Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

"Not a sniff of goal or an assist" didn't really sound like praise for a better performance which, were it not for poor finishing, could have lead to two or three assists.

I think he's pretty invaluable to our threadbare midfield, very few of whom can actually run the ball out of our half for more than thirty yards without developing a stitch. Definitely not a candidate to consider "moving on" in this window or any other in the foreseeable future.

That's it really. While I agree with the criticism that his end product is usually mediocre at best, at the moment he's a key player because he can run with the ball without running out of breath.

this thread appears to be on loop.

That is true.

Jonas has a great engine, wins free kicks, fully engages and occupies whatever the other team has lined up on their right hand side and gets the full attention of some of their other players as well. But he isn't a great crosser of the ball. And another 50 pages on here won't change that. 

That is true.

Jonas has a great engine, wins free kicks, fully engages and occupies whatever the other team has lined up on their right hand side and gets the full attention of some of their other players as well. But he isn't a great crosser of the ball. And another 50 pages on here won't change that. 

Exactly. I'm fairly sure the managers we've had in his time here are fully aware of his strengths and weaknesses and weigh up all the options before deciding to play him. If he's on the pitch there's probably a good reason for it unless they are all wrong.

That is true.

Exactly. I'm fairly sure the managers we've had in his time here are fully aware of his strengths and weaknesses and weigh up all the options before deciding to play him. If he's on the pitch there's probably a good reason for it unless they are all wrong.

Just let enrique cross for him!

And not a sniff of a goal or an assist. Hopefully Ben Arfa will return and remind folk what a winger is supposed to do.

Hopefully when Ben Arfa returns he'll play in the hole, alongside Jonas on the left, so we can have all our best players in the same side in their best positions. :aww:

And not a sniff of a goal or an assist. Hopefully Ben Arfa will return and remind folk what a winger is supposed to do.

Hopefully when Ben Arfa returns he'll play in the hole, alongside Jonas on the left, so we can have all our best players in the same side in their best positions. :aww:

I agree with this, Jonas is more a continental type of winger who play 'pass and run' instead of going to the byline and whipping in a cross (crossing is just not his game although it has improved a bit of late). Right now the only who can play this passing game with him is Enrique and perhaps Barton to a lesser extent. That is why Ben Arfa is so important to us, not just for his own ability but also because he can bring out the best in a few others, including and I think especially Jonas.

By the way, did anyone else notice that he played a couple of times down the right hand side and got in two great crosses, both first time aswell...

Goes to show he may be better used on that side, if joey was injured or whatever!!

By the way, did anyone else notice that he played a couple of times down the right hand side and got in two great crosses, both first time aswell...

Goes to show he may be better used on that side, if joey was injured or whatever!!

I've been saying this since he signed for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Surprised no one's commented on the quality of his crosses today. Impressed :thup:

He put in some very good ones indeed today, and a few top quality ones.

There's no doubt he CAN cross, because he has shown he can, it's just most of the time he's falling over while he's doing it

Guest neesy111

This is the problem with him, when he plays well he never turns into consistency over a number of games.  Maybe we need to feel like we love him.

He's worth having in the team just incase he plays like this. There's no way i'd drop him when Ben Arfa comes back and i've always taken this stance. Completely pointless just replacing him. Ben Arfa will probably galvanise him, if anything.