Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest bimpy474

Shouldn't we play the two which suit certain games, Saylor if there's threat from a certain forward line, and say Mapou if another forward has pace and not so much threat in the air.

I've seldom seen John Terry play on the right side of CB for Chelsea. If he has to come across he will. But even if someone's causing him trouble with pace he doesn't swap sides. 

Likewise Colo has his side and I rarely see him move because he has been exposed. It's dead easy for the striker to continually attack his side anyway. 

Shouldn't we play the two which suit certain games, Saylor if there's threat from a certain forward line, and say Mapou if another forward has pace and not so much threat in the air.

That would have made sense to me like, but apparently we know fuck all.

Honestly some of you guys are really showing your lack of intelligence. At least when it comes to football.

Like any type of defence. You are drilled to keep position. CB's generally always play on the same side in defence.  Whether its RCB or LCB. Constantly swapping would just cause confusion.  Secondly, clearly swapping CB's in-play would leave massive gaps in defence and another man free. 

The point is - Sunderland clearly picked out Mapou as the weak one. The same way Pardew thought Shola could get change out of Evans physically and in the air and that Ba had enough about him to go toe-to-toe with Ferdinand. That wasn't a lucky accident.

So if we were playing against Andy Carroll and he decided he was going to take up position on Mbiwa's side of the pitch, we'd just shrug our shoulders and say "that's a bummer"?

Bit of a difference between Andy Carroll and Danny Graham, like. I've never seen Graham dominate anyone the way he dominated MYM.

In what way did Graham dominate MYM? In what manner would you describe it?

IMO CB is the most part partnership orientated area of the pitch.  In CM or attack different partnerships work for different scenarios but not with CB. It's because organisation, regiment and understanding is So important at the back.

I remember last season Wenger brought Vermaelen back at CB for one game as the opposition had a lot of pace. Arsenal looked a mess. We get brought Mertesacker Back in with Koscielny against every opponent and they where much better. The strength of the partnership was stronger than any individual weaknesses.

No coincidence out best run at the back happened when we put the and Back 5 out consistently.

I know Mapou's fast. But everything else you've mentioned - I'm not sure about. I haven't seen it. Like intelligence, he has lapses in concentration that result in sloppy passes.

The only games he impressed in, he was away from the heat at FB.

He looks a tidy footballer and he has a bit of pace. Same thing with Santon, aye that's good and all but are they good natural defenders? I know Santon isn't and he can improve. I'm looking to see some real natural defensive ability from Mapou.

That's such bullshit, man :lol: He had his poor games, but he also had performances that made it easy to see why he's rated so highly. Just look in his thread after some of the early performances, nothing but compliments for his anticipation and marking.

Guest bimpy474

That would have made sense to me like, but apparently we know fuck all.

There is a certain lack of middle ground on a lot things on here like :lol:

IMO CB is the most part partnership orientated area of the pitch.  In CM or attack different partnerships work for different scenarios but not with CB. It's because organisation, regiment and understanding is So important at the back.

I remember last season Wenger brought Vermaelen back at CB for one game as the opposition had a lot of pace. Arsenal looked a mess. We get brought Mertesacker Back in with Koscielny against every opponent and they where much better. The strength of the partnership was stronger than any individual weaknesses.

No coincidence out best run at the back happened when we put the and Back 5 out consistently.

We?

Would rather Bigi started 25 games this season than Tiote tbh. At least the mistakes he'll make, he will learn from.

Agree entirely. Has he featured once in pre-season?

Don't think so. Neither has Haidara I believe?

It's not about the physicality but the collective defensive effort in the right areas of the pitch.

If the lack of physicality is a problem with Sissoko/Anita/Cabaye, I'd rather we learnt to press like a team than rely on 6'4 players to stop the opposition. One of the main defensive problems was our inability to press collectively, the most obvious and rewarding trend in world football over the past few years is defending by well organised and energetic pressing in the right areas. We left everyone to themselves and backed off far too much when the opposition won the ball last season.

I know it's a cliche to bring up Dortmund as an example in these times, but their pressing allows them to create havoc in the opposition half and stop attacks before they even have a chance to develop. Their midfield usually consists of Gündogan/Sahin/Kehl/Bender sitting behind a far more offensively minded player than Cabaye. I'm not arguing for us to transform into Dortmund, but their tactical approach in terms of pressing is generations ahead of ours. We could benefit from learning from them instead of shoehorning Tioté in there to "get a tackle on the pitch".

Guest bimpy474

Would rather Bigi started 25 games this season than Tiote tbh. At least the mistakes he'll make, he will learn from.

Agree entirely. Has he featured once in pre-season?

Played in one of the Portugal games i think.

We've had our best matches when we've pressed well and high up the pitch. I remember that Stoke away or Man Utd home the 5th place season and even Gary Neville was speaking so highly of how we executed the team/organized press to perfection.

We've had our best matches when we've pressed well and high up the pitch. I remember that Stoke away or Man Utd home the 5th place season and even Gary Neville was speaking so highly of how we executed the team/organized press to perfection.

Another thing we have gone away from, you have to question why really.

Guest Phil K

Looks like an african buzz lightyear

He looks cattle trucked. Hard sport that, paintball ?

Not a spot on him, so they hadn't started yet or he's VERY good at it ?