Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Nolan was an after thought kind of signing' date=' a decision made based on short-term needs rather than long-term given Barton and Guthrie's injuries and the impending closure of the transfer window. We chanced our luck so late on by asking Bolton if they would sell and they said yeah, so we bought him. I doubt any planning at all went into buying Nolan, Taylor or the Danish lad. Bodies basically.[/quote']

Suppose I should make my point ;-)

You say the board lacked foresight when signing him, yet he turned out to be a great signing.

You now say they lack foresight when selling him, but won't admit that it might also turn out to be a great decision?

Guest Howaythetoon

Nolan was an after thought kind of signing' date=' a decision made based on short-term needs rather than long-term given Barton and Guthrie's injuries and the impending closure of the transfer window. We chanced our luck so late on by asking Bolton if they would sell and they said yeah, so we bought him. I doubt any planning at all went into buying Nolan, Taylor or the Danish lad. Bodies basically.[/quote']

Wow :lol:

2 decent seasons and you're an icon?

3 goals and Asprilla become one.

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a s*** load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a s*** load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

All well and good, and I think most people admire him for that. However would you have advocated a 5 year deal on said wages?

I would have yes.

Thank God you're not our chairman then. Funny you talk about an age of "mercenaries, crocks or scumbags", yet would happily have paid a player £50k a week aged 33 when he'd no doubt be on the bench if not out of the squad full stop.

And before you say we could sell before that point, look how hard it's been to shift Smith & Butt on that sort of wage.

Without his goals we wouldn't have been promoted. Without his goals we would have went down. Nolan is worth 50k a week even over 5 years.

Nolan wasn't just a player or goalscorer, he was our captain who had a positive influence on every aspect of the club, most importantly in that dressing room. You can't buy that almost and such contributions as have been proved can be priceless to a club.

Nolan could have become a coach here, maybe for the academy or reserves and perhaps even one day assistant manager and even manager. He is that kind of dependable bloke, a good guy, a passionate football man who can contribute much more than playing and scoring goals.

I'm not surprised he's been sold though. The powers that be have zero foresight and zero loyalty to a man who made them millions and saved them even more.

Me, I'd have used the saved wages of say someone sold like I don't know Ranger and given a percentage of that to Nolan, our club captain and star trooper if you like.

I bet Pardew is seething personally at this and you just know Nolan will be gutted and so too will the squad in general too.

This thread has been quite an eye opener for me, people really don't seem to think this is important. For me it is as you say, priceless.

They are important factors. Would you have him start most games next season! I didn't see him as a starter, do you really think he would have been such a positive influence then? He's been an automatic starter mist of his career, I don't think he would have taken too kindly to being benched.

They are important factor. Would you have him start most games next season! I didn't see him as a starter, do you really think he would have been such a positive influence then? He's been an automatic starter mist of his career, I don't think he would have taken too kindly to being benched.

This, it was only a week ago when we were all making our formations with players we were rumoured to be in for and we were all forced to include Nolan because we know he would starts as club captain yet he shouldn't actually be in there.

For me, in an era when for the last 5 years or so the vast majority of our players have been proper mercenaries, crocks or scumbags or all 3, Nolan represented the good things about this club of ours and our game and he carried himself well as captain. It hardly ever gets mentioned but he did a s*** load of community work, he visited 4 hospitals in one day for example and helped with the club's foundation a great deal too. He also scored a hat-trick against the mackems and scored a s*** load from midfield in consecutive seasons. Not bad for a very limited player.

All well and good, and I think most people admire him for that. However would you have advocated a 5 year deal on said wages?

I would have yes.

Thank God you're not our chairman then. Funny you talk about an age of "mercenaries, crocks or scumbags", yet would happily have paid a player £50k a week aged 33 when he'd no doubt be on the bench if not out of the squad full stop.

And before you say we could sell before that point, look how hard it's been to shift Smith & Butt on that sort of wage.

Without his goals we wouldn't have been promoted. Without his goals we would have went down. Nolan is worth 50k a week even over 5 years.

Nolan wasn't just a player or goalscorer, he was our captain who had a positive influence on every aspect of the club, most importantly in that dressing room. You can't buy that almost and such contributions as have been proved can be priceless to a club.

Nolan could have become a coach here, maybe for the academy or reserves and perhaps even one day assistant manager and even manager. He is that kind of dependable bloke, a good guy, a passionate football man who can contribute much more than playing and scoring goals.

I'm not surprised he's been sold though. The powers that be have zero foresight and zero loyalty to a man who made them millions and saved them even more.

Me, I'd have used the saved wages of say someone sold like I don't know Ranger and given a percentage of that to Nolan, our club captain and star trooper if you like.

I bet Pardew is seething personally at this and you just know Nolan will be gutted and so too will the squad in general too.

This thread has been quite an eye opener for me, people really don't seem to think this is important. For me it is as you say, priceless.

We offered him a very good contract, he turned it down. His choice.

Look at the teams which are finishing top 6 every season and ask yourselves this: would they buy Nolan? If not why not? Isn't his leadership and captaincy just as vital for their dressing rooms? Why is it only us who are going to collapse without Kev's input?

I'm more surprised that WHU have offered anyone a £55k pw contract from the position they are in now. Fair play to Nolan for squeezing that contract out of them. I'm just delighted it wasn't NUFC offering stupid long term contracts to ageing players. Hopefully those days are a thing of the past.

I'm just delighted it wasn't NUFC offering stupid long term contracts to ageing players. Hopefully those days are a thing of the past.

I think it's fairly obvious they are.

Guest johnson293

I'm more surprised that WHU have offered anyone a £55k pw contract from the position they are in now. Fair play to Nolan for squeezing that contract out of them. I'm just delighted it wasn't NUFC offering stupid long term contracts to ageing players. Hopefully those days are a thing of the past.

Maybe he did a Luque, and when asked what he wanted, just plucked a figure (and contract term) out of the air, and couldn't believe when they agreed!!

Guest johnson293

Didn't we offer him £55k for 4 years? Surprised at that and pleased West Ham did stump up.

I thought it was 3 yrs we offered him? Not sure about the wage.

Guest WashyGeordie

As people's already summed up, thanks for the memories Kev! Never forget your 4 goals against the mackems and our promotion run-in.

Loved black and white daft's 3rd issue front cover (what Tino's holding):

http://www.blackandwhitedaft.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Issue-4-Cover-724x1024.jpg

:smitten:

Guest Chris P

Of all people this is last person i wanted to leave. I really do not know what to think at the moment.  :dowie: There is something about the club that's one foot forwards two steps backwards. Only the people at the top know how to solve it. I just hope that there really is a structure/ business plan that moves the club and incidentally the City forwards. 

Of all people this is last person i wanted to leave. I really do not know what to think at the moment.  :dowie: There is something about the club that's one foot forwards two steps backwards. Only the people at the top know how to solve it. I just hope that there really is a structure/ business plan that moves the club and incidentally the City forwards. 

Really? I honestly can't understand that personally.

Guest Chris P

Really? I honestly can't understand that personally.

Fair enough.

I would have yes.

If you have a player who is extremely influential in the dressing-room, and he's in a major grump about not getting the contract he wanted, then that influence is actually, if you think about, all the more reason to move him on.

Why are so many people completely ignoring the fact Nolan was offered a very good deal to stay on, which he chose to decline?  We didn't kick him out on to the street ffs.

What West Ham offered Nolan was absolutely ridiculous and I'm sure he still can't believe his luck.  For us to offer the same thing would have been downright stupid and something straight out of the Freddy Shepherd school of business.

I would have yes.

If you have a player who is extremely influential in the dressing-room, and he's in a major grump about not getting the contract he wanted, then that influence is actually, if you think about, all the more reason to move him on.

Very true and overlooked somewhat. Just look at Barton making waves now and leading to headlines of "mass exodus". Jose and Jonas are getting dragged into this as well.

Why are so many people completely ignoring the fact Nolan was offered a very good deal to stay on, which he chose to decline?  We didn't kick him out on to the street ffs.

What West Ham offered Nolan was absolutely ridiculous and I'm sure he still can't believe his luck.  For us to offer the same thing would have been downright stupid and something straight out of the Freddy Shepherd school of business.