Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I think the boys at NUFC.com will only be happy when Mike Ashley lets them decide what players to retain and sign.

Personally I'm not shedding any tears over any of the players we're not breaking our back to keep hold of.

Maybe he just values their opinion.

Maybe he does, I'd just hate to see the poor lad think it was more than opinion and they were a bit more in the know than anyone else with their suggestions.

i don't necessarily give their opinion any more weight than anyone on here, i only commented on it because it seems as if someone agrees with me on it at last

Why do you think Pardew went out with the scouts to France to look at players if he had no say?

i don't think he has no say at all, just not much. it's to do with my views on why he was brought in and what that ultimately means for the club going forward but it's been done to death so i wont go into it, i merely highlighted that bit from the .com piece as like i say, i've never seen anyone else put forth that point of view.

anyway, i dont think we should sell nolan this summer, some continuity needed and let's not forget he was our top scorer last season. i think he'd be a great option from the bench next season if we can possibly upgrade him.

I see Nolan as a passenger for most games that the rest of the team carry however I do acknowledge that he had a great season in terms of goals, the question to ask is was it just a freak season goal wise for him or is he capable of producing this amount of goals every season? What I do feel safe about saying is he isn't suddenly going to not become a passenger.

I can't think of anyone worse to bring from the bench for midfield either apart from Smith.

Maybe he does, I'd just hate to see the poor lad think it was more than opinion and they were a bit more in the know than anyone else with their suggestions.

i don't necessarily give their opinion any more weight than anyone on here, i only commented on it because it seems as if someone agrees with me on it at last

Why do you think Pardew went out with the scouts to France to look at players if he had no say?

i don't think he has no say at all, just not much. it's to do with my views on why he was brought in and what that ultimately means for the club going forward but it's been done to death so i wont go into it, i merely highlighted that bit from the .com piece as like i say, i've never seen anyone else put forth that point of view.

anyway, i dont think we should sell nolan this summer, some continuity needed and let's not forget he was our top scorer last season. i think he'd be a great option from the bench next season if we can possibly upgrade him.

I see Nolan as a passenger for most games that the rest of the team carry however I do acknowledge that he had a great season in terms of goals, the question to ask is was it just a freak season goal wise for him or is he capable of producing this amount of goals every season? What I do feel safe about saying is he isn't suddenly going to not become a passenger.

I can't think of anyone worse to bring from the bench for midfield either apart from Smith.

really? i think he'd provide a decent option from the bench when players are getting tired, he finds space well and more often than not puts his chances away.

really? i think he'd provide a decent option from the bench when players are getting tired, he finds space well and more often than not puts his chances away.

You see for me someone changing the game from the bench should be someone that either has great pace to stretch defenders, someone with the ability to pick the ball up and make something special happen or even someone that can come on and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and hopefully lift the rest of the teams spirits.

Sadly Nolan doesn't do any of these things and while he is capable of turning up in the right place to grab a goal I'd be as enthused seeing him come on as I would Lovenkrands who shares the same characteristics.

In a club not renowned for their forward planning, we look now to be at the third year of a strategy in which a top flight return was achieved at the first attempt with a top-heavy wage bill, then Premier League status was preserved with minimal investment in the same squad.

Now comes the next stage and already it seems as if the club's interpretation of moving on to 'the next level' differs from that of many fans, who anticipated additions to the existing squad, rather than a wholesale personnel change.

Despite Pardew saying he was happy with the size of the squad and ideally he would ship four out and replace them with four players of a higher quality.

So who replaces them when they get injured/suspended? Ryan Taylor, Guthrie, Lovenkrands and Perch presumably.

"Replacing" your first teamers like for like is an utterly fucking stupid way of doing things.

In a club not renowned for their forward planning, we look now to be at the third year of a strategy in which a top flight return was achieved at the first attempt with a top-heavy wage bill, then Premier League status was preserved with minimal investment in the same squad.

Now comes the next stage and already it seems as if the club's interpretation of moving on to 'the next level' differs from that of many fans, who anticipated additions to the existing squad, rather than a wholesale personnel change.

Despite Pardew saying he was happy with the size of the squad and ideally he would ship four out and replace them with four players of a higher quality.

So who replaces them when they get injured/suspended? Ryan Taylor, Guthrie, Lovenkrands and Perch presumably.

"Replacing" your first teamers like for like is an utterly fucking stupid way of doing things.

My point was about .com thinking we were just going to make additions to the squad while common sense should tell you we won't stand for having players on large wages making up the numbers on the bench.

Not that I think both Nolan and Barton will go this summer anyway.

Guest BooBoo

Fairly concerned that we could be losing one if not both of Nolan and Barton who notwithstanding their contributions on the field, are clearly the heart and soul of the dressing room. Bin these two and there's few natural leaders in there.

Have to admit I am concerned about the players we might lose.  It is just such a risk to hope all the new players have the same kind of impact as Tiote did.  And even if they start off well, they might tail off like Chamakh did.  I would rather the team evolved than to be overhauled at this stage.

And whereas I think Pardew might have a say in his preferred signings, I don't think he has much say, if any, if the club decides they want to sell players.  And if they are sold, the fact that he constantly said he wanted to keep them gives him even less credibility.

I just see the club as becoming a bigger version of Wigan where we attract players to the club on the basis of introducing them to the Premier League and then selling them on for a profit within a year or two.

And I guess Colo and Jonas, if they are still here at the end of August, will know it will be their turn to be shown the exit door next year.

Really struggling to see how anyone can justify giving Nolan another 2-3 years on his contract. No way. The guy is on his way down, he's getting up there in age and his body is not in good condition.

He scored important goals last season, yes. So thanks for that Nolan, and all the best at West Ham where Allardyce's magic vibrating contraptions will make you younger and fitter allegedly.

With Ben Arfa coming back, and the potential signing of an N'Zogbia or Gervinho, not to mention at least one new quality striker, there will be more goals in the team. Lets get Tiote some real help in ther, whcih will allow him to even flourish more.

A risk worth taking imo. Bye Nolan.

Really struggling to see how anyone can justify giving Nolan another 2-3 years on his contract. No way. The guy is on his way down, he's getting up there in age and his body is not in good condition.

He scored important goals last season, yes. So thanks for that Nolan, and all the best at West Ham where Allardyce's magic vibrating contraptions will make you younger and fitter allegedly.

With Ben Arfa coming back, and the potential signing of an N'Zogbia or Gervinho, not to mention at least one new quality striker, there will be more goals in the team. Lets get Tiote some real help in ther, whcih will allow him to even flourish more.

A risk worth taking imo. Bye Nolan.

Very good post. Fully Agree.

Can't see anyone trying to justify giving him more years on his contract. Just don't think there's any point selling him unless he truly becomes a disruptive influence. But none of us will really know what effect it'll have. If he's not happy being on the bench so soon then that's a different argument all together. But if he's willing to be a team player, why ditch him?

Guest BooBoo

I think many on here severly underestimate Nolans contributions over the last 2 years. Im astonished that people would happily jettison our club captain, who is comfortably the best on pitch leader we have had since the days of, IMO, Barry "Bad Boy" Venison.

I think many on here severly underestimate Nolans contributions over the last 2 years. Im astonished that people would happily jettison our club captain, who is comfortably the best on pitch leader we have had since the days of, IMO, Barry "Bad Boy" Venison.

:thup:

Kaka is blinded by his hatred for Nolan, but he is right. We would have possibly be relegated without his goal haul, but ultimately you must aim for higher. Assemble players with athleticism, skill, technique and ability in possession of the ball and even if they're not as good 'goalscorers' as Nolan the idea is you create a more allround dynamic side that can dominate, outplay and outscore the opposition. People get this idea that 'take take out X player and all goals disappear'. Far too simplistic an attitude.

The major worry for me losing Nolan is that it's a slippery slope if the rest of the squad sees the captain and influencial member leaving. Ultimately Nolan should not being sold atleast until we KNOW we have a competent first XI. So yeah, Nolan should really be here next season. It's a very dangerous game just getting rid of such an influential off pitch and on pitch member.

Aye but youve got to look at the bigger picture man. If he doesnt  score, he doesnt contribute. The games pass him by. He isnt fit enough to get up and down the pitch all game. Tiote is doing the running of two blokes, and personally I think this contributed to him being booked so many times.

Nolan has been great, he helped us massivley coming up and last year with his goals. But as has been said, there is no room for sentiment. If we want to move on to the next level, we need more than just voices, we need top footballers and Kevin Nolan is not a top footballer.

Well if Cabaye, HBA and N'Zogbia end up in our midfield I suppose we'll just have to bite our tongues and force ourselves to watch. Scant consolation though it will be after losing Nolan.

what these lot are saying imo, if he's gonna be a passenger next year i think i'd rather take a chance on gosling filling his spot in the squad and use his (presumably) sizable wages elsewhere, perhaps to secure barton or a new striker

Gosling has less than 25 appearances at this level.

oh sorry i meant to say "take a chance" not "throw gosling in 'cause he'll be guaranteed to succeed"

and if it wasn't clear i meant assuming nolan was going to be a bench warmer due to new signings rather than a first team regular when i said take his spot in the squad, rather than team

Gosling has less than 25 appearances at this level.

oh sorry i meant to say "take a chance" not "throw gosling in 'cause he'll be guaranteed to succeed"

and if it wasn't clear i meant assuming nolan was going to be a bench warmer due to new signings rather than a first team regular when i said take his spot in the squad, rather than team

tiote, cabaye, jonas, gosling, HBA, gervinho/zog, ferguson, barton, smith (ahem), guthrie (ahem)

let's assume that's our midfield options next season and we're playing a variation of 4-3-3 frankly i don't see a lot of games myself for nolan

Kaka is blinded by his hatred for Nolan, but he is right. We would have possibly be relegated without his goal haul, but ultimately you must aim for higher. Assemble players with athleticism, skill, technique and ability in possession of the ball and even if they're not as good 'goalscorers' as Nolan the idea is you create a more allround dynamic side that can dominate, outplay and outscore the opposition. People get this idea that 'take take out X player and all goals disappear'. Far too simplistic an attitude.

The major worry for me losing Nolan is that it's a slippery slope if the rest of the squad sees the captain and influencial member leaving. Ultimately Nolan should not being sold atleast until we KNOW we have a competent first XI. So yeah, Nolan should really be here next season. It's a very dangerous game just getting rid of such an influential off pitch and on pitch member.

This. We all know Nolan isn't the best footballer out there but losing such an influential figure would be a massive blow to the club. This coming season is such an unknown (well imo anyway) especially with Pardew mentioning "Second Season Syndrome", so if the going gets tough, we need our senior figures to rally the troops.