Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Form of his life. I know it's a fair while, but he looks a different player to the one of about three years ago. He's got the brute warrior trait, but he's generally a lot more classier defender; a lot cleverer, a lot more assured. He's cocked up a couple of times, what with the Adebayor tackle and getting away with murder at Wolves - but is just a much better defender. Total kingpin this year.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/131001970.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CAC054A7B46FF6A3AAD2191761596B5D98BE18418A19F54C22

Bet we didn't get a free kick for that either.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/131001970.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CAC054A7B46FF6A3AAD2191761596B5D98BE18418A19F54C22

Bet we didn't get a free kick for that either.

Nonsense, was just some affectionate spooning

A settled team and a settled partner is all Taylor has really needed for the past 5 years, it's no coincidence his form being like this and what's going on around him. Would have come sooner IMO if it wasn't for his injuries in 2010.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Love the pink 'eyebrow' the mask had.  He really needs to get the mask painted up so it's got a full on Ultimate Warrior style going on for the next match though.

http://i53.tinypic.com/6o06jc.jpg

Ultimate Geordie would be awesome.

Tayls is pure comedy. All those lines about not ducking out of headers better come true though as I can see how instinctively you'd be pulling out of stuff and have to force yourself not to. Has to play on Monday, if he doesn't, we're looking at a several goal deficit

Eh? How would you 'instinctively' change your 15-year old habit in a week?

For several reasons:

Lack of concentration with an unusual object on your face

Anticipation of pain

Actual pain

Did well last night - didn't see him duck out of any headers/challenges, face-mask or not.

Is he..is he good then?

Pardew spoke early on about changing Taylor's body shape to increase his mobility, i.e. less upper body bulk.

He has looked a far better player since so credit to Pardew, not to mention playing alongside Colo must be any central defenders dream.

It took a lot of bottle to face the Stoke machine with a recently broken nose and burst facial blood vessel. Well done Stevie boy.

Is he..is he good then?

Pardew spoke early on about changing Taylor's body shape to increase his mobility, i.e. less upper body bulk.

He has looked a far better player since so credit to Pardew, not to mention playing alongside Colo must be any central defenders dream.

It took a lot of bottle to face the Stoke machine with a recently broken nose and burst facial blood vessel. Well done Stevie boy.

Didn't know this, remember someone talking about how a lot of players bulk up a lot in premier league and it can ruin them. Someone said Heskey in his early years looked like a quick agile winger, then he bulked up massively...and became Heskey...Similaly Agbonlahor has apparently had a lot of managers telling him not to bulk up and remain nimble, but he keeps trying anyway. Less sure about defenders who I'd want to be able to not be muscled off the ball, but you don't need to be so muscly i suppose to compete against Silva and this new breed of small attacking players.

Is he..is he good then?

Didn't know this, remember someone talking about how a lot of players bulk up a lot in premier league and it can ruin them. Someone said Heskey in his early years looked like a quick agile winger, then he bulked up massively...and became Heskey...Similaly Agbonlahor has apparently had a lot of managers telling him not to bulk up and remain nimble, but he keeps trying anyway. Less sure about defenders who I'd want to be able to not be muscled off the ball, but you don't need to be so muscly i suppose to compete against Silva and this new breed of small attacking players.

It's brushed on here, but there was quite a bit written about it last season.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/10/16/steven-taylor-pardew-s-a-tough-taskmaster-79310-29601997/2/

Tayls is pure comedy. All those lines about not ducking out of headers better come true though as I can see how instinctively you'd be pulling out of stuff and have to force yourself not to. Has to play on Monday, if he doesn't, we're looking at a several goal deficit

Eh? How would you 'instinctively' change your 15-year old habit in a week?

For several reasons:

Lack of concentration with an unusual object on your face

Anticipation of pain

Actual pain

Did well last night - didn't see him duck out of any headers/challenges, face-mask or not.

Yup, you're right. He played without any inhibitions. This lad has had some start to the season

Guest Howaythetoon

On this form he deserves an England call-up. I cannot think of many better performing English centre-backs. He has been pretty good whenever he's had a good run for a few years now stretching back to even the Kinnear days.

Trouble with international defending is that defending is defendant on understanding between two CBs that develops over time, which is impossible basically at international level so could appreciate that Capello could stick with a partnership.

The problem is that partnership is Terry + anyone else at random atm. Terry should be dropped from team on present form, and a dreadfull world cup etc etc. Steven Taylor for England? Maybe, but a lot is to do with how well synced him and Colo are at present, our lines have been great for catching people offside. He is also guilty of occaisional blunders, and the England team doesn't need any more blunders.

Having said that I'd be all for giving him a go, just wouldn't be surprised if isn't given a run of games, and as such never looks solid and hits his confidence.

Trouble with international defending is that defending is defendant on understanding between two CBs that develops over time, which is impossible basically at international level so could appreciate that Capello could stick with a partnership.

The problem is that partnership is Terry + anyone else at random atm. Terry should be dropped from team on present form, and a dreadfull world cup etc etc. Steven Taylor for England? Maybe, but a lot is to do with how well synced him and Colo are at present, our lines have been great for catching people offside. He is also guilty of occaisional blunders, and the England team doesn't need any more blunders.

Having said that I'd be all for giving him a go, just wouldn't be surprised if isn't given a run of games, and as such never looks solid and hits his confidence.

In that case, the starting partnership must be Phil Jones and Smalling.