Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Would rather start same team as at Everton. Think playing two big strikers against Stoke's big defenders would have limited value. Would rather do Huth and the likes on the deck.

They are a big side and if Carroll is up top alone he will not get a lot of joy, harder for them to cope with two big physical strikers. Does not mean we have to bang the ball long or high, we can still play it on the deck but for set pieces it will be to our advantage to have the two big strikers.

We are at home we should be the more positive side and keep the pressure on them as much as we can.

Guest neesy111

Having rewatched the second goal of his a few times, anyone else think it came off his shoulder? Might just be the angle.

I was thinking similar on thursday night actually.

Would rather start same team as at Everton. Think playing two big strikers against Stoke's big defenders would have limited value. Would rather do Huth and the likes on the deck.

They are a big side and if Carroll is up top alone he will not get a lot of joy, harder for them to cope with two big physical strikers. Does not mean we have to bang the ball long or high, we can still play it on the deck but for set pieces it will be to our advantage to have the two big strikers.

We are at home we should be the more positive side and keep the pressure on them as much as we can.

I realise after the Blackpool game there will be pressure to be more positive at home, but I don't necessarily think playing 4-4-1-1 / 4-5-1 is negative if played right. Definitely don't think we were negative against Everton, against Blackpool the problem was a lack of creativity and some bad finishing, plus Alan Smith. Hopefully Tiote and Ben Arfa take care of 2 of the 3 and we have a bit more joy in front of goal.

Who would you drop to go 4-4-2?

I realise after the Blackpool game there will be pressure to be more positive at home, but I don't necessarily think playing 4-4-1-1 / 4-5-1 is negative if played right. Definitely don't think we were negative against Everton, against Blackpool the problem was a lack of creativity and some bad finishing, plus Alan Smith. Hopefully Tiote and Ben Arfa take care of 2 of the 3 and we have a bit more joy in front of goal.

Who would you drop to go 4-4-2?

Its not so much negative but we rely on Nolan getting forward to support Carroll and that takes time and gives the opposition back four a chance to get sorted.

As for who I would drop I would go for.

------------------Krul

Perch------Colo---------Willi--------Jose

Jonas------Bart---------Tiote-------HBA

-----------Shola---------Carroll

If it went off his shoulder he has scored a practically identical against sunderland a few years back.

When Shola played with Carroll at the start of last season he pretty much cancelled Carroll out. I would stick with Nolan personally, it's been relatively successful so far and he is hardly a midget (and definitely not light weight).

If we played with Shola and Carroll I'm afraid we would see the end of the good passing football of the last two games and revert to aimlessly humping it long which they've realised they can't do when only one of them is up there as it doesn't stick.

Shola should be the nowhere near the starting Xl. He's a step ahead of the likes of Lovenkrands, but that doesn't make him worthy of a place in the first Xl. It's mental that people want to change a team that won at Everton, based on a daft League Cup tie.

Shola should be the nowhere near the starting Xl. He's a step ahead of the likes of Lovenkrands, but that doesn't make him worthy of a place in the first Xl. It's mental that people want to change a team that won at Everton, based on a daft League Cup tie.

:nods:

Guest sittingontheball

Shola's a one in three in cup competitions inc. Intertoto. In the league, its less than one in five and less than one in six in the top flight (not all starts tbf to him).

Guest Tall Striker

Has there been one of those Skyride things in Newcastle yet? Surely Shola should be the figurehead for that.

Sponsored by Apple.

As well as Shola goal played the other night, we should start with the same team that beat Everton with Krul replacing Harper obviously.

We certainley shouldn't change formation to accomodate one good performance.

I'm certain that Carroll will start against Stoke. Unlike others, I don't think there's that much to choose between them in attack, but Carroll is superb at getting on the end of headers to defend set pieces, and that's a big asset.

• 3 weeks later...