Newcastle United 0 - 2 Blackpool - 11/9/10 - post match reaction from page 20

JH

Anyone have any idea why we didnt went for Campbell during the transfer window? He was fantastic in my opinion, beats having Ameobi or even Lovenkrands up front.

Guest michaelfoster

Harper 6.5 - Made a couple good saves, still too slow at releasing the ball

Enrique  6 - Been getting advice off Jonas, runs with the ball then gives it away or gets tackled.

Coloccini - 6 - Lucky not to get sent off

Williamson - 6.5 - our best defender today imo.

Perch 5.5 - another yellow card to his name

Jonas 6 - ran about alot but offered very little, gave the ball away by getting tackled 9/10 times.

Smith 5.5 - at times i forgot he was playing

Barton 6.5 probably the best of the midfielders but was still fairly average

Routledge 6 - pace troubled them at the start but was then wasteful with crossing

Nolan 6 - too static, Carroll was flicking the ball on but he's too slow to catch it

Carroll 6.5 - could of scored a couple today, but their keeper had a cracking game

Lovenkrands 6 -

Ben Arfa n/a

Ameobi - n/a

My opinion is based on the result and limited commentry of the match but here goes:

We're back to square one, the good work of the previous results has been undone and it remains to be seen the state of our confidence. We simply have to beat teams like Blackpool on our own patch in a league where every point counts.

Smith has to go, by all accounts it sound like a a needless penalty to give away. He's a limited footballer and this is level is far beyond him. Tiote has had a week to settle and simply has to play at Goodison.

Hughton reacted far too late. At the latest changes should of been made at the hour make when it was evident things weren't working. This will be a week where he earns his money and the so called team spirit will be tested, if we get battered by Everton I'll start to worry but a fighting display, even if it ends in deafeat, shows we have a bit of metal and this result may not have done as much damage as it first appears.

I totally agree. It's a shame we wont keep the home record and couldn't build on the 6-0 but at least we have some points to fall back on.

Tough games coming up, we need to see some of this team spirit everyone's been falling over themselves to tell us about.

For me Lovenkrands was the wrong choice, Ben Arfa looked promising when he came on but didn't get long enough to do anything truly decisive.

Lets see Tiote for Smith next game otherwise I wouldn't change it bar bringing Arfa on earlier.

Can't wait for Guthrie to be back, I have a lot of time for him. And Simpson would be so much better than "penalty-per-match" Perch

Disagree with wullie as I thought Barton was the only decent midfielder. Thought we edged the first half but that CH showed his inexperience with his substitutions and change of formation. The first change was too slow in coming and should have been Ben Arfa through the middle for me. What we saw next is that Nolan cannot play in CM in 442 - they should have scored sooner on the break as a couple of times they had extra men - and this was with 25 mins left. Then to bring on Shola on the left(!!), Lovenkrands on the right(?), with Nolan and Ben Arfa behind Carroll just gifted them the ball too much. We did make chances but all shape and quality went.  Jonas and Enrique were as poor as I've seen them in a long while and I'd be surprised if Perch lasts as a RB.

PS Had money on Williamson at 28-1 for the first goal - couldn't believe it when the ball hit the post and stayed out. That type of day.

Harper 5, Perch 5, Jose 5, Colo 5, Willy 5, Smith 3, Barton 5, Routledge 5, Jonas 5, Nolan 3, Carroll 4, Lovenkrands 3, HBA 6, Shola 4

What did Shola do to get more than Lovenkrands? THought Lovenkrands looked really lively

Poor performance. Ridiculous missed chances cost us. Barton and Nolan's in particular, fuck me, you've got to be putting those away.

Harper      - 7 - Did fairly well, good save in the first half.

Perch        - 5 - Caught out of position a few times, absolutely useless going forward.

Coloccini  - 5 - Did okay, very little he could do about both goals. Him and Williamson were split a few times and caught out. Lucky not to be sent off for a stupid tackle

Williamson - 4 - Poor. Gave away needless fouls. Someone needs to tell the lad to stop just whacking the ball forward. Whenever he is in possession he just launches it up to Carroll instead of building from the back.

Enrique    - 5 - Dissapointing today. Got forward but to no real avail. Gave away possession too cheaply.

Routledge - 6 - Fairly decent, especially considering he gets no support from Perch. Crainey did nothing but kick him, referee offered him no protection. Still needs to create more.

Smith        - 1 - Fucking useless in every aspect.

Barton      - 5 - Poor. Worked hard, sprayed a few passes about. Missed an absolutely criminal chance, absolutely criminal.

Jonas        - 5 - Lack of end product. Pretty much the same as every other week.

Nolan        - 3 - Missed two good chances. The first of which, if your playing up front, you must be scoring. It was a simply finish and he fluffed it, an absolute sitter. Ineffective.

Carroll      - 5 - Another one that missed a great chance. Won his fair share of headers but still should have scored.

Lovenkrands - A few decent runs, maybe could have done better with a few chances.

Ameobi        - Lumbered about for the last 10 or so minutes

Ben Arfa      - Looked bright. Few decent runs and passes, though at times he had the ball and our players simply weren't making the runs.

Hughton - It's easy to criticize for playing Nolan and Smith but I'd have kept the same team considering we were in decent form. Too slow to change it for me, Ben Arfa looked bright, should have put him on instead of Lovenkrands on 65min. He's got no excuses for playing Nolan and Smith now, the test is to see how we bounce back from this.

It's a shame because thats a lot of our hard work undone. If we do go down we'll look back on this game and question how we didnt win it. Disgraceful amount of missed chances, two fo which were outrageous. However for me, we still lack someone other than Carroll to score goals

We made the mistake of giving Blackpool too much respect imo. Last season, the big guns of the Championship were turning up at SJP and we treated them like we were playing the under-11s.

We had no swagger today, which is bizarre after our last result here.

Guest malandro

Enrique & Jonas were gash today, probably the worse performance ive seen Enrique play for quite a while

In the same way thrashing Villa didn’t mean we are a great side, this result doesn’t mean we have a crap one. The interesting thing today was how we responded to some real psychological pressure. At home against a team widely tipped to finish rock bottom, a win was expected and the longer the game went on the more anxious the players became. Where last season they kept their composure, today they snatched at chances. Where last season we knew we’d score sooner or later and kept our shape, today the doubts set in and for the last half hour we threw players forward in a fairly random fashion and it was no surprise when we conceded a second. It may well be a one off, or it could be a sign of things to come – too early to say.

HBA was impressive. Composed. Good awareness, sharp passing, ghosted past some of Blackpool’s players like they weren’t there. Even did a bit of tracking back.

Sum it up, Nolan smith looked poor, so hughton needs to stick to his word and pick players based on performance. Perch still looks a bit green, the special partnership on the left broke down completely. Routledge worked his arse off but his final ball was something to be desired, Williamson and colo looked composed and had good games bar colo's lunge which was a deffinate red in my opinion.

Carroll was left doing it himself again as Nolan bimbled around in his trademark fat cunt way a guess, less said about smith the better. The game was screaming for someone like Ben arfa to come on and unlock the defence it's just a pity it was 10 mins too late, Ben arfa looked good going forward with a deft touch, looked a bit lazy come back over but I fully expected that.

How we recover from this is the key, when we beat villa 6-0 we were told one game doesn't make a season and losing to Blackpool doesn't make the season either, just a pity we've dropped points to relegation rivals, for what it matters we were the better team, just wasn't our day.

Harper 7, kept us in it on 12 minutes when Williamson was out of position and Harper had to make a double save.

Perch 6, was often playing right wing with Routledge nowhere to be seen.

Jose 6, tried his best but had nothing to aim at when he got forward.

Coloccini 7, probably our best defender but could have been shown a red card.  His tackle was one of those tackles which sometimes get the team going but he was playing with a very poor team today who just didn't react to it.

Williamson 5, didn't have a good game and looked worried that he might be about to lose his place.  If he has more games like that then that's exactly what will happen.

Smith 1, Pile of s****, chased and rarely got anywhere near the ball.  I counted him on the ball 3 times and the ball always went backwards or to the side.  The rest of the time he was chasing shadows.

Barton 5, he played far too many balls straight to the opposition but he did get involved and had nothing around him to lay the ball off to so was always looking for a pass which wasn't really on.

Routledge 5, had a bit of a mare, I don't think he found a team mate today but he kept trying.  He got upset over what looked like a nothing challenge.

Jonas 6, he tried and was all over the place, he did try too much at times but he had nothing to aim at far too often.  Both he and Enrique were struggling to find anybody in space.

Nolan 2, he's an abortion of a footballer and although Smith was worse I think the position Nolan has been given and failed to play made him worse because we had no link between midfield and Carroll.

Carroll 6, I felt sorry for him having to play with Nolan backing him up, or trying to.

Lovenkrands 3, a stupid substitution and one which started us off looking lost.  Bringing him on for Smith was madness as we had to try and change too much for 1 change.

HBA 6, he looked like he had a good turn of pace but Messi would have struggled today, he must replace Nolan.

Shola 4, why?  :lol: I wouldn't even have him on the bench as he offers nothing and when we had 3 forwards on they were within a few feet of each other and we had holes all over the pitch.  Playing 3 forwards resulted in us letting the 2nd goal in as we were like a group of kids having a game of kick and rush on a school field.

Hughton 0, I can't think of anything which he did right today and he needs to do something different for our next game as we've just handed Blackpool a massive 3 points.

We made the mistake of giving Blackpool too much respect imo. Last season, the big guns of the Championship were turning up at SJP and we treated them like we were playing the under-11s.

Agreed, the difference today from our first 3 games was that we rarely hassled an opposition player when he had the ball.

Guest malandro

I saw it the other way, we looked like we thought it would be an easy game and didn’t compete hard enough until we went behind. The second half was a sort of nonsense. With Blackpool increasing looking like a team that conceded a last minute equaliser last ‘week’ and NUFC playing with increasing indiscipline – it was like schoolyard game.