Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

I think he is brilliant on the ball personally, couple of untidy moments today but out of anyone in the squad I would trust him to come out of a tight situation with the ball.

He really is immense and calm and I also notice he likes the odd forward sortie which might result in 2/3 goals a season once he settles.

I think he is brilliant on the ball personally, couple of untidy moments today but out of anyone in the squad I would trust him to come out of a tight situation with the ball.

He really is immense and calm and I also notice he likes the odd forward sortie which might result in 2/3 goals a season once he settles.

He got forward quite a bit at the World Cup.

I agree that Tiote is our most important player. Not saying he's the best in terms of ability, but he's easily most important. The role he plays is as absolutely needed, and if we lose him, like others have said, it's back to Smith, and that says it all. He takes so much pressure off others in the team and we're just so much more comfortable with him here. Amazing.

Article about Tiote. The difference between him and Smith could really be the difference for us this season.

Signing of the season shows Chris Hughton's class

24 year old Cheick Tiote has brought what Alan Smith simply wasn't able to bring to Newcastle and it's turned them into a team who can rightly push for a top half of the table finish, not just avoiding relegation in the first season up.

Newcastle's two central defenders Mike Williamson and Fabricio Coloccini are both confident at dealing with balls in the air, but both remain a little slow and on occasion susceptible when the ball is on the ground and they have players running at them.

Whereas the striker turned midfielder Alan Smith couldn't dominate the area in front of his defence, too often leaving the centre backs exposed and vulnerable, Tiote now more than dominates that area of the pitch, to such an extent that Chris Hughton was even able against Sunderland to move Joey Barton to the right and to play two upfront, without fear of being overun by Jordan Henderson and Lee Cattermole in the middle of the pitch.

Tiote's old manager at FC Twente, the club Newcastle signed him from for £3.5 million, was former England manager Steve McClaren, who's words about his former midfielder said back in August now seem to have been proved correct; 'Now he will be even more suited to Premier League football. He's a very strong and athletic player. He's a natural ball winner, and he'll acclimatise very well to the English game.'

It is a perfect example of a manager choosing to spend a fairly small amount of money which he has at his disposal on a player who is so perfect for his team that the whole team instantly improves vastly. Buys like Cheick Tiote show Hughton's managerial sense and his awareness in the transfer market, proving that he is more than just a coach or an assistant manager there just to motivate the players, like some fans were saying in criticism when he first became manager.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219402#ixzz140oqarwS

To play as well as he did yesterday after a 7th minute booking was amazing - very difficult to do in his role - but achieved with great intelligence and maturity.

Compare that to the idiot Cattermole playing CM for them.

Bruce should be fired just for spending so much money on him and then giving him the captain's job on top. Unbelievable.

They had players better suited to yesterday's game on the bench and even out on loan.

Well done special agent Bruce.

Absolutely superb. Brilliant reading off the game and taking up the right position. Allows Nolan to get forward to do his thing. Had a nice cheeky little run down the wing at one point too. Love this guy. Immense.

Article about Tiote. The difference between him and Smith could really be the difference for us this season.

Signing of the season shows Chris Hughton's class

24 year old Cheick Tiote has brought what Alan Smith simply wasn't able to bring to Newcastle and it's turned them into a team who can rightly push for a top half of the table finish, not just avoiding relegation in the first season up.

Newcastle's two central defenders Mike Williamson and Fabricio Coloccini are both confident at dealing with balls in the air, but both remain a little slow and on occasion susceptible when the ball is on the ground and they have players running at them.

Whereas the striker turned midfielder Alan Smith couldn't dominate the area in front of his defence, too often leaving the centre backs exposed and vulnerable, Tiote now more than dominates that area of the pitch, to such an extent that Chris Hughton was even able against Sunderland to move Joey Barton to the right and to play two upfront, without fear of being overun by Jordan Henderson and Lee Cattermole in the middle of the pitch.

Tiote's old manager at FC Twente, the club Newcastle signed him from for £3.5 million, was former England manager Steve McClaren, who's words about his former midfielder said back in August now seem to have been proved correct; 'Now he will be even more suited to Premier League football. He's a very strong and athletic player. He's a natural ball winner, and he'll acclimatise very well to the English game.'

It is a perfect example of a manager choosing to spend a fairly small amount of money which he has at his disposal on a player who is so perfect for his team that the whole team instantly improves vastly. Buys like Cheick Tiote show Hughton's managerial sense and his awareness in the transfer market, proving that he is more than just a coach or an assistant manager there just to motivate the players, like some fans were saying in criticism when he first became manager.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219402#ixzz140oqarwS

Spot on. Who knows what this club could have achieved if we'd managed to sign this type of player a few years ago.

We've all been desperate for someone to shield our exposed defence for years, we've finally got on.

He's not like a human footballer really, he's like some sort of holding midfield cyborg or genetically-engineering superhuman, specifically built for the purpose.

:tiote:

Absolutely superb. Brilliant reading off the game and taking up the right position. Allows Nolan to get forward to do his thing. Had a nice cheeky little run down the wing at one point too. Love this guy. Immense.

I loved that bit too.  The only negative point I've got to say about him, it's reluntancy to have a pop at goal when he's about 20 yards out and has the opportunity to.  But his overall game was great and never got any of the plaudits on MOTD2.

Never gets bossed off the ball and very rarely goes to ground.  Take note Alan Smith.

I thought the discipline he showed having been booked was fantastic, given that it didn't affect his performance at all.

Yep, i was really worried when that card came out but he managed it fine. Top player.

Guest Stephen927

There's got to be a downside to this lad surely.. Just too good to be true, fantastic signing. Easy to be a bit worried and wonder why he couldn't stake a regular place in the Twente team, but he's been brilliant since signing. Such a calming influence.