Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

http://www.nufc.com/

Following his competitive senior debut for Crystal Palace in the closing stages of Saturday's home defeat by Arsenal, former Magpie Shola Ameobi has been talking to the South London Press:

"I certainly believe I have got enough quality to play for another two or three years in the Premier League. I'll be working hard to try and do that (he's 34 in October).

"I'm doing my coaching badges at the moment in case I do go down that route but I want to play at the highest level for as long as I possibly can. If that is Palace then great. I'm not thinking about hanging my boots up any time soon.

"Going out to Turkey was an experience that just didn't work out in terms of the football or my family settling. It was a case of getting back to what I know. Fortunately the manager got the job an at opportune time for me - the rest is history.

"We don't regret the move abroad. Unless you try it you never know and would be thinking whether we should have given it a go. We've learned from that and moved on.

"I've got two young kids, a daughter and a son, and family is the most important thing. My daughter has started school and, with me coming in here initially short term, I didn't want her moving around from school to school or town to town. It's a case of them staying up in Newcastle and me going up there when I've got days off.

"I had a few clubs in the Premier League and Championship that were interested in me. And abroad too - Stateside. But after being in Turkey for six months I wanted to get back into a more comfortable scenario. I'm really glad at the decision I took.

"I don't let anything ruffle me and that's a trait that I've inherited from my father - he's exactly the same.

"It's about putting everything into perspective. Football is something that is our life but sometimes people take it out of perspective.

"I try and view life - not just football - in a calm and calculated way to best achieve what I want to achieve.

"There certainly will be testing times. There have been over the years at Newcastle. That has helped me build that calmness - because you do have those moments in the North-East.

"You have to be able to rise up to the occasion and be calm and collected."

"Essentially Newcastle is a one-club town. Everyone is so passionate about the club and you get times when things aren't going right and the pressure intensifies.

"But coming down here has pressures of its own. The way Alan (Pardew) dealt with the situation at Newcastle and never let it affect him will definitely stand him in good stead for the future.

"My mantra has always been that as long as you learn, whatever you go through, it will put you in a better stead next time.

"The thing I like about Alan is that he is a strong person and he believes in the way he wants to play the game. It suited me.

"He gives confidence in abundance to players and I can already see that at Palace in the short period I have been here. He is someone I really admire.

"I'm a big believer in having the right attitude and saying what you think. The relationship I had with Alan meant we were honest with each other. There is a respect there.

"Football is all about confidence and having the right mentality. Then you go out, do the best you can and hopefully your qualities shine through.

"We've got the quality not to even be in a relegation fight at the end of the season."

If Shola believes he's got enough quality to play for another two or three years in the Premier League, I'd love to know the real reason why he signed for a Turkish second division side last Summer.

http://www.nufc.com/

Following his competitive senior debut for Crystal Palace in the closing stages of Saturday's home defeat by Arsenal, former Magpie Shola Ameobi has been talking to the South London Press:

"I certainly believe I have got enough quality to play for another two or three years in the Premier League. I'll be working hard to try and do that (he's 34 in October).

"I'm doing my coaching badges at the moment in case I do go down that route but I want to play at the highest level for as long as I possibly can. If that is Palace then great. I'm not thinking about hanging my boots up any time soon.

"Going out to Turkey was an experience that just didn't work out in terms of the football or my family settling. It was a case of getting back to what I know. Fortunately the manager got the job an at opportune time for me - the rest is history.

"We don't regret the move abroad. Unless you try it you never know and would be thinking whether we should have given it a go. We've learned from that and moved on.

"I've got two young kids, a daughter and a son, and family is the most important thing. My daughter has started school and, with me coming in here initially short term, I didn't want her moving around from school to school or town to town. It's a case of them staying up in Newcastle and me going up there when I've got days off.

"I had a few clubs in the Premier League and Championship that were interested in me. And abroad too - Stateside. But after being in Turkey for six months I wanted to get back into a more comfortable scenario. I'm really glad at the decision I took.

"I don't let anything ruffle me and that's a trait that I've inherited from my father - he's exactly the same.

"It's about putting everything into perspective. Football is something that is our life but sometimes people take it out of perspective.

"I try and view life - not just football - in a calm and calculated way to best achieve what I want to achieve.

"There certainly will be testing times. There have been over the years at Newcastle. That has helped me build that calmness - because you do have those moments in the North-East.

"You have to be able to rise up to the occasion and be calm and collected."

"Essentially Newcastle is a one-club town. Everyone is so passionate about the club and you get times when things aren't going right and the pressure intensifies.

"But coming down here has pressures of its own. The way Alan (Pardew) dealt with the situation at Newcastle and never let it affect him will definitely stand him in good stead for the future.

"My mantra has always been that as long as you learn, whatever you go through, it will put you in a better stead next time.

"The thing I like about Alan is that he is a strong person and he believes in the way he wants to play the game. It suited me.

"He gives confidence in abundance to players and I can already see that at Palace in the short period I have been here. He is someone I really admire.

"I'm a big believer in having the right attitude and saying what you think. The relationship I had with Alan meant we were honest with each other. There is a respect there.

"Football is all about confidence and having the right mentality. Then you go out, do the best you can and hopefully your qualities shine through.

"We've got the quality not to even be in a relegation fight at the end of the season."

If Shola believes he's got enough quality to play for another two or three years in the Premier League, I'd love to know the real reason why he signed for a Turkish second division side last Summer.

Aye, he'll be fucked once his legs go.

Be a lot funnier if he managed someone else.

He'll be Pardew's assistant at some point in the future and I'd rather we had as little as possible to do with him. A bloke who couldn't even learn from the likes of Shearer, Bellamy and Kluivert has no business coaching anyone else.

He'll be Pardew's assistant at some point in the future and I'd rather we had as little as possible to do with him. A bloke who couldn't even learn from the likes of Shearer, Bellamy and Kluivert has no business coaching anyone else.

Maybe he did learn from them.  Imagine how bad he would have been without the guidance of two of the greatest strikers and one of the greatest managers of a generation :lol:

Maybe he did learn from them.  Imagine how bad he would have been without the guidance of two of the greatest strikers and one of the greatest managers of a generation :lol:

fair point :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

One of my favourite bits of commentary, that completely summed him up as a player was "AMEOBI!!!!!!!............goal kick."

• 5 months later...

I want to edit his wikipedia

During the tournament, Ameobi made a total of two substitute appearances for the Super Eagles, failing to score in either and ultimately seeing out his side's 2–0 exit to France as a door

Ameobi left the club on 29 December 2014, citing being a massive door for his departure

His father, Dr John Ameobi, is a door in Newcastle Apostolic church, a Pentecostal church