Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/848875-newcastle-contract-rebel-steven-taylor-wants-spurs-transfer?

Steven Taylor 'wants Spurs transfer' as Newcastle contract saga continues

Steven Taylor is keen on a move to Spurs amid speculation Harry Redknapp wants to sign the Newcastle defender, who is holding out over a new contract.

Taylor is on the transfer list after negotiations between his advisers and Newcastle representatives broke down during the summer.

And although the club are rumoured to have made attempts to re-open talks with the 24-year-old defender, who is out of contract next summer, he is also said to have had his head turned by reports that Redknapp may be tempted to take him to White Hart Lane in January.

Spurs are struggling with an injury crisis in defence, after Younes Kaboul suffered a hip injury against Liverpool to join former Toon team-mate Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King on the physio table.

Redknapp is a fan of bringing in homegrown talent and is tempted to make a bid for London-born Taylor to move him to the capital - especially as the centre-back could represent a bargain with only six months remaining on his current deal.

However, the player considers Tyneside his home - having been raised in the area and coming through the Magpies' youth system - and he has previously expressed a desire to remain in his native north-east.

It remains to be seen how the breakdown in communications over the summer will have affected his relationship with Newcastle bosses though.

Speculation suggests he is more keen than ever to move on, despite making his first start of the season in the 1-1 draw with Chelsea on Sunday.

No quotes, smacks of gossip/guesswork/lazy journalism but I'd be happy to see him at WHL.  Got a lot of ability and potential in my opinion.

f*** an improved contract.  If he doesn't want to sign for what we feel is reasonable then he can do one.  Much rather see Kadar as our 3/4th choice anyways.

Clearly the club think he's worth whaever they've offered in the improved contract, he's hardly got us bent over the barrel here.

Where has the club suggested a figure? And it clearly shows they're doing everything to keep him when they're putting him on the transfer list when he refuses their offer. Not digging at you magorific, I just don't really understand your post.

I'm not sure about the logic that breaking off negotiations and putting someone on the transfer list without telling them is "doing everything to keep him". They still haven't even got round to putting in the paperwork.

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list

You'd almost think the transfer list announcement was done purely as a point scoring exercise.  ???

When you think about how secretly the club tries to do business these days, isn't it strange how easily some information leaks out?

Where has the club suggested a figure? And it clearly shows they're doing everything to keep him when they're putting him on the transfer list when he refuses their offer. Not digging at you magorific, I just don't really understand your post.

I'm not sure about the logic that breaking off negotiations and putting someone on the transfer list without telling them is "doing everything to keep him". They still haven't even got round to putting in the paperwork.

You'd almost think the transfer list announcement was done purely as a point scoring exercise.  ???

When you think about how secretly the club tries to do business these days, isn't it strange how easily some information leaks out?

As you say the club does try and keep a lid on its business but is still quite capable of playing out a PR war through the media. I would say though that in this case Taylor (and/or his father) have certainly competed in that war. Now what I can't remember is whether the club or Alf Taylor actually started it.....anyone?

I wouldn't place too much credence in that transfer list website btw - there's only two players on there who are on sale for a fee. The rest are free transfers, juniors and possible loan signings. I had a quick flick through and I hardly found a player on there who is currently with a Premier League club, but I may have got a duff sample! Also apart from the odd one like Aliadiere they certainly aren't names anyone will have heard of. I will bet my house that there are players who will change hands in January who aren't on that website...

As you say the club does try and keep a lid on its business but is still quite capable of playing out a PR war through the media. I would say though that in this case Taylor (and/or his father) have certainly competed in that war. Now what I can't remember is whether the club or Alf Taylor actually started it.....anyone?

I wouldn't place too much credence in that transfer list website btw - there's only two players on there who are on sale for a fee. The rest are free transfers, juniors and possible loan signings. I had a quick flick through and I hardly found a player on there who is currently with a Premier League club, but I may have carried out got a duff sample! Also apart from the odd one like Aliadiere they certainly aren't names anyone will have heard of. I will bet my house that there are players who will change hands in January who aren't on that website...

I only recently found out there's actually a transfer list that players can be submitted to. I always just considered it a phrase to say that the player's available. Which I think it is these days, would be highly surprised if clubs actually used a list like that to advertise their players' availability.

I can't help but think that Taylor's a player who'll always hold us back, to some extent. I hope someone makes an offer in January and we take it.

Have not missed him when he's been out and if Spurs are really interested I hope we can arrange a deal, something like Taylor plus some cash for Keane and Krankjar would be nice.

Really not bothered if he signs tbh. He's got a high sell-on value which would be useful but i tend to agree with Ronaldo. If he's the long term partner for Coloccini then i think we're mugs offering him £50k a week. There'll be better centre-backs in the bargain basement than Steven Taylor.

Really not bothered if he signs tbh. He's got a high sell-on value which would be useful but i tend to agree with Ronaldo. If he's the long term partner for Coloccini then i think we're mugs offering him £50k a week. There'll be better centre-backs in the bargain basement than Steven Taylor.

Who?

Guest firetotheworks

Be happy to keep him on reasonable wages, but if the reported 50k a week is correct I'd rather we just let him go tbh.

This. He should and would only remain a squad player imo.

Be happy to keep him on reasonable wages, but if the reported 50k a week is correct I'd rather we just let him go tbh.

This. He should and would only remain a squad player imo.

He's a decent squad player, and I like the idea of having homegrown players in and around the first team, I just don't think he's worthy of big wages at all.

Guest firetotheworks

I couldn't really give a s*** what he's being offered tbh. It's not like this regime is going to sanction something we're not going to be able to afford anyway.

It's about their worth though, the difference between paying 50 grand a week on players like Taylor and Smith and having a tidy squad of players like Bassong, Tiote etc. I care because I don't feel the player has given anything to deserve a pay raise, and nor does he provide quality to the sum of 50 grand a week anyway.

He doesn't provide quality to the sum of two grand a week if you're going with that angle. None of them do.

I'd only be arsed if this deal was going to stop us signing anyone else. As mentioned, considering who's in charge then I highly doubt that.

Who?

Dunno tbh, i'm not a scout. But if we needed to buy a cheap centre-back i'd have faith in Hughton to find someone better than Taylor.

I can't help but think that Taylor's a player who'll always hold us back, to some extent. I hope someone makes an offer in January and we take it.

In what way?  He won't play if doesn't deserve to.  It's not like the fans are clamouring for him to play every game pressuring the manager to play him, most on here seem to think he's shit.

Who?

Dunno tbh, i'm not a scout. But if we needed to buy a cheap centre-back i'd have faith in Hughton to find someone better than Taylor.

We should sell Andy Carroll for £20m in the winter window and buy two of him with his ability and for half the price; I'm not a scout either but it doesn't work like that, getting rid of Taylor for nothing and reaplcing him for what it would cost to sign him back up will be very tough and why the club want to offer him a new deal and keep him here.

In what way?  He won't play if doesn't deserve to.  It's not like the fans are clamouring for him to play every game pressuring the manager to play him, most on here seem to think he's s***.

I think he has a negative effect on the players around him. And the local hero thing is a get-out clause that seems to anger half the crowd and most of his teammates.

He also thinks he's about three times the player he actually is, and will most likely request a transfer if he's benched for a long period. He's nearly 25 now.