Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

He's had all sorts of abuse on here "not a footballer" etc. But I like him, he's not a conventional wide player but he is a constant threat down our left that the other side cannot ignore. He draws in opposing defenders, wins free kicks and takes the pressure off our defence. He does a good job for us imo.

Nail on head.

:thup:

Jonas is a better 'footballer' than Duff in the same way Guthrie is superior to Nolan. We all know which one comes up with the goods when it matters, though. I can't stand Duff, but he's far, far more effective than Jonas at this level.

How do you measure effectiveness?  This season they have one goal each, Duff has 1 assist while Jonas has 2.

Jonas is a better 'footballer' than Duff in the same way Guthrie is superior to Nolan. We all know which one comes up with the goods when it matters, though. I can't stand Duff, but he's far, far more effective than Jonas at this level.

What the fuck? Duff was absolute fucking horse-shite. Statistically and literally.

He's not got the merest of scratches on Jonas when it comes to performances for us. Duff provided us with absolutely nothing, atleast Jonas gives us a bit of pace etc (see quayside's excellent post).

You can't judge players solely by a set of fucking statistics. Jonas is shit at crossing and can't shoot for sausage, but he beats players, takes the pressure off the defence and at least makes the defender have to bother running after him, and as mentioned he wins free-kicks.

Duff however, will probably score a goal or 2 more than zero but contributes asbolutely fuck all else. He completely ruins the momentum of any attack by turning back and passing all the way back to the goalkeeper from the oppositions 18 yard box, and most importantly he's a stupid irish cunt.

I'm off to bed :)

In the past, N-O have had threads about the limitations of Robert, Milner, N'Zogbia, Dyer, Duff...basically every wide player we've signed in the past decade.  Laziness, never beating their man, not being able to cross....

Jonas isn't exactly world class, but there are some high standards on here.

What the fuck? Duff was absolute fucking horse-shite. Statistically and literally.

He's not got the merest of scratches on Jonas when it comes to performances for us. Duff provided us with absolutely nothing, atleast Jonas gives us a bit of pace etc (see quayside's excellent post).

Yep, Duff's crossing was just as bad if not worse than Jonas's. The only thing he had on Jonas was that he could lift them consistently, but they were always the floated sort that would just bounce out of the box all the time.

Jonas is the only player we have at the moment who willingly takes on his man, that's priceless imo. He also probably covers the most distance of all our players, and tracks back very well.If he had better end product he would probably be playing for Real Madrid. Definitely one of my favourite players.

Jonas is the only player we have at the moment who willingly takes on his man, that's priceless imo. He also probably covers the most distance of all our players, and tracks back very well.If he had better end product he would probably be playing for Real Madrid. Definitely one of my favourite players.

Spot on! His defensive duties cannot be underestimated. He gives Enrique a lot of help. Also he's frequently  awarded free kicks in good positions. And we've scored on many of them.

Spot on! His defensive duties cannot be underestimated. He gives Enrique a lot of help. Also he's frequently  awarded free kicks in good positions. And we've scored on many of them.

I thought that taking Jonas off at SOS was our downfall tbh, he's a good outlet when defending even if it is just to get the ball further down the pitch with a run.

Spot on! His defensive duties cannot be underestimated. He gives Enrique a lot of help. Also he's frequently  awarded free kicks in good positions. And we've scored on many of them.

I thought that taking Jonas off at SOS was our downfall tbh, he's a good outlet when defending even if it is just to get the ball further down the pitch with a run.

I reacted on that substitution too. When we're in the lead, and the game is coming to an end, it's strange to substitute one of the most devoted players we got.

Yeah played bloody well today, link up play was spot on. Had a couple of half chances he didn't hit well, but put a number of decent balls into the box and ran their defenders ragged. Enrique was unbelievably good, but Jonas (and a couple of others to be fair) weren't far behind. 

He's had all sorts of abuse on here "not a footballer" etc. But I like him, he's not a conventional wide player but he is a constant threat down our left that the other side cannot ignore. He draws in opposing defenders, wins free kicks and takes the pressure off our defence. He does a good job for us imo.

Agreed, he often gets slated on here but it's the in thing to do at the moment.

Played well today.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Some nice crosses from him for the past 2 games. Are we seeing a new Jonas?

It's not that he could never cross, because he could. I think he's just looking up more, rather than falling over trying to cross reaching the byline.

Some nice crosses from him for the past 2 games. Are we seeing a new Jonas?

nah. Just his usually hit and miss. Worst moments in our games are always when Jonas is going to shoot or cross...

One note I discovered though is that you tend to sees him quite a lot in the middle of the park. I like that. Just a shame that he could´t pass the ball better.

What I can say for Jonas is he's a solid wide-midfielder. With what he offers, on the pitch most particularly in terms of energy and his willingness to use it, as well as his off-pitch character, he's a player you can build a club upon. He won't take a club all the way, someone like Ben Arfa is a natural and appropriate upgrade, but he's reliable and can play a positive role, by no means least including that of assisting his teammates to play well. Even his failings are reliable, and there's something to be said for that.

Guest TrueToon

Bags of energy,End product not up to scratch.He puts a good ball in probably one in 5 times he gets in behind.He has really lanky legs and he gets tangled up quite easy.He needs to be more composed in the final third.I think if he worked on his final ball we could be on to a TOP PLAYER!

Not blaming him for our lack of chances though because he still created some good chances for our strikers...

Nail on head.

:thup:

Have to agree with this as well.

I think he'd be much more effective if he ran straight at defenders between the full back and the center back.  He would cause much more havoc and create more space out wide for Enrique to fill in and if need-be get some actual crosses in.

Sick of reading about how good he would be with a final ball. He's a super athlete and an atrocious footballer and folk are just going to have to come to terms with this. Hopefully with him sitting on the bench till the 75th minute.

Sick of reading about how good he would be with a final ball. He's a super athlete and an atrocious footballer and folk are just going to have to come to terms with this. Hopefully with him sitting on the bench till the 75th minute.

If he is such a bad footballer why are you bringing him on?