Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

This is a headline news story run by the best selling national Sunday paper. If Nolan feels he's been mis-represented I'm sure he would refute this story with all his might.

Christ, are you that myopic?

Guest Mantis

Whether the comments are right or wrong, I agree with them, particularly as he helped the club babysit the retard through his troubles.  I'm not Nolans biggest fan but is everyone who moves on going to be portrayed by the club as greedy bastards by a man who asked for £450m for the club?

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/19/former-united-star-wants-to-know-who-rules-roost-79310-28901522/

Former United star wants to know who rules roost

Jun 19 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

STEVE Howey wants to know who rules the roost at St James’ Park after seeing former team-mate Kevin Nolan quit Newcastle in a blaze of fury.

Just three weeks after telling the Sunday Sun he wanted to stay on Tyneside for the rest of his career, a disenchanted Nolan felt he had “no choice” but to swap the North East for the East End after contract talks broke down.

Snubbing a three-year deal which would see his wages bumped to £50,000 a week if the club break into the top 10, Nolan chose to move to West Ham for a guaranteed five-year deal worth in excess of £55,000 a week.

It is a conflict neither side appeared to anticipate in the run-up to the summer, but events snowballed after the campaign concluded.

While United manager Alan Pardew is putting a brave face on it, there is no doubt losing his skipper and 12-goal top scorer is a blow.

The Toon chief has insisted the club must “move on” from the sale, but outspoken former Toon Army hero Howey – speaking before the weekend’s double signings – believes Pardew is being left in a tricky position by matters being taken out of his control.

A shocked Howey told the Sunday Sun: “Quite simply it is a bad, bad decision from the football club. I say football club because I do not know how much Alan (Pardew) has had to do with it.

“To me, it looks like they have gone above his head.

“Did the manager of Newcastle United want to sell one of his best players? I don’t think he did.

“Did he want to sell Andy Carroll? No he didn’t – although that was a fantastic deal for the club.

“Alan said he wanted to keep Nobby at the football club but now he has gone and you wonder who is next.

“I think he has done a good job at Newcastle and the fans support him, but it makes his job harder to lose a top player.

“I know it happens at football clubs these days, but for me it is an untenable situation if the manager cannot make those sort of decisions.”

Who wields the gears of power at St James’ Park is a question which keeps returning to the top of the black-and-white agenda. Playing matters have always been deferred to the manager, but on transfers and contracts it seems to be a different matter.

It has long been known transfer strategy is something of a collaborative effort at Newcastle – and no one would begrudge chief scout Graham Carr having a big say in matters after his string of recruitment hits.

As the man who puts up the cash, it is no surprise Mike Ashley has the veto on everything, either.

After winning the battle to get Steven Taylor a contract within weeks of taking control, Pardew has now lost an England striker and his skipper in the space of five months.

Howey says that might be a sign his voice is not the loudest in the room when it comes to the key decisions.

Regardless of St James’ Park politics, he thinks the decision to sell will hurt Newcastle where it matters most – on the pitch.

He added: “To move forward, Newcastle United need to keep their best players.

“First of all they need to stay in the division for a sustained period of time and the only way they can do that is to keep their best players.

“Kevin Nolan has been one of their best players over the last two seasons, yet he has gone.

“Now, unless they have someone who none of us know about up their sleeves (coming in to replace him), I cannot see them spending the money to buy a player of that quality.

“That automatically makes it difficult next year and it puts pressure on the likes of (Yohan) Cabaye straight away.

“I just think it is a poor decision. Newcastle will be struggling to find anyone who can score those kind of goals from the position he plays in.”

If Nolan is that good, how come he's ended up in the Championship at 28?

I just don't think Howey has grasped the bigger picture. There's a strategy in place for building the club, and it doesn't involve giving older players inflated contracts. You can't start making exceptions in a case like Nolan's.

I just feel that if Nolan had been given the contract he'd wanted, it would have been out of fear of the consequences of him going, rather than a realistic appraisal of what he's offering. It would have been a negative, pessimistic decision, rather than a positive, optimistic step.

I think its clear we are having a massive change in style next season, its clear to me that Nolan wouldnt fit into this model, if we'd wanted to keep him we would have, but as we all suspect well be playing a 3 in mid next season which will require a blend of Pace, Power and Technique, Nolan has none of these things, just good timing and leadership.  So called experts clearly ignore this.

Nolan had two years left on a great contract at Newcastle, and I see no reason why the bloke could not have accepted a one year, rolling contract after those two years.

No ambition whatsoever in dropping down to the championship, as much as I liked the bloke, I can't fathom why you'd give up near legend status for the next two years, and then maybe take a drop down to a lesser club. He wanted to stabalise his future financially, great, but his footballing future is now resigned to slogging it out under Allardyce.

Like Carroll, I expect he'll regret the decision, not financially, but he'll definatley regret this move.

I'm sure it'll dawn on him when he's running out against some dogshit like Middlesbrough in November, in front of 15k 'supporters', threading through balls to Carlton Cole and breathing out his anus within twenty minutes.

I hope the extra cash is worth it Nobby!

The Mirror's a rag so I wouldn't take anything they say seriously unless they're quoting Nolan.

Rocker, another reason for him leaving is probably that he realised he was no longer going to be a first team regular.

This is the bit that made me laugh:

"The incentives they wanted put in Kev's contract were all about how high up the league table Newcastle finished.

"They are managers' clauses, not players'. If they'd wanted him to be manager, they should have given him the job."

That comment is so ignorant its hilarious :mackems:

I know its not Nolan saying it BTW and its probably just the fevered imagination of the illiterate cretin who wrote the article, at least I hope so..

Tbf, as most people on here say that his leadership skills will be missed just as much as his footballing skills, giving him a manager type contract almost makes sense :lol: