among several low points in his Toon career.

Yet Pardew firmly believes he can get back to the player who bossed midfield battles and caught the attention of Sir Alex Ferguson, who was keen on signing the player for Manchester United just 18 months ago.

Pardew said: “He had such a fantastic season the year before.

“You don’t become a bad player overnight.

“It’s about confidence, and getting him back to where he was.”

At 27, and after three years in the Premier League, Tiote is now one of the elder statesmen in the United dressing room.

He has clocked 83 appearances for the Magpies in that time and will be looking to smash through his century of appearances.

His only goal remains his wonder strike against Arsenal in 2011 which sealed a 4-4 draw.

Tiote still has four years left on his contract and Pardew is delighted to have him in the ranks.

Pardew said: “He’s a fantastic character around this building.

“If he’d had another year like he did when we finished fifth, he probably would be gone.

“So who knows, that might work in our favour this year given the fact he’s still here.”

Pardew puts too much faith in 'good characters' hence his love of Shola Jonas and Tiote. I want us to sign 'good people as well as good players' as someone put it but there's a lack of ruthlessness there.

I still had faith in him after his second season when he was mixed, had poor games but also ones he bossed. This last season had a few good games but mainly just gave ball away and conceded way too many free kicks in dangerous positions. He's going downhill, and I hope he can regain some form, but the club should be looking for other options.

Very unfair putting Tiote alongside those  two

Tiote was average last year BUT at his best he offers a lot more than Shola and Jonas, the question remains whether Tiote will show his first season form

Average? He had about 3 good games all season.

Tiote was average last year BUT at his best he offers a lot more than Shola and Jonas, the question remains whether Tiote will show his first season form

Okay he was poor BUT the point remains, he is a far better player than Shola/Jonas

Guest bimpy474

Okay he was poor BUT the point remains, he is a far better player than Shola/Jonas

Bit like comparing which turd smells the worst though.

“If he’d had another year like he did when we finished fifth, he probably would be gone.

“So who knows, that might work in our favour this year given the fact he’s still here.”

What a pathetically small-time attitude.