Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Do you reckon he's doing all these media talks in a bid to boost his profile (for an england call-up)? Because whenever he appears on these shows, his chat is this "We're working hard, we're playing as a team, Pardew has got us playing for each other, we're walking hard in training and we need to keep it going by working hard." Cheers Tayls

Cahill's one of the league's most overrated players imo. I can appreciate maybe he's a good footballer but can he defend? No better than any average top flight centre half and worse than a fair number.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've always rated Taylor as a more than adequate Premier league centre-back with the attributes to become much more than that. Injuries, a succession of poor partners at the back, poor and struggling teams with clueless managers and of course rash decision making have all hampered his progress or potential. For the first time in his Toon career, however, he is fit and playing alongside the ideal partner and in a side that is playing well under a manager who seems to be working on his game. As a result he is now putting in consistently good performances at the highest level of English football. He is out performing those who are being called up and selected for England duty and on that basis alone deserves a call up and perhaps a cap. The fact that hasn't happened is down to the idiotic manager in charge and the never ending fashion within 'Team England' of overlooking players in form or players who are not a name.

I used to watch Taylor a lot for the under-21s and he would more often than not be a key man in that side and in their games, often putting in the Terry of Chelsea like performances and generally lloking like a future England centre-back and maybe even a future captain. He was immense against the Dutch a few years back and as a fellow Geordie watching on I was really proud to see one of our own representing his country so heroically.

He always looked different at Newcastle though, making rash decisions and playing without any real collective responsibility. He was trying to be the hero all the time. Now he's more mature and his game is showing signs of consistent improvement.

I like him as well, he seems a good lad in the dressing room and he does serious amounts of charity work for the foundation and general public stuff visiting schools, hospitals etc. which never get documented. You never hear about him getting drunk or being a tit either, in fact you never hear nowt and that's because he's a good professional.

We finally have a very good centre-back partnership, probably the best in our Premier League history and long may it continue.

Its heartneing to see a former Toon academy player making the grade and performing so well.

I've always rated Taylor as a more than adequate Premier league centre-back with the attributes to become much more than that. Injuries, a succession of poor partners at the back, poor and struggling teams with clueless managers and of course rash decision making have all hampered his progress or potential. For the first time in his Toon career, however, he is fit and playing alongside the ideal partner and in a side that is playing well under a manager who seems to be working on his game. As a result he is now putting in consistently good performances at the highest level of English football. He is out performing those who are being called up and selected for England duty and on that basis alone deserves a call up and perhaps a cap. The fact that hasn't happened is down to the idiotic manager in charge and the never ending fashion within 'Team England' of overlooking players in form or players who are not a name.

I used to watch Taylor a lot for the under-21s and he would more often than not be a key man in that side and in their games, often putting in the Terry of Chelsea like performances and generally lloking like a future England centre-back and maybe even a future captain. He was immense against the Dutch a few years back and as a fellow Geordie watching on I was really proud to see one of our own representing his country so heroically.

He always looked different at Newcastle though, making rash decisions and playing without any real collective responsibility. He was trying to be the hero all the time. Now he's more mature and his game is showing signs of consistent improvement.

I like him as well, he seems a good lad in the dressing room and he does serious amounts of charity work for the foundation and general public stuff visiting schools, hospitals etc. which never get documented. You never hear about him getting drunk or being a tit either, in fact you never hear nowt and that's because he's a good professional.

We finally have a very good centre-back partnership, probably the best in our Premier League history and long may it continue.

Its heartneing to see a former Toon academy player making the grade and performing so well.

:thup:

Noever got the Taylor scapegoating - even when he had his dip in form, he wasn't anywhere near as bad people liked to try and make out.

Again, well said. He was bizarrely heavily disliked on this board for a few years despite always being well supported by the SJP crowd. I never really quite grasped it although it seemed to be to do with his "Super-Geordie" persona.

He was the mouthpiece of our relegation season, he did kind of epitomise the "all talk, no walk" of the squad that season. I can understand why people were a bit hacked off with him.

Thankfully, he's now also managing to do his talking on the pitch. He's been pretty much great since we went down, albeit having a few serious injuries along the way.

He was the mouthpiece of our relegation season, he did kind of epitomise the "all talk, no walk" of the squad that season. I can understand why people were a bit hacked off with him.

Thankfully, he's now also managing to do his talking on the pitch. He's been pretty much great since we went down, albeit having a few serious injuries along the way.

tbf in the relegation season he's one of the few I'll give any credit to, he wasn't as awful as others and got a few goals

Incidentally, I was flicking through a match programme from last season which featured a few pics of him: he's notably slimmed down, he had a hell of a belly on him 12 months ago.

Guest Howaythetoon

The hero stuff can seem over the top especially when you are not doing well. Its like what the fuck's he cheering about or pumping his fists at, but imagine how you would go on representing this club and shirt of ours. When I score at 5-a-side I go ape-shit, I'd probably pass out in a fit of screaming, shouting and running around if I were to score for Newcastle at SJP or in any game. At least with Taylor you know its genuine. He has shown that. He's no badge kisser in the stereotypical sense. He's a life long Toon fan playing for his club and that shows. Yes it sometimes appears over the top but again, what would you or I be like. Give me that ober the "meh" attitude of most players, players who you get the impression view football as a job.

I'm absolutely delighted he's doing well and even being talked about where England is concerned because that says an awful lot about him and this Newcastle side. That we have a decent player in a decent side, a player who helps make this a decent side in the way the side helps make him decent.

Regarding the defence in general, they are only as good as the midfield and attack. If the attack don't defend the midfield gets oxposed and comes under pressure which seeps all the way through to the actual defence. At Newcastle over the years the defence and defenders have often had it tough and been on a hiding to nothing many a time. That's hard, very hard. Now we have a good attack and midfield and a team that defends from the front by attacking from the front it is no surpsie we are actually defending very well, keeping clean sheets and becoming hard to beat.

I guess what I'm saying is that as good as Taylor has been, the team itself has ben just as good, the two contributing to each other's success and performances, and that's the most pleasing aspect.

Pardew deserves massive credit for all of that really, especially Taylor because he pinpointed what was going wrong and how they would work to make things better and boy is it paying off.

Happy days as they say.

Do you reckon he's doing all these media talks in a bid to boost his profile (for an england call-up)? Because whenever he appears on these shows, his chat is this "We're working hard, we're playing as a team, Pardew has got us playing for each other, we're walking hard in training and we need to keep it going by working hard." Cheers Tayls

Well we have a captain who is probably a bit shy about speaking English in front of an audience so most of the broadcast interviews are being done by Saylor, Simpson and Krul who all seem more at ease with the media side of things.  Last year it was Nolan, Barton and Harper doing this sort of stuff.

Guest magpie99

I would be more than happy to see Taylor continue to be ignored by England, as unfair as it is because he can just concentrate on NUFC this season and wait for Capello to leav e in the summer. I know it is selfish but I have little interest in thed national team as long as this dipstick is manager.

If the national team were serious in developing players for future competitions, Capello should have got rid of most of them after the last WC and started afresh in preparations for this euro.

Anyway, as I see it, the likes of Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand and Jagielka should not even be considered. I really like Jones of Man Utd and a pairing of Jones and either Taylor/Smalling at the centre of defence would be a good option for the future.

It is a real pity Ledley King is so injury prone. He would have been a perfect partner for Tayls in the centre of the defence. 

I really think the best thing about him is, if he wasn't playing himself he would be in the stands screaming like a little girl every time the team scored. And that shows. Everytime we score he is one of the first over to celebrate. He loves the club and he truly loves it when we score. Deep in he will do whatever it takes to win matches for the club and that's really the only reason I miss Carroll in the B&W shirt aswell. When he was here he was just like stevie.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: those eyes: He looks like he's been up for days hiding dead bodies.

You just know he inhaled a big sniff of her hair moments before that pic was took, nothing makes him smile like that apart from the thought of a fresh victim.