Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

He did well in the opening 10 minutes yesterday. After that he had one of those days where he doesn't seem to understand what is going on around him. It's not just in the second half he looked knackered it was for 60 of the 70 minutes he was on.

If he's only worth having out there for such short spells, then he should be the one given 10 minute cameos. Swap places with Ranger.

So, basically, he's played well in 2 matches when everything went right for us. Other than that, he's not pulled his weight. Don't see why he should still be in the first team.

He's in the first team because he's done reasonably well of late, although his last couple of games have been poor, maybe because he's not fully fit. It's not like we've got much alternative in any case. Best and Lovenkrands are worse, Ranger is raw and at the end of the day less likely to score.

Exactly my thoughts. Well, like I said, 2 good games. 2 games where everyone was on song and it just went perfectly for us, no one underperformed. So he's good when every single other player is good, but other than that, seems to be the same below-par striker we've endured for the majority of this decade he's been with us.

Exactly my thoughts. Well, like I said, 2 good games. 2 games where everyone was on song and it just went perfectly for us, no one underperformed. So he's good when every single other player is good, but other than that, seems to be the same below-par striker we've endured for the majority of this decade he's been with us.

Those two good games got us 6 points which in this league isn't to be sniffed at. If there is a better alternative at this moment then I would be happy to hear the case.

I'd rather see Nolan playing off Carroll. He's got a knack for being in the right place to put away Andy's flicks.

AC created a number of opportunities against Chelsea that I think Nolan might have put away. Those opportunities were just wasted on Shola. 

Desperately need a better player up there alongside Carroll than what we have available at the moment.

Shola is a passable backup at this level, nothing more. Nolan up front just doesn't work at all, his best quality is lost when there's a CB there to pick him up when he moves into the box.

Still reckon Keane would be a useful signing on loan until the end of the season, streets ahead of the likes of Best, Ranger and Lovenkrands both as a player and as a useful partner for Carroll. He'd do really well working off Carroll's knockdowns from long balls, unlike Shola who seems to just stand there and looked shocked when Carroll wins every single ball in the air.

Ben Arfa playing just off could be interesting too, eventually.

Guest Tall Striker

Carrolls second top scorer in the league with this buffoon beside him. Imagine how good Carroll would be with a Bellamy type player off him.

Guest Roger Kint

Surely as a NUFC lad he would use the Shearer/Ferdinand partnership over Shearer/Sutton ???

Then again even Sutton was better.....

“If you’ve got enough quality and brains about you, regardless of the fact you might seem to be the same type of player, there’s no reason why you can’t cause defenders problems"

Therein lies the problem, Shola.

“He’s the type of guy, with his legs, who is going to run in behind and cause defenders all sorts of trouble in the air.

Even though I can do that, the manager’s been happy for me to bridge that gap between the midfield and attack, and pitch in with some goals as well.

:undecided:

Shola is a better partner for Carroll than Nolan in terms of creating chances to score.  However to us it is the opposite - Nolan / Carroll partnership is more effective in scoring for the team.

If youve got enough quality and brains about you, regardless of the fact you might seem to be the same type of player, theres no reason why you cant cause defenders problems"

:lol:

If youve got enough quality and brains about you, regardless of the fact you might seem to be the same type of player, theres no reason why you cant cause defenders problems"

I'm sure Andy can improve.  ;)

Honestly, I hate him. I think he's given up on football. I don't think he enjoys playing. I don't think he cares about winning. Nicky Butt had the same issues but had an amount of professionalism that ensured he gave a bit back to the club.

I don't normally make threads like this, but I honestly don't know why he's (still) at the club.

I agree, he's hopeless.

I love all this inaccurate stuff on here!