Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest bimpy474

His first touch at times just upsets me.

It's the blind passes when he's front of the defence that made me want to punch a samll bloke.

The fall from grace that Tiote has gone through is one of Pardew's biggest failings here, he's the absolute epitome of a player that has been ruined by clueless management and coaching. He was never a great player, but he was good ("effective" might be a better word) in his first two seasons at keeping things basic in possession and being a bully and a nuisance when we were in defensive transition. He complimented the players around him well, particularly Nolan who was allowed to break into the box knowing he had cover, and provided a decent layer of protection. The modern Tiote is fucking miles away from that. This evolution into a "dynamic" midfielder has exposed all of his weaknesses and nullified all of his strengths. He will never, ever get back to his old self unless a manager is strong enough to explain to him, in no uncertain terms, that he's basically absolutely fucking wank at pretty much anything that involves being a footballer. He needs to be banned from shooting and making any kind of pass or manoeuvre that has even the slightest risk of danger... Pardew doesn't seem to see it though, unfortunately.

He did well mostly, a couple of times he was caught in possession with absolutely no passing options, but his tackling and general short passing was better.

Yip - in the first half in particular some good one touch stuff in tight situations.  It's the positional stuff that gets me.  For a team with a dedicated DM we never seem to have one in the right place...

The fall from grace that Tiote has gone through is one of Pardew's biggest failings here, he's the absolute epitome of a player that has been ruined by clueless management and coaching. He was never a great player, but he was good ("effective" might be a better word) in his first two seasons at keeping things basic in possession and being a bully and a nuisance when we were in defensive transition. He complimented the players around him well, particularly Nolan who was allowed to break into the box knowing he had cover, and provided a decent layer of protection. The modern Tiote is fucking miles away from that. This evolution into a "dynamic" midfielder has exposed all of his weaknesses and nullified all of his strengths. He will never, ever get back to his old self unless a manager is strong enough to explain to him, in no uncertain terms, that he's basically absolutely fucking wank at pretty much anything that involves being a footballer. He needs to be banned from shooting and making any kind of pass or manoeuvre that has even the slightest risk of danger... Pardew doesn't seem to see it though, unfortunately.

Been saying the for far too long now, and it slips further away under Pardew.

Worst thing about Cabaye leaving if there is no replacement is that this f***er will likely start every game he's available for. Needs to sort himself out sharp.

If it was up to me even if Cabaye leaves i still wouldn't play him.

Anita-Sissoko-Marveaux, you say its weak defensively but we are weak as f*ck defensively anyway so might as well pick a team that can do something with the ball.

Its not ideal but it will do.

He did well mostly, a couple of times he was caught in possession with absolutely no passing options, but his tackling and general short passing was better.

Agree, wasn't that bad today overall. Few moments of dodgy play, but on the whole when he kept it short he was pretty tidy. As others have said he just tries to do to much, he should sit back and let others create. I expect him to have a better season this year.

For a DM, he left Silva in acres in our box for the first goal. They were lucky that the ball ballooned up to him (off yet another Taylor hand) with Krul committed, but a simply rolled pullback would have similarly bypassed Tiote and put Silva in on the keeper.