Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

This the Ba or the Shola thread?

Personally, unlike everyone else I seem to read at the moment, I quite like Shola. It wasn't his best game last night, but the midfield weren't giving much support to the strikers.

Yeah I know he can be frustrating, but I think he has something worthwhile to offer. He gives and makes himself time on the ball. It means he can look terribly lazy (as could the rather more skilled but equally lolloping Chris Waddle, Mathew Le Tissier or Glen Hoddle) but he can create time away from home for the rest of the team to get up, or alternatively find a key to unlock an over-crowded penalty area at home against the teams that come to defend. That unruffled quality is what makes him, unlike Barton, a terrific penalty taker.

People go away remembering the times he lollopingly got in the way of another of our players, or the times he should have done better with a chance, but not the times when he was a vital cog in a good move move by keeping and releasing the ball well under pressure.

The really frustrating thing is that he's always injured and playing on painkillers, but it's also to his credit that he's always prepared to. The season in the Championship could have done wonders for his confidence and willingness to go for goals - he was absolutely tearing the place up when we started that season until he got that long term injury, and instead the player made by that year was Carroll.

I have to say I disagree with almost every point here. Shola, in my opinion, is anything but a vital cog in attacks. I'd say he's agent #1 in breaking them down by either making a terrible pass or being dispossessed when under little pressure. His ball control is appalling and he gets offside far too often. Another unfortunate characteristic is the amount of fouls he gives away when trying to get his head on the ball. Sometimes he gets unfairly treated here by referees but the main ovrerriding problem is his flailing limbs.

The only time he has knocked them in consistently and looked like a decent striker was in those first ten games or so in the championship. What does that tell you about him? Carlton Cole is doing the same thing now. He can strike the ball well when there's little pressure like in the championship. When he had more time on the ball he really did strike the ball well. But that just doesn't happen in the PL, maybe it happens on the training ground and instils confidence in Pardew but he is a very poor footballer in my opinion. I don't really know whether I consider him lazy, I just think that's another excuse along with all these injury excuses to try and disguise the fact that he's nowhere near PL standard.

If he starts Saturday, I think I'll cry.  We should have matched them and gone 4-3-3/4-5-1, this useless clogger was more of a hinderance and we kept booting it long to him, don't think he won one decent header or flick on.  Words cannot describe how angry I get seeing him stroll around the pitch like he doesn't give a fuck  :rant:

I will also cry on Saturday. Since Shola is Messi in training.

No, seriously, what is happening on that training field that suggests Shola is a better footballer than Demba Ba? And God knows what would've happened in a 4-3-3 formation. He would probably start ahead of both Best and Ba, and put up his usual show of doing nothing. He is an utter embarrassment to the club, and it really is breaking me down to see him playing ahead of obvious better football players every f***ing week. And to think he signed an extended contract as well. :anguish: Yes, I predict rivers of crying.

I confess I've been a bit of a Shola fan in the past, don't think he's as bad as sometimes made out, but he put in a poor shift last night, be very surprised if he starts on Saturday.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Don't think he was fit last night, and Pardew still preferred him, so that says quite a lot about his attitude in training. Many successive managers have felt the same, unlike say Xisco where many successive managers categorically didn't. He's on a relatively low wage and should be a good back-up to have - it's not his fault that he's thrust into first team action by the inability of the club to spend any money.

He pissed me off more so than Ryan Taylor last night. Ryan Taylor is just a poor footballer, it wasn't his fault he was shafted by SWP.

Shola though, despite his complete lack of anything resembling balance, still tries to take players on and shit (if you can call it that). He like stands there, doing literaly fuck all, waits for the defender to edge ever closer to him, puts his foot on the ball in some vein attempt to do something (anything), and then falls over. It's fucking infuriating and so unnecessary, you're shit, just pass the ball to somebody with an ounce of talent.

Just adding to this in agreeing that Shola was truly awful last night. Wasted passes, poor tackling, falling over too often, slow movement and lack of enthusiasm.

Start Best and Ba for now I'd say, even Sammy should be ahead of shola at this rate.

In 2011, its completely undefendable that Shola is a Premier League player. Awful is putting it mildly.

This.

I just don't see what he brings to the side at all, he's a decent finisher but thats it realy, and he hasn't even got the positional sense to make any use of that. You will literaly get 6-7 goals a season from him and absolutely nothing else other than comic value.

Probably from now on I would stop watching the TV when he's playing.  I cannot recall any moments that we are playing great as a team when he's on the pitch.  He offers absolutely nothing to other teammates FFS.