What is your best Newcastle United Moment ?

Guest Rob 1988

In terms of matches I've actually been at, the 3-1 against Boro was amongst the best for atmosphere and belief and performance.

We gave it all that night to get three points and I left absolutely adament we were staying up.

The David Kelly Portsmouth game was similar but ultimately better as the result made a difference.

One of three - the Keegan appointment (and getting a signed matchday program from the whole team for his first game against Bristol City), Shearer's goal against Spurs in the FA Cup semi-final or Bellamy's goal vs Feyenoord. Maybe the last one sneaking it just because it wasn't just a comeback in that game, it was the fact we were dead and buried in the whole competition after losing the first three and pulled it back. 

14 years to the day since Sir Les bulletted in a header at the Fulwell End.

"Suddenly Roker Park becomes a place of complete silence."- Barry Davies.

Guest Loven11

Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd

Newcastle 3-2 Barcelona

Newcastle 6-0 Aston Villa

When we signed Shearer

Shearer breaking Milburn's record

When we drew 2-2 with Inter in the San Siro

Andy Cole scoring his 40th goal of the season against Aston Villa at St James's

I just remember feeling utterly robbed by those cheating cunts after that game. Have despised Inter since, although Big Jose did start to sway me with his magical powers and rugged looks. Glad I can hate them again now Potato Heed is there.

What was so special about the 2-2?

I was there, and it was a good performance but a great chance missed. It surely doesn't stack up to Feyenoord or beating Barca.

The whole experience was just incredible. To claim a draw in the San Siro really was one of the high watermarks. Yes it wasn't as good as Barca or Feyenoord but it was still pretty special.

End-of-season game against Manchester City, 1968. I was, like, 12, in the Gallowgate with my dad and my brother. While my father chatted to some old codgers further up the terraces, me and my brother went down the front and met some other kids, with whom we started singing -- Blaydon Races, various player songs ("sha-la-la-la McNamee" -- he scored our first), every other song we could think of though I can't remember them now. It was an exciting game. We'd lost our last four matches and lost this one, too, 34, but in a game in which they bagged the Division One title, we gave them a real fight. We sang our songs all over again, really singing our little hearts out, maybe a dozen of us... and then eventually ran out of steam. There was a moment's relative silence, and then the whole Leazes End started singing, "They've all gone quiet over there!" It took me a second to register, but then I realized that they were singing about us! I was so f***ing proud.

I also really enjoyed the game, and then felt a bit guilty about enjoying a game so much when we'd lost, and then realised that it was OK to enjoy it because it really had been a good game, whatever the result. This wasn't my first game -- I'd been to a few others that season -- but I think it was that day that I really fell in love both with Newcastle United and with the game of football itself.

Ozzie.............I remember this game very well too. It was the final game of the season and City had to beat us to win the title whilst United had to hope we won and they beat Sunderland at OT for them to win the title. I was standing outside the Jolly Miller pub in Low Fell watching the procession of city supporters heading up the A1 to the game with their scarves hanging out of the windows. Needless to say, we managed to pinch one and did a runner with their supporters in hot pursuit out of the car but they couldnt catch us. In the afternoon, it was off to the game and it was end to end stuff .........2-2 at half time with Pop Robson and the late Jackie Sinclair scoring for us while Neil Young and Summerbee scored for them. In the second half, another Young goal plus one from Franny Lee put them 4-2 up before a late McNamee goal for us set up a grand stand finish. Sunderland actually beat United at OT in the end but there we.re wild celebrations all around SJP. I was in the gallowgate end behind the goal. Great memories

One that matches the City 3-4 game(but was better because we won..!)was the game with Derby in February 1976.

Derby were in the running for the title and we had qualified for the LC Final  a few days earlier by beating Spurs at SJP. We were in the middle of a good run and scoring goals for fun and had just come back from 3-1 down at Boro to draw 3-3 in added time...!

The game had a fairly good start, but it was an own goal from former Mackem Colin Todd that gave us the lead. They equalized through Powell but we eventually got into a 3-1 lead after Nulty scored with a header and Tommy Craig was tripped in the box. Craig took the pen himself and blasted it home and we thought that was that although Derby continued to pour forward - they were a good side, with Charlie George and the likes of Bruce Rioch in their team

They came back and scored twice to equalize(bad defensive mistake from Keeley was responsible for one of their goals I think) with only a few minutes to go so we thought we had chucked 2 points away.

Supermac had other ideas....we attacked them for a final time and forced a corner ; Craig bent it in but a Derby defender headed it out, only to see the ball played back into the area as the derby defence all ran out to catch us Offside - Macdonald judged his run back perfectly and beat the trap, being played on by

that big lanky forward they had (can't remember his name but they signed him from Non-league Burton and he was a decent player, also played for Spurs). Supermac headed the ball powerfully past their keeper

and we all went absolutely berserk !! There was 5 minutes left, and they nearly got another with one of their shots being cleared off the line, although we could also point at a lovely chip from Tommy Craig that bounced off their bar with the keeper beaten.

It was a fantastic match, brilliantly exciting and typical of that  great season, and we had some high scoring games after Christmas.

One that matches the City 3-4 game(but was better because we won..!)was the game with Derby in February 1976.

Derby were in the running for the title and we had qualified for the LC Final  a few days earlier by beating Spurs at SJP. We were in the middle of a good run and scoring goals for fun and had just come back from 3-1 down at Boro to draw 3-3 in added time...!

The game had a fairly good start, but it was an own goal from former Mackem Colin Todd that gave us the lead. They equalized through Powell but we eventually got into a 3-1 lead after Nulty scored with a header and Tommy Craig was tripped in the box. Craig took the pen himself and blasted it home and we thought that was that although Derby continued to pour forward - they were a good side, with Charlie George and the likes of Bruce Rioch in their team

They came back and scored twice to equalize(bad defensive mistake from Keeley was responsible for one of their goals I think) with only a few minutes to go so we thought we had chucked 2 points away.

Supermac had other ideas....we attacked them for a final time and forced a corner ; Craig bent it in but a Derby defender headed it out, only to see the ball played back into the area as the derby defence all ran out to catch us Offside - Macdonald judged his run back perfectly and beat the trap, being played on by

that big lanky forward they had (can't remember his name but they signed him from Non-league Burton and he was a decent player, also played for Spurs). Supermac headed the ball powerfully past their keeper

and we all went absolutely berserk !! There was 5 minutes left, and they nearly got another with one of their shots being cleared off the line, although we could also point at a lovely chip from Tommy Craig that bounced off their bar with the keeper beaten.

It was a fantastic match, brilliantly exciting and typical of that  great season, and we had some high scoring games after Christmas.

Merlin

Speaking of Glen Keeley and that 3-3 at Boro. I was at that game and Keeley scored a superb diving header..................................straight into his own goal.

We left at 1-3 down with two minutes to go. The game was at the old Ayresome Park and as we were leaving, we heard a couple of roars and thought we must have conceded a couple of more goals.

Imagine our shock when we switched on the car radio to find out that both our full backs, Kennedy and Nattrass scored twice in the final few minutes to get a 3-3 draw. I was livid. but we had been told by the driver of the car to go early because he had to get home for an anniversary dinner.

Merlin

Speaking of Glen Keeley and that 3-3 at Boro. I was at that game and Keeley scored a superb diving header..................................straight into his own goal.

We left at 1-3 down with two minutes to go. The game was at the old Ayresome Park and as we were leaving, we heard a couple of roars and thought we must have conceded a couple of more goals.

Imagine our shock when we switched on the car radio to find out that both our full backs, Kennedy and Nattrass scored twice in the final few minutes to get a 3-3 draw. I was livid. but we had been told by the driver of the car to go early because he had to get home for an anniversary dinner.

I was there too Macca, but fortunately, I waited until the end....!

The Boro fans were so pi---d off it wasn't true...they had never beaten us since coming up to Div 1 in 1974

and they thought they had done it when Maddren put them 3-1 up after Keeley's wonderful(!) strike.

The deflation had to be seen to be believed when Nattrass put us level right at the end after Kennedy made it 3-2.

We tormented them as we walked back to the cars, they were saying how lucky we had been and we asked them if they knew that a football match actually lasts for 90 minutes !!

The result against Derby merely rubbed salt into the wound as they were anticipating having a laugh at our expense when we threw a 2 goal lead away,only to snatch a winner at the death - great days !

Guest firetotheworks

Certainly not our best moment, but when I watch Carroll's equaliser away to Stoke in our relegation season it still makes me think 'f***ing yes, man!'....gets the blood flowing, despite the goal being in vain in the end.

:thup:

Totally. I've never celebrated a goal as much as that one. I almost cried. It was just such a release of utter frustration at the time.

Certainly not our best moment, but when I watch Carroll's equaliser away to Stoke in our relegation season it still makes me think 'f***ing yes, man!'....gets the blood flowing, despite the goal being in vain in the end.

Totally. I've never celebrated a goal as much as that one. I almost cried. It was just such a release of utter frustration at the time.

How great it would have been (for Carroll, Shearer and the fans) if Carroll would have scored a late goal against Villa that would have kept us up...  :smitten:

Guest PaddockLad

Lua Lua scoring against Derby in the 90th minute, Robert's free kick in the 4-3 win against Man Utd, Bellamy's goal against Feyernood, Tino's hat-trick and of course Oba's bullet against the Spuds.

Thought we'd seen the future at Derby that day....Shearer had gone off leaving a forward line of Lua Lua,Shola,Bellamy and Dyer to virtually run the ball into the back of the net. Superb.

Anyone mention Pedro's hatrick v the tramps on new years day 85?

We all like football clips :facepalm:

A few games against Leicester spring to mind, cant remember the years though.

1.  2-2 draw on New Years day at home.............still pissed from night before and fell asleep against one of the lean toos in the gallowgate at 1-1 and missed the next 2 goals.

2.  2-1 away and the own goal in injury time

3.  5-4 at home, after being 2-4 down with 20 minutes to go, Roy Aitkens debut, I think and McGhee's classic winner.

4.  4-3 at home after being 1-3 down and Shearer scoring a hat trick to win it

5.  cant remember the score but Supermac scored a 40 yarder, probably the best goal he has ever scored.

Being int he Cow Shed end at Tranmere, and hearing 3,000 plus Toon fans singing "We will, we will f*** you" to the obvious tune of Queen - We will rock you. This was then followed by chants of "Geordies here, Geordies there, Geordies every-f***ing-where!" While fellow Mag's stood in the home end joining in. Finally, "Sing in the cow shed, MOOOOO" got an airing and I found it utterly hilarious at the age of about 9/10.

To top it all off, we won and I was pictured on my Dads shoulders at the end of the game and it was on the front page of the Chronicle the next day.

Top quality trip.

Guest 3-1 NYD

Apart from the usual suspects (Feyenoord away, Milan away, Leicester 7-1 last day of the promotion season, Filth 3-1 NYD (twice, but a preference for the game where Beardsley scored all 3 - I'm fortunate to have witnessed them all in the flesh) plus watching the 5-0 humping of Man U and the Tino 3-2 game V Barcelona on TV, here's a few others that I remember fondly:

1972 3-2 at home to Leeds (Jinky Jim scoring direct from a corner).

1976 3-1 at home to Spurs in the League Cup semi final.

1982 5-1 at Rotherham (Packed away end,4 goal Keegan, Terry Mac, Match of the Day)

1984 4-1 at Pompey (Beardsley wonder goal after Keegan hospital ball)

1985 1-0 at home to Liverpool (George Reilly from Ian Stewart's cross, Gazza bossing the double winners and nutmegging their player/manager one K Dalglish)

1993 2-1 at Millwall (Virtually acheived promotion that day our last ever appearance at the Old Den, fisticuffs a plenty that day)

1993 2-1 at Spurs (Beardsley in the last minute, Mike Jeffrey debut)

1994 3-2 at Arsenal ( Days after Antwerp away, Ruel Fox smashing in the winner from close range)

There's plenty more where these came from.

Well said, mate. I was exactly the same! The frustration at the time was just beyond belief.