Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest bimpy474

What  :lol:

I love Jonas, i just don't think he's one of the "untouchables" now we have Anita and Marveaux is back from injury.

Ahhh i see.

He was a real man out there today, along with Ben Arfa. You could see he's come back into pre-season determined not to be dropped for any new recruits. The purchase of Anita could see a marked improvement in technical performance to go along with his usual work ethic, from Jonas.

Was really delighted to see him fight for the shirt like a man possessed. Top class player.

Agree completely with Ronaldo - he's simply a must in the starting XI against the better teams. He was magnificent in the middle of the park today, ran himself to a standstill. His pressing and harassing, even in the 93rd minute, was ridiculous.

Love the man, seems to relish being captain too. :aww:

I thought he was very poor first half. Gave the ball away countless times and tried silly passes too many times.

Much better second half and I was relieved he stayed on the pitch and Yohan came off.

Guest ThievingMagpie

He's vital for the team against bigger sides simply because he's an all around engine, damn pity we've "shunted" him out on the wing and haven't tried him in midfield sooner, looks like he was made for a three man midfield.

He's vital for the team against bigger sides simply because he's an all around engine, damn pity we've "shunted" him out on the wing and haven't tried him in midfield sooner, looks like he was made for a three man midfield.

He is, you have the destroyer (Tiote), creator (Cabaye) and the carrier (Jonas) all a perfect mix. Anita gives a different option where he sits deep and links the defence to the attack without the long ball.

Between him and Jonas it's tough to choice which one we go for but it's real top end of the table options :)

He is, you have the destroyer (Tiote), creator (Cabaye) and the carrier (Jonas) all a perfect mix. Anita gives a different option where he sits deep and links the defence to the attack without the long ball.

Between him and Jonas it's tough to choice which one we go for but it's real top end of the table options :)

Some spiritual Hindu-ass-shit there mind, Cajun. I agree. Divine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimurti

Some spiritual Hindu-ass-shit there mind, Cajun. I agree. Divine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimurti

That is actually amazing :lol:

We would not have won today without Jonas. I don't know why I am still amazed at his work rate, he'd done that ever since hes joined us. He'll go down as a bit of a cult hero when he leaves/retires from Newcastle. He's probably one of those that we may appreciate more when he has gone.

We would not have won today without Jonas. I don't know why I am still amazed at his work rate, he'd done that ever since hes joined us. He'll go down as a bit of a cult hero when he leaves/retires from Newcastle. He's probably one of those that we may appreciate more when he has gone.

Cult hero seems a bit harsh for someone of his quality. Okay if he was better with his end product he would have been top class but then we probably wouldn't have got him. Cult hero status for me is those who are deemed as shite but perform well above that level despite still only being average (Sibierski is the perfect example). Jonas with end product would have been one of our best wingers ever, without it he is a very good, hardworking player who should be looked back on as an important player during that era.

Cult hero seems a bit harsh for someone of his quality. Okay if he was better with his end product he would have been top class but then we probably wouldn't have got him. Cult hero status for me is those who are deemed as s**** but perform well above that level despite still only being average (Sibierski is the perfect example). Jonas with end product would have been one of our best wingers ever, without it he is a very good, hardworking player who should be looked back on as an important player during that era.

I don't mean it in the sense hes a weak player but played an important part, I see someone as a cult hero as someone who's a bit eccentric a bit out there so to speak but you look back and love them. He will certainly looked back as some kind of hero for us, so a cult hero was the only thing I could really think to call him.

Cult hero seems a bit harsh for someone of his quality. Okay if he was better with his end product he would have been top class but then we probably wouldn't have got him. Cult hero status for me is those who are deemed as s**** but perform well above that level despite still only being average (Sibierski is the perfect example). Jonas with end product would have been one of our best wingers ever, without it he is a very good, hardworking player who should be looked back on as an important player during that era.

I don't mean it in the sense hes a weak player but played an important part, I see someone as a cult hero as someone who's a bit eccentric a bit out there so to speak but you look back and love them. He will certainly looked back as some kind of hero for us, so a cult hero was the only thing I could really think to call him.

:thup:

Yeah, I also think a cult hero is a player that fans of other clubs don't tend to rate, aren't too bothered about being up against etc but fans of the club they play for know how important they are. Jonas falls perfectly into that category.

Jonas is an excellent player and I would guess that the players around him appreciate him more than we do because he gives everything he's got in nearly every match.  I don't think we have another player at the club who puts as much effort in during a game. He helps out going forward and defending and he'll also go central to help out.  I'd be surprised if any of our players win us as many free kicks than him and most of them are justified because he puts his body between the opposition and the ball and he makes them foul him.

• 2 weeks later...

He really didn't play it recently? I think he did last season on more than just one occasion...

Jonas studying central role

Jonas Gutierrez says he is working hard to improve his game so that he can operate more effectively in the heart of Newcastle's midfield.

Gutierrez is known as a versatile performer and, although he usually plays on the wing, he has been asked to fill a number of different roles over the years.

The Argentina international has had to play in the middle this season and he says he is studying the world's best in a bid to get better.

"I have never played in the centre of midfield before, or maybe I did a long time ago, but not recently," he told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

"It is something all players may have to do this season with the extra games."

Gutierrez accepts he may not be able to produce man-of-the-match performances in his new position, but he hopes to remain consistent.

He explained: "My attitude is that I try to play at least 7/10. I try to do the job the manager wants me to do. Maybe I won't be spectacular in that role, but I know that I will do a good job.

Learning

"I try to improve, when I have been given this role I try to watch other players who have played this position.

"It is the most important thing in football - you need to understand where you need to be at certain moments in the game.

"When I play left-back, central midfield, in the No.10 role, I always try to find the best position to be in.

"The biggest thing is that you need to know exactly where you should be because when you are in your normal position you do it naturally.

"So I watch the best players in the world who play in central midfield and look to them.

"I watch a lot of left-backs and central midfielders to learn about them."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8060055/Jonas-studying-central-role