Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The defence was anything but solid today, I'll let him off seeing it was Colo who was the poorer of the two.

What I don't understand is why Colo was marking Jerome who was their big guy, and this in fact led to the goal. Surely Taylor should be marking the main target man and Colo playing as the sweeper?

at certain times taylor had him, at others colo.........do you think there were set plans of "YOU" mark him ?

When there's only one big striker you'd like to think the big defender would be on him.

why ? how much ball did they hoy to jeromes head ?

It's worth noting that this good performance came against one of the shittest, least dangerous offensive outfits in the division that spent over half of the game with 10 men.

against them what else could he do bar score and play well ?

I feel people are a bit too negative on him, he hasn't had a consistent run of games for 18 months mostly due to injury (including a big one inflicted by a team mate at the time) which makes it hard for any player, let alone at cb where the partnership between the 2 cbs is the most important thing (imo anyway) and willicini were hard to drop making it hard to get into the team to get the match sharpness he lost while injured back.

last time round in the prem hes one of the few players who gets away with any credit from that disaster of a season in my book and he was playing well last year until he got injured, give him a break

I feel people are a bit too negative on him, he hasn't had a consistent run of games for 18 months mostly due to injury (including a big one inflicted by a team mate at the time) which makes it hard for any player, let alone at cb where the partnership between the 2 cbs is the most important thing (imo anyway) and willicini were hard to drop making it hard to get into the team to get the match sharpness he lost while injured back.

last time round in the prem hes one of the few players who gets away with any credit from that disaster of a season in my book and he was playing well last year until he got injured, give him a break

Some of the criticism of him is over the top. He's not a bad defender, he just never reached the heights many expected of him after a bright start to his career. Since then, injuries have disrupted him every season. He's also been around during some awful Newcastle sides under countless managers when we were on the end of some hammerings. Many assosciate him with those periods I feel. His good performances tend to get quickly forgotten once he picks up another injury.

Notice how when another player scores he goes to his team mate and is mobbed by the whole team.

Notice how when he scores he runs to the fans and only a few players follow.

It's worth noting that this good performance came against one of the shittest, least dangerous offensive outfits in the division that spent over half of the game with 10 men.

Can only play the opposition in front of you though.  I agree that there is no need to go over the top mind

Notice how when another player scores he goes to his team mate and is mobbed by the whole team.

1) I wouldn't f***ing follow him. I'd be f***ing knackered :lol:

2) You were obviously watching on the TV, because they all joined together on the half way line after his run.

I've always liked Taylor. People seem to have taken a dislike after the Carroll incident last March, and because he had a quite poor game against Everton. So fuck if he celebrates like a looney, doesn't that just show how much it means to him? I definatly prefer him to Williamson, who has made the step up quite well but I really get narked by his insitance to hoof it. Taylor/Coloccini in the first half of last season were class. We hardly ever conceded.

Guest ykmkmdd

Thought he played well. Offers much more of an attacking threat than Williamson from set pieces, which can prove crucial in tight games against stubborn opposition, as yesterday proved.

Had a decent game against shit opposition yesterday. I like the lad, always have done, but I think he's a very average centre back. As mentioned he provides a decent attacking threat from set plays though. Right back would be his strongest position for me but I personally reckon being cover for the back four is ultimately where he is 'at' at the moment.

I have to say, even though Williamson is ahead of him for me Pardew's comments have given me some optimism. He definitely seems to have the same concerns that most do about Taylor and unlike the rest of us he is an a position to try and correct them.

Stop grabbing desolation from the jaws of positivity, ya dick.

Stop grabbing desolation from the jaws of positivity, ya dick.

Guest Howaythetoon

Taylor is a decent player whose problem has always been that he's not great which I think here at Newcastle you need to be to be considered good enough from a good majority of fans. I reckon he's better suited to right-back though and would personally play him there because he's athletic, good going forward, strong and defensively OK. I like Simpson but he's decidedly average going forward and backs off far too much when defending.

Taylor is a decent player whose problem has always been that he's not great which I think here at Newcastle you need to be to be considered good enough from a good majority of fans. I reckon he's better suited to right-back though and would personally play him there because he's athletic, good going forward, strong and defensively OK. I like Simpson but he's decidedly average going forward and backs off far too much when defending.

:nope: Everton (h), nuff said.