Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

As in saying Pardew wanted him kept but was overruled you mean?

The NOTW blurb just says something along the lines that Nolan's support wasn't returned by Pardew. He must mean when Pardew first arrived to a fairly hostile reception in Newcastle.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Problem was that pardew only read the first 100 pages of this thread when everyone said he was a one paced over sized plodder

Nolan furious Pardew didn't return his support

New West Ham signing feels let down by Newcastle boss for not fighting to keep him in Toon

Pardew and the club were completely in the right not to surrender to your silly contract demands, Kev.

I'm going to assume that NOTW have made up quotes tbh.

Why would they do that and risk Nolan taking them to court? It all sounds plausible anyway. Nolan was a good presence in the dressing room but managers get paid on results. Can you imagine if we held onto Nolan while Sunderland signed N'Zogbia who ran past him at will in the next derby game?

Blind loyalty to Nolan on my part I guess (was one of my favourite players for the last two seasons).

On a serious note, we offered Nolan a reasonable contract so that for me is somewhat "fighting for him".

The board offered as much as they could.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/nol_sport/nol_football/clubs/nolclubs_newcastle/1327534/West-Ham-Uniteds-Kevin-Nolan-furious-at-Newcastles-Alan-Pardew.html?CMP=SOCjam_TW_NOTW

Payback Tyne... Nolan feels let down by Pardew for not fighting his corner

Exclusive by Martin Hardy June 19, 2011

KEVIN NOLAN is angry that manager Alan Pardew did not fight harder to keep him at Newcastle.

Midfield man Nolan completed a £4million switch to West Ham after Toon failed to offer the long-term contract extension he wanted.

The 28-year-old initially did not want to drop down to the Championship.

But when contract talks broke down at St James' Park, the former Bolton star believed he had no option.

And he feels let down by Pardew for not fighting his corner even though he repeatedly stated his desire to draw up a new deal for a player who scored 12 Premier League goals from central midfield.

"Kevin is disappointed with Alan Pardew," said a source close to Nolan.

"He thinks Pardew paid lip service to keeping him at Newcastle.

"He feels let down and he's furious with his former manager. Kev expected him to try harder to keep him at the club during contract talks.

"The incentives they wanted put in Kev's contract were all about how high up the league table Newcastle finished.

"They are managers' clauses, not players'. If they'd wanted him to be manager, they should have given him the job."

Nolan was a key figure in making the Toon players accept Pardew after their anger at Chris Hughton's sacking in November.

"Kevin is especially disappointed because he made a point of supporting the manager when he first arrived at Newcastle," added the source.

"It was a very difficult time for Alan Pardew to take over and the support of the club captain was crucial.

"He needed Kevin Nolan on board and Kevin made sure the dressing room moved forward with the new manager.

"When the crunch came, the manager did not reciprocate the support and that was very disappointing.

"Kevin was a big character who helped him settle in and that was forgotten."

Talks started in March about a new deal that would have extended Nolan's stay in the North-East for up to five years.

But Newcastle blew a 3-0 lead in the final game of the season against West Brom, which angered owner Mike Ashley, who had promised the club's staff a £500,000 bonus for a top-10 finish.

Nolan was instead told he could have a new two-year deal with the option of a further 12 months and that it was not for negotiating.

He had been hoping to get nearer the £50,000 a week that West Ham ultimately slapped on the table.

But Ashley's vision is to hunt Europe looking for young players at bargain prices, such as Cheik Tiote who was bought last year for £3.5m on initial wages of £10,000 a week.

The message is clear that Pardew will have to build his team around Ashley's vision - not the other way round.

This is the bit that made me laugh:

"The incentives they wanted put in Kev's contract were all about how high up the league table Newcastle finished.

"They are managers' clauses, not players'. If they'd wanted him to be manager, they should have given him the job."

That comment is so ignorant its hilarious :mackems:

I know its not Nolan saying it BTW and its probably just the fevered imagination of the illiterate cretin who wrote the article, at least I hope so..

This is a headline news story run by the best selling national Sunday paper. If Nolan feels he's been mis-represented I'm sure he would refute this story with all his might.