Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

:lol:

What? How's he eligible for Scotland - dodgy passport scam in his Uncle's shed? Ah, I guess he's British.

Surely that's not how it works?

why, it's not like he was born in england to english parents ?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What? How's he eligible for Scotland - dodgy passport scam in his Uncle's shed? Ah, I guess he's British.

Aye, he'll be classed as British since he wasn't born in one of the home nations. Never thought about it before really.

Guest elbee909

Maybe if you squinted hard enough 'nolan 4' might look a bit like 'solano 4'. Some of the letters are the same at least ;D

Nolano?

Aye, he'll be classed as British since he wasn't born in one of the home nations. Never thought about it before really.

But then wouldn't Cudicini, Arteta etc. be eligible for Scotland/Wales etc? Would have thought they'd have snapped them up by now.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But then wouldn't Cudicini, Arteta etc. be eligible for Scotland/Wales etc? Would have thought they'd have snapped them up by now.

Yup, same situation. Just shows how low Scotland and Wales are reputation wise.

EDIT:

AH right, as madras said aye. Thought you meant if they got a British Passport.  Nevermind.

no, in artetas case he will not be a british citizen. that naturalisation rule is fifas own invention.

shola is british so can represent any of the home countries as far as i'm aware.

I always say the same thing when it comes to Shola. He's an extremely good finisher and absolutely nothing else.

I'll always feel pretty gutted for him after what happened at the end of 05/06. He looks like he was finally realising his potential. Shearer retired, Shola finished the season/next pre-season like a steam train, we signed Martins to go up top with him... he was the main man then and looked like a really useful striker. Then he got that bad injury and has been totally shagged since then.

For anyone to say he's League 1 standard at best is both astonishing and bizarrely deluded given his success last year. He scored whenever he played last year. His presence and finishing ability will happily get him 10-15 goals at the very least in that division, providing he's at a club where they'll create chances. He'd do nowt at the bottom end of the Championship. To a promotion contender he'd be invaluable. He was an important squad member last year.

I hope he does go sooner rather than later, for his sake aswell as ours.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hmm, never knew that. Should set himself away, his only real chance of international football.

Didn't Nigeria show some interest for the World Cup before his injury? Or was that just paper talk?  :lol:

I always say the same thing when it comes to Shola. He's an extremely good finisher and absolutely nothing else.

This. And as crazy as it sounds, I'd have Best in the pecking order ahead of him for exactly that. He can hold onto a ball and has a decent touch and whilst he isn't the greatest in the final third, he's a hell of alot less frustrating than Shola. We simply can't afford to have a player that can't hold onto the ball, especially if we defending a lead away from home.

This. And as crazy as it sounds, I'd have Best in the pecking order ahead of him for exactly that. He can hold onto a ball and has a decent touch and whilst he isn't the greatest in the final third, he's a hell of alot less frustrating than Shola. We simply can't afford to have a player that can't hold onto the ball, especially if we defending a lead away from home.

Agreed.

I dont think Shola is a good finisher - so many times he blasts it over, well wide or straight at the keeper - also plenty of scuffed shots which just trickly to the keeper

He is shot all round really - which is a shame cos at 18 he looked like he would turn out to be a canny player

I can't remember the last time Shola hit it hard enough for it to go over the bar. Total bollocks really.

Even in Carroll's current glut, there's no one in our squad i'd rather have 14/15 yards from goal with the ball at his feet than Shola. Though i am, obviously, starting to think Carroll could bury just about anything. Shola's still better with his back to goal though - he's good at fashioning a shot from inside the box.

But like i say. Everything else. :thdn:

Agreed.

Shola is absolutely useless at holding up the ball, but as a second striker I don't think he'd be that bad. I'd still rather have him over Best on any day, because playing a striker who isn't able to score simply defeats the whole point of playing strikers. Besides, if we were defending a lead away from home you'd put a midfielder on, not a striker.

Agreed.

Shola is absolutely useless at holding up the ball, but as a second striker I don't think he'd be that bad. I'd still rather have him over Best on any day, because playing a striker who isn't able to score simply defeats the whole point of playing strikers. Besides, if we were defending a lead away from home you'd put a midfielder on, not a striker.

What on earth are you talking about? He has absolutely nothing required of a second striker.

Agreed.

What on earth are you talking about? He has absolutely nothing required of a second striker.

I mean instead of playing him as a traditional target man, play him as a striker who feeds off a target man. Shola has improved a fair bit in terms of his positional sense over the years, and he isn't that bad with the ball at his feet. I'm not saying he'll become immense just by tweaking his position a bit, but I can see him being more effective.

If he was at any other club, his career would be over already. He's just lucky enough to be a 'local lad', lucky to have got his foot in the door before Chopra and lucky to have milked a new contract at every turn. He's a mercenary.

I would gladly pay money to charity for his testimonial just to go boo him :lol: