Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Guest Howaythetoon

4m for a 28 year old english midfielder who scored 12 Premier League goals last season? A rabbit is off somewhere. Stupid sale by the way. Nolan although by no means a great player, did great things here with his goals, leadership and rapport with fans. He'll be missed and for me whenever I see him play or here his name mentioned I'll always think "Toon icon/hero"

4m for a 28 year old english midfielder who scored 12 Premier League goals last season? A rabbit is off somewhere. Stupid sale by the way. Nolan although by no means a great player, did great things here with his goals, leadership and rapport with fans. He'll be missed and for me whenever I see him play or here his name mentioned I'll always think "Toon icon/hero"

So you think he's worth more than £4 million? To us maybe, to any other club - nah.

Guest Howaythetoon

2 decent seasons and you're an icon?

3 goals and Asprilla become one.

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a shit load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a shit load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

Guest johnson293

He's 29 next Friday.

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a shit load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a shit load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

And all of that is very admirable - should we have matched the West Ham contract offer then?

All well and good, and I think most people admire him for that. However would you have advocated a 5 year deal on said wages?

Guest Howaythetoon

So you think he's worth more than £4 million? To us maybe, to any other club - nah.

In today's market given the inflated prices, he's worth far more than £4m surely.

In today's market given the inflated prices, he's worth far more than £4m surely.

Nope. He's not good enough for any club with reasonable money to spend. His value to us, like you've said, stretched beyond his ability as a footballer.

Guest Howaythetoon

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a s*** load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a s*** load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

All well and good, and I think most people admire him for that. However would you have advocated a 5 year deal on said wages?

I would have yes.

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a s*** load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a s*** load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

I would have yes.

Thank God you're not our chairman then. Funny you talk about an age of "mercenaries, crocks or scumbags", yet would happily have paid a player £50k a week aged 33 when he'd no doubt be on the bench if not out of the squad full stop.

And before you say we could sell before that point, look how hard it's been to shift Smith & Butt on that sort of wage.

Looks like he's been given a Premiership-style contract by a Championship club, even though none of the other 19 Premiership clubs seemed to be busting a gut to get him.

Presumably West Ham know what they're doing. Or possibly not.

Presumably West Ham know what they're doing. Or possibly not.

I just think it's a case of the owners wanting to back their new manager. It's a freak set of cirumstances that has lead to Nolan leaving, but i don't blame him or our owner. Good luck to the bloke.

Wish him well, but a bit sad to see him go to such a shit club like West Ham. Great guy, torn whether I want him to do well or not though.

I couldn't give a shit to be honest, he was offered a decent contract here for only one season less. It was his choice to take West Ham's money as soon as he could despite him stating how much he wanted to stay here and how he was settled. He could have easily just kept his current contract or signed the contract offered to him if he really wanted to stay here.

Guest Howaythetoon

I would have yes.

Thank God you're not our chairman then. Funny you talk about an age of "mercenaries, crocks or scumbags", yet would happily have paid a player £50k a week aged 33 when he'd no doubt be on the bench if not out of the squad full stop.

And before you say we could sell before that point, look how hard it's been to shift Smith & Butt on that sort of wage.

Without his goals we wouldn't have been promoted. Without his goals we would have went down. Nolan is worth 50k a week even over 5 years.

Nolan wasn't just a player or goalscorer, he was our captain who had a positive influence on every aspect of the club, most importantly in that dressing room. You can't buy that almost and such contributions as have been proved can be priceless to a club.

Nolan could have become a coach here, maybe for the academy or reserves and perhaps even one day assistant manager and even manager. He is that kind of dependable bloke, a good guy, a passionate football man who can contribute much more than playing and scoring goals.

I'm not surprised he's been sold though. The powers that be have zero foresight and zero loyalty to a man who made them millions and saved them even more.

Me, I'd have used the saved wages of say someone sold like I don't know Ranger and given a percentage of that to Nolan, our club captain and star trooper if you like.

I bet Pardew is seething personally at this and you just know Nolan will be gutted and so too will the squad in general too.

He's made a big contribution, but you just don't hand out a 5 years on 55K to a player who is almost 29 and likely to be benched from the first year.

In fact, it's barely worth an arguement.

I would have yes.

Without his goals we wouldn't have been promoted. Without his goals we would have went down. Nolan is worth 50k a week even over 5 years.

Nolan wasn't just a player or goalscorer, he was our captain who had a positive influence on every aspect of the club, most importantly in that dressing room. You can't buy that almost and such contributions as have been proved can be priceless to a club.

Nolan could have become a coach here, maybe for the academy or reserves and perhaps even one day assistant manager and even manager. He is that kind of dependable bloke, a good guy, a passionate football man who can contribute much more than playing and scoring goals.

I'm not surprised he's been sold though. The powers that be have zero foresight and zero loyalty to a man who made them millions and saved them even more.

Me, I'd have used the saved wages of say someone sold like I don't know Ranger and given a percentage of that to Nolan, our club captain and star trooper if you like.

I bet Pardew is seething personally at this and you just know Nolan will be gutted and so too will the squad in general too.

50k a week for five years is £13 million. Selling Ranger isn't going to do the trick.