Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Guest hobshobs

The laziest player I have seen in 40 years. Can't fathom out how he has managed to remain with us for so long. Keegan was here 5 minutes and had him on his way but Shola couldn't agree terms. Surprise Surprise.

Always, always feel like we're playing with 10 men when he's on the park. Just useless.

I can't hate the guy after having seen him on MTV Cribs. Don't know if I'm allowed to post it but it's on youtube.

Just confirms that he's a massive dopey bastard on and off the pitch. Funny though.

:lol:

"you don't see that very often" - like your fucking goals shola

From a .com match report vs. the makems, nine years ago

In an ideal world, whoever played next to Shearer would be capable of shouldering the workload, especially against the quality defenders who will inevitably expose his reduced mobility in coming games. Whether that player is Ameobi remains a big doubt in my mind. Taking into account his often Waddle-esque languidity, he seems to err on the shoulder-shrugging side of easy-going too often for my liking. Just as he had against Troyes, he walked off for his half time cuppa against the mackems having barely featured or threatened. Hopefully a well-heeled brogue was brought into contact with the back of his shorts within said dressing room.

Critical praise from the chattering classes and broadsheet newspaper interviews are all very well, and uncle Bobby simply refuses to have a word said against him, but our hyper-active manager looked more energetic and active on the touchline for great swathes of this game than his young striking prospect. Shola's body language when subbed seemed to betray the fact that he thought his time was up for longer than this game, when in fact the continuing saga of Carl Cort's tin legs means he still has senior opportunities.

Nowt has changed....

I can't hate the guy after having seen him on MTV Cribs. Don't know if I'm allowed to post it but it's on youtube.

Just confirms that he's a massive dopey bastard on and off the pitch. Funny though.

:lol:

"you don't see that very often" - like your fucking goals shola

:lol: I like how he keeps talking about his interior designer too.

Has barely improved in all his time with us. That said, I bare him no ill will, it's not his fault he's not good enough.

IMO he's a top Championship striker / lower PL striker. He can just about do a job in the PL, will score goals but will never threaten to get a goal every other game or anything daft like that. We need better, but I'm glad we're not relying on him too much at the moment.

The horrifying thing is he'll be due a testimonial soon.

Despite what I've said about him being shit... I'd like to see him get a testimonial and I'd probably go!

I'm not sure why, he's just likeable in a weird way.

His main problem is his personality I reckon. He doesn't seem a confident or aggressive lad really... will always be a bit of a hinderance in top level sport.

Guest Stephen927

Roeder wanted him to become more aggressive on the pitch. I don't think it's a case of him not caring, it's just his style.

He'll be here until his deal runs out, we had trouble shifting him last time cos he didn't want to move away from Newcastle.

I think as a third choice striker shola is ok to keep. He can score vs lesser teams and runs at defenses.

His finishing has actually improved recently, maybe his hip injury gave him a lack of confidence.

Keep him for cup games and to cover injuries.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I like Shola as a person, but he's an awful footballer. Looks lazy (which is probably down to the way he plays), slow, not very agile, if we could get HBA and Tiote and sell him to Blackpool/Stoke it'd be a great summer!

From a .com match report vs. the makems, nine years ago

snip

Nowt has changed....

Hehe - I saved a nufc.com report on him too. This one is dated 11 September 2002, a 0-2 loss when hosting Leeds:

To those who don't share Robson's enthusiasm for Ameobi, this game in many ways reinforced the position for and against.

Some have claimed with a level of justification that this was the best of his 52 first team appearances. Others though point to a lack of goal assists and goals scored, despite some eye-catching runs and a couple of gilt-edged chances.

LuaLua wasn't in a fit state to play according to the manager, and with Bellamy short of match fitness and Cort not ready for the Premiership, then Shola was the only choice apart from some Robert/Viana jiggery pokery.

Fair enough, but it was once again evident that Shearer and Shola do not a lethal combination make. Whether it's because Ameobi doesn't play on the shoulder of defenders or link up well with his captain is unclear, but certainly there are question marks about the positional sense of the youngster - at times in this game his colleagues would have needed orienteering skills to find with a pass.

Whether he'll learn that in time is open to question - other people writing in "proper" media channels can dance around the subject and come up with mealy-mouthed answers, but we're unencumbered by such conventions.

To be brutally honest, he's not good enough - skilful yes, but not tenacious enough for the very top line. Goals in the reserves are one thing, but in front of 52,000 when the chips are down is a slightly different matter.

He's got more to him than many previous toon strikers, but at the very highest level that we're aiming for he's lacking. Someone has to score the goals that we've come to rely on Shearer for, and it ain't him.

If you think this is unjust, sorry.

Nowt personal against the lad, just gut feeling from someone who has seen every game at first team and reserve level he's played for the club, not to mention academy matches when he used to be deployed as a central defender!

His time in the England U21 side is close to ending, and he looks like joining club mate Cort in not making the transition to the senior set up. Whether Shola will be able to make his mark at a lower level is also open to question - football history is littered with talented forwards who couldn't find the time and space to exhibit their skills against Neolithic defenders.

Again, it's been obvious his entire career, and everyone can see it. And yet he remains...

EDIT: One amusing part of that piece is the mention that Shola started out as a centre half (I also remember a version of Championship Manager that listed him as a CD and gave his full name Foluwashola). Can anyone imagine Shola as a centre half? The idea horrifies me!!!

The weird thing with Shola is that he has an uncanny knack of scoring goals that matter - against the Mackems, he has an excellent record scoring in Europe and had that great game against Barcelona.  He also managed to score in the semi-final at Cardiff and his early goals last season were important in building up confidence at a point when we had no idea how the team were going to respond to relegation etc and of course his goal that broke the deadlock in the Forest game.

I always thought that he was more suited to playing in Europe but that is probably too late for him now - not that I could imagine him making such a move anyway.

Guest neesy111

Been at the club 10 years, 10 years of sheer frustration with the lad as at times he's shown glimpses of being a good player, only to let himself, his manager and the fans down.

Been at the club 10 years, 10 years of sheer frustration with the lad as at times he's shown glimpses of being a good player, only to let himself, his manager and the fans down.

He looked quite good under Roeder at the start of the 06/07 season iirc. His hip let him down that time.

Guest GAMMELL

He should do ads for the Premier Inn, you can just see the lanky prick lying on a bed with a silky purple wrobe wrapped aroung him with that silly smirk on his face.

He will be here his whole career.

Will always find reasons and make excuses to stay, always has. He's a moron and a cunt :lol:

I don't know why but this really made me laugh. Also, I can imagine Bannatyne saying it on Dragons' Den. :lol: And for that reason, Shola should be out.